some jpegs working and others not....

evil_ss

WiiChat Member
Nov 2, 2007
Ive got some of my jpegs to work on the wii but some unknown reason others do not. Id there any reason why some jpegs work and other do not?. Its just really stumped me

Are they not being recognized at all? (No thumbnail in the image browser or a faulty thumbnail?). I'm assuming you have them all at the same directory/folder level.

My money would be on them having funky header bytes that's preventing the Wii OS from handing them properly - this could be (this is highly speculative on my part) from being processed through some image editing app, or a bulk/batch resizing/re-sampling app?

If you can ID one that's not working, open it on your PC (no idea if these were copied over from a PC, or the SD card was loaded directly from your camera?) - resave it to the card, see if that clears up the file format.

Any other info would be helpful to debug this too.

~DT

I had the same problem back in February but then one of the wii updates fixed it.

Have you downloaded all the wii firmware updates?

correct there no recognised at all, in the wii menu some of them just come up as '?', but there all in the jpeg format and i havnt renamed any of them, there still the same generic name the camera gives them.
I havnt got a wireless connection so no updates as yet.
Ill have to try renaming them and see what happens.

If they're direct from your camera without passing through a PC (or photoediting) then that's extra weird. Are they at a different resolution than the others? (That doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but just tossing some ideas around).

I mean barring some *random* change in the file structure that prevents the Wii from reading them, there has to be some difference between pics you can view and pics you can't.

Off the top of my head:

- Resolution / density [bpp]
- Compression
- Filename
- File structure

That last item I would normally suspect would come from moving them off the camera to a PC and editing them. Does you camera have support for imbedded preview/thumbnail of some sort? I mean, there's a dozen JPG versions.

Back