Speaker on Wiimote

Evil Panda

WiiChat Member
May 9, 2006
IGN claim to have found final secret in the Wii control: A speaker in the control, not exactly big news...

Nintendo today unveiled the final piece in the Wii controller puzzle: a built-in speaker placed in the middle of the freehand-style pointer.

The square audio outlet is used to deliver "in-your-hand" aural immersion. Since the right-hand Wii-mote is used for direct interaction with objects in the games, Nintendo included the controller speaker to give players direct audio feedback pertaining to do those objects.

For example, when you are casting your lure while fishing in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, you can hear the whirring of the line as you flick the controller forward. Likewise, when you nock your arrow and pull back the bow string in the game, you can actually hear the creaking and more accurately feel the tension on the string.
Edit: Just noticed a hardware section, sorry! Please move

Last edited:
This is a really nice feature and adds even more depth to the Wii remote, cant wait to hear the sound of my rifle reloading when playing Call of duty 3 :p

I cant wait, imagine hearing your gun going off right in your hand !!!! or the creaking of a bow right before you fire of an arrow... This is might not have been the big secret but I sure still love it !!!

This is totally a really awesome little detail on the controller. Gun blasts, reloads, lightsabre hums, swordfights, radiophone, policeradio, high-tech helmet/suit's status reports or warnings, sounds of anything you touch or use ingame, ... :D

And what about the microphone, might it have that too? It could be used not only for online voice chat but in the multiple ways we've seen on the DS and even more.

Without a doubt this is a great feature, nintendo really are putting the controls at the forefront of the console - i just hope the launch titles will maximize them.

To tell you the truth, I wasn't expecting this to be the last secret. Since this is though, I'm kind of dissapointed, unless there are more secrets to come.

Interesting find!

I am quite excited about this, new technologies it isn't, but cool it is!

It is a good idea and thing to create but to get us so hyped up about something and then make it not that big is quite annoying...But still i will get the will over the PS3 anyday because of the new innotavive ideas it is something different not to mention that ps3 is going to be same as 360 pretty much :)

The speaker on the Wiimote definitly add to the already innovative controller. Imagine the capabilities with the speaker added to the motion sensing Wiimote.

Last edited:
The speaker isn't just for another speaker, but it is synchronized to produce different sounds. ie: you hit the ball with the racket, and hear the slapping of the ball on the racket (from the remote) then the sound of the ball slapping the court (on the tv) with a delay, as if your actually there playing in real time. Very realistic feature that will make the dumbest games enjoyable, and the best games a cinematic adventure unlike no other.

I'd like to see, or should I say hear, Zelda or any shooting game with that feature!

tuned said:
The speaker isn't just for another speaker, but it is synchronized to produce different sounds. ie: you hit the ball with the racket, and hear the slapping of the ball on the racket (from the remote) then the sound of the ball slapping the court (on the tv) with a delay, as if your actually there playing in real time. Very realistic feature that will make the dumbest games enjoyable, and the best games a cinematic adventure unlike no other.

I'd like to see, or should I say hear, Zelda or any shooting game with that feature!
Hmmm, they are using the IR technology to know how far away you are from the TV, I wonder if any of the game developers will think of this....

also, it's not the final feature. They announced the speaker at E3, but also said that there was still more to come

Back