media formats supported...?

darthv72

WiiChat Member
Dec 19, 2007
In the wii manual it states mp3 playback and quicktime playback. I am trying to play mov files from my cameras SD card. I use a kodak camera and it saves video in .MOV format and I can change quality from good (320x240) to best (640x480) and it would be nice to just pop out my SD card and put it in the wii.

It works for the pictures but not the video and I can't figure out why. Motion JPEG is also supported and if I take the original video from the camera and run it through Wii Video9 it converts it to an avi file which plays on the wii. Something is a miss as if the wii can do mov then why cant it play an mov file from a digital camera or cell phone?

The mp3 part has changed to aac with the recent update so i am not really worried about that. I just want to be able to play video from my camera like i can with still pictures.

On a side note...will there be support for flash drives that have pictures or possibly photo cd's?

Quicktime is a video format container and not strictly speaking a video format in itself.

According to the Wii manual, it says:
Format: QuickTime (motion JPEG), (.avi files).
Size: Up to 848 x 480.

So basically that means it will only play Motion JPEG encoded videos in a QuickTime container.

Back