Wii Photo Channel getting updates in December

they could skip all this problems by just creating a media channel in which you can watch videos and save them to the wii same as with audio files like mp3, ogg and aac since aac and ogg are cheap they won't have that much problem..And mp3 is much more common for users...I can easily convert my mp3 files to aac but just because nintendo will only read aac files now? Yeah I know they are trying to use aac and leave back mp3 cause aac is going to be like the new file association for audio but for the meantime that is not that popular yet...They should leave both types..MP3 and AAC.

*In my point of view they should only create a Media Channel and problem is solved which will have many different type of files associations.

Eddy04 said:
they could skip all this problems by just creating a media channel in which you can watch videos and save them to the wii same as with audio files like mp3, ogg and aac since aac and ogg are cheap they won't have that much problem..And mp3 is much more common for users...I can easily convert my mp3 files to aac but just because nintendo will only read aac files now? Yeah I know they are trying to use aac and leave back mp3 cause aac is going to be like the new file association for audio but for the meantime that is not that popular yet...They should leave both types..MP3 and AAC.

*In my point of view they should only create a Media Channel and problem is solved which will have many different type of files associations.
remember that people do have a choice to download. A media channel is a great idea. I have always wanted Nintendo to put one up. It is like my dream to have one and I am still waiting for it.

Eddy04 said:
since aac and ogg are cheap they won't have that much problem..
Ogg is beyond "cheap". Ogg is the only 100% free one. AAC requires a patent license. As does MP3. Software patents = BAD.

I can easily convert my mp3 files to aac
Except the end result will sound far-worse than if the AAC was created directly from the original uncompressed stream. Both AAC and MP3 use lossy compression, meaning data is thrown out. Each uses different way to determine what to throw out. For one lossy format to be converted to another lossy format, it first needs to be "reconstituted" into an imperfect approximation of the original audio, then recompressed again, resulting in double the data loss.

All sorts of Bad Things happen when you overlay two different lossy compression streams upon the same data. You can get bizarre distortion and compression artifacts that result from what one might call "compression interference/harmonics" although there's probably a better term.

sremick said:
This is idiotic. Not that I use the photo channel, so I can only get so worked-up about this... but replacing MP3 support with AAC? Will someone please hit Nintendo over the head with a clue-stick please? Granted, I don't care since I don't use the channel and I'm technically-adept, so I have no problem converting a WAV to MP3/OGG/AAC, but the average user is not going to have a clue how to make an AAC, nor do they get their music from friends in AAC.

I can understand adding AAC support, but to remove MP3 support in the process is just plain stupid.

If they really wanted to make a statement, they could add Ogg Vorbis support.

Agreed. But I am definitely glad about the addition of AAC support. That means more room on my SD card for other stuff.

Kherrek508 said:
Agreed. But I am definitely glad about the addition of AAC support. That means more room on my SD card for other stuff.
Nintendo giveth some, but taketh away much in the process. I'm not sure the trade is worth it. Having MP3 support (even without AAC) leaves the feature open and far-more accessible for a greater-range of users. What they're doing is extremely narrowing the userbase of customers who will be able to utilize and make sense of the feature, for the sake of saving some space.

Leaving MP3 support and adding AAC = makes sense. Widen your audience for not much money (AAC license fees).

Leaving MP3 support and adding Ogg Vorbis = makes sense. Widen your audience for free and earn major Karma in the computer industry for supporting open, free standards.

Leaving MP3 support and adding AAC and adding Ogg Vorbis = makes even more sense, as it doesn't cost any additional money than just adding AAC but widens your audience even further.

Removing MP3 support and replacing with just AAC support = makes no sense.

sremick said:
Nintendo giveth some, but taketh away much in the process. I'm not sure the trade is worth it. Having MP3 support (even without AAC) leaves the feature open and far-more accessible for a greater-range of users. What they're doing is extremely narrowing the userbase of customers who will be able to utilize and make sense of the feature, for the sake of saving some space.

Leaving MP3 support and adding AAC = makes sense. Widen your audience for not much money (AAC license fees).

Leaving MP3 support and adding Ogg Vorbis = makes sense. Widen your audience for free and earn major Karma in the computer industry for supporting open, free standards.

Leaving MP3 support and adding AAC and adding Ogg Vorbis = makes even more sense, as it doesn't cost any additional money than just adding AAC but widens your audience even further.

Removing MP3 support and replacing with just AAC support = makes no sense.

I agree with you...But right now I am thinking of the poor people that is going to buy their wii after this update they won't have the opportunity to decide either they want to use mp3 or aac making it troublesome for the audience that nintendo wants to reach to.

Back