Special case of Wii not powering on.

nova

WiiChat Member
Aug 3, 2009
Hi I'm new in this forum. My wii simply doesn't turn on anymore. I have seen other threads however none of them applies to my case...

Since about a year ago, my wii wouldn't read many discs, so, since there is no FREE nintendo hardware support where I live in Mexico, I decided to open it up and clean up the reader. I had to do that several times until TODAY. I opened it up and since cleaning the reader no longer worked, I figured increasing the potentiometer would work.

It actually worked more or less fine, so I decided to open it up again to increase it just a bit further. BUT after increasing just tiny bit of the potentionmeter I decided to turn on the wii to check how good was it. However I accidentally presed the led instead of the power botton with my screwdriver and suddenly a little bit of smoke rose up and from there after it would no longer turn on. (Note that the wii front cover was off)

I don't know what to do, I'm panicked. I've had that wii since launch and it has ALL my save games. I wouldn't mind that much buying a new wii if i could only rescue my saves.

Does anybody hay any idea on what to do?

Hiya, its me. I COULD help ya out a bit. What you could possibly do is buy a new Wii and have a memory transplant (more or less like a kidney or liver transplant) but what i highly advise next time you get a wii, INSTALL BOOTMII ;D

Well, you fried your Wii. There's nothing really anyone can do now.

They're not made to be user-servicable. There's a reason the Wii uses security screws... it's a way of Nintendo telling you: "Don't open this up, there's nothing you can do and you'll probably do damage". Which you did.

Those potentiometers are meant to be calibrated at the factory by a trained technician using special tools. Not people messing around with a screwdriver because the figured out how to open the Wii.

I understand there's no free support in Mexico but you should've opted for some sort of paid professional support, because as you'll see now that would've been cheaper than a new Wii (and having to start all-over on all your games).

Back