Strange WiFi USB connector help

Bloodfin182

WiiChat Member
Dec 17, 2006
So I've had the USB connector for about a week now and everything has been working perfectly. I installed it smoothly, it was all fine, and both my Wii and DS were working online.

Now last night, I look over and see the blue light on my Wii come on, so I get on and check the message.....it tries to connect to the internet, but doesnt work. I thought it was really weird, I checked my settings - nothing was changed. Everything looked normal on the computer.....

So I went to bed, and tried fixing it again today, but still no luck. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the software. Tried moving the connector farther away (said to on Nintendos site) Wont work

I'm getting Error Code: 51340 which I looked up, and tried what I could find to fix it. And another thing which I think is weird, is that its still working perfectly fine for my DS. Was just playing online a minute ago:scared:

Any ideas?

Try this:

Step: 1
Go to start>run>cmd

Step: 2
Type "/ipconfig/all" in the command prompt
Locate your dns address; there should be two different ones there. i:e 117.35.7.98; 119.35.7.99

Step: 3
Connect your Nintendo USB Wifi Connector
Go to My Network Connection and right click the USB connection and go to properties.

Step: 4
Under the General Tab there will be a list of options look for Internet Protocol TCP/IP Highlight it then click Properties
Now, click Use the Following DNS Addresses
Enter your two in and see if your Wii will now connect online

I'm not sure if it will work for you but it wouldn't hurt to give it a try. I may have just been lucky. Please post a response and tell me your results. Also I'm using the Official Nintendo Connector not the Datel one. By the way I was getting both 52140 and 51340 error. So this may or may not work for you.

Well I just did what you said (pretty sure I did it all right) and then when I did the connection test it gave me a new error. Its error 51040 now.....

Wow, I was just playing my DS online and everything was working fine.....then got disconnected in the middle of my race. When I tried to connect back I was getting an "unable to locate USB connector" error. Then I went to settings and did a test and all that. Still didnt work.......Went back and did it again, and then it worked fine. So I dont know wtf is up....

Last edited:
Is the firewall on your computer ZoneAlarm? The WiFi USB connector isn't compatible with ZoneAlarm firewalls, according to the Nintendo troubleshooting. In fact, if you have ZoneAlarm you can't just turn it off, you have to completely uninstall it. That fixed all my problems, just got a different firewall.

No, I'm not using that firewall......I dont think it has anything to do with that kind of stuff though really, because the thing worked perfect for both my Wii and DS like the first week. Now its only working (sporadically?) for my DS, and not all for my Wii.....

Bloodfin182 said:
No, I'm not using that firewall......I dont think it has anything to do with that kind of stuff though really, because the thing worked perfect for both my Wii and DS like the first week. Now its only working (sporadically?) for my DS, and not all for my Wii.....

Yeah mine was the exact same. Worked for the first week, etc. But anyway, if you don't have ZoneAlarm, and you put those DNS addresses in, then I'm not sure what it is. Maybe interference from something else?

Hope you get it worked out.

Well I'm pretty sure I did the DNS address right, although I'm not really sure what that does.

And I read about the interference thing too, but the connector is only probably 5 feet from my Wii, and there is like no other wireless things in my room anyway......

Did you try using the USB cord that comes with the connector? Also if it gives you the 51340 error just take the connector out and put it back in. Thats what I did and it worked but changed to the 52140 error but the DNS fixed that.

It seems like the USB Connector has been giving alot of problems, and only after the first week of use. I'm considering buying one but if I am going to be faced with connection problems after only the first week I don't know if it is going to be worth my money.
Any suggestions on other options that may be better?

People. 'IF' you have broadband (dsl/cable) DON'T buy those Nintendo Wifi USB adapters. Go buy a linksys, DLink or Netgear router/firewall. Use that for ALL your Internet access, wired and wireless.

You won't have to worry about leaving your PC on and security is much better. And don't worry, the DS, Wii and even a 360 or PS3 will connect just fine to a "wireless home router".

shift_andrew said:
Is the firewall on your computer ZoneAlarm? The WiFi USB connector isn't compatible with ZoneAlarm firewalls, according to the Nintendo troubleshooting. In fact, if you have ZoneAlarm you can't just turn it off, you have to completely uninstall it. That fixed all my problems, just got a different firewall.

wait a minute OBJECTION there is a contridiction in your statement i have the usb connector and zone alarm and it dont work when i have it on but when i turn it off it works u dont need to uninstall it!!!

I've been having the same problems.. And I'm interested in what Shinji said, but I seem to be having problems with Steps 1&2. I can go to start, click Run.. though I'm not quite sure what "cmd" means. Anyways I entered /ipconfig/all ..nothing happened. Could you use a bit more detail, Shinji? Thanks so much. :]

Nevermind. I've followed the instructions all the same, tried to connect my wii and I received the same error code again: 52140 again. I just don't know what to do! I removed my firewalls, I've uninstalled and reinstalled twice correctly. The connections are working just fine here on my computer but my wii just does NOT want to connect! Can anyone help me??

xEndlessx. Seriously, don't bother with the N's USB WiFi connector. Go to any local store which carries Linksys, Dlink, Netgear or even Belkin and just buy one of their $30-50us WiFi-G routers.

Plug your cable/dsl modem into the router's WAN (as in Wide Area Network, not Wireless...) port. Next plug your PC into one of the 4 LAN (local) ports.

Unplug the power to your modem, plug the power into the router and then power into the modem.

Now your router will get the Internet IP from your provider and it will give your PC and any WiFi devices their IPs.

I do suggest you read the manual or CD docs about how to.
1. Change the router's default password.
2. Not broadcast your SSID.
3. Configure WPA encryption (or if you have a DS1 you need to use WEP :( )
4. Enable and configure MAC Filtering. This way only the devices YOU chose will be allowed to access your router for a network connection.

It sounds harder than it is, but it's the smart/safe thing to do.

If you get a Linksys router, pm me an email address and I'll send you a doc I give to clients and students on how to configure all that.

Back