Suggestions on Wii "set-up."

DRMARIO said:
Nope, its definately LCD's that die.

LCD televisions eventually die after a certain amount of hours,like i said, thats why plasma screens are reccomended.

No, their coming out with the new Plasmas that will wiststand 10000+ hours. LCD are the big thing right now (Pimp My Ride, 7 inch monitors anyone?:lol: ) Did you notice how quickly Plasmas came and went? They were around the mall and now their no where to be found, LCDs are being sold everywhere, every size.

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtv-plasmavslcd.shtml

Read this if you're not sure what to buy. It makes a lot of good points and comparisons. LCD and Plasma are pretty well even, but for me, Plasma has more benefits in this guide, as some of the features that get a thumbs up for the LCD, are things that I wont need.

Read that and make up your own mind. Make sure you go to a store and check out some display models before you jump to conclusions.

DRMARIO said:
Nope, its definately LCD's that die.

LCD televisions eventually die after a certain amount of hours,like i said, thats why plasma screens are reccomended.

Uh, actually, top of the line plasmas have been tested at a mere 30,000 hours(3 years constant, 8 at 10 hours TV viewing a day), whereas, LCD screens have a 60,000 hour minimum.

Furthermore, when LCDs die, all that is necessary is a lamp replacement($100). When plasmas die, it's time to buy a new plasma.

Do your homework before stating facts you can't back up.

Sources:

http://www.sharpusa.com/products/lcd_vs_plasma/0,2340,,00.html
http://www.lcd-vs-plasma.com

In addition, the only benefit that plasma has over any other display technology is higher contrast ratios, which is trivial when you're comparing a 10000:1 contrast ratio with 1024 x 1024 max resolution display with a 2000:1 contrast ratio with a 1920 x 1080 max resolution display.

In the end, everything pales in comparison to resolution when shopping for a large screen display.

Last edited:
Well, it's decided. If I'm gettin' a new TV, I'm gettin' an LCD. Thanks for the facts, Teqguy! Can anyone suggest a site that I could buy an LCD TV or a store that sells them for not-so-much? xP

i am having this debate in my mind, im saving 400 dollars for the wii and a game and another controller, and im also wanting to get a new tv, becaus the buttons on the front of mine no longer work haha, i was looking at walmart here in my town and was supprised that the prices were as low as they were,....... i came to the conslussion that i dont want a plasma screen 1) they are hella expensive compared to the lcd, and 2) i have no need for it to be flat really... .... anyways the lcd's here are the prices as follows
brand:ilo size:27 price:209.00 flat lcd
brand:sanyo size:30 price:478.00 flat lcd hdtv
brand:sanyo size:32 price:417.00 flat lcd sdtv

i think im getting the third one :p

hope this helps at all

Nice job, teqguy. I was hoping someone really knowledgeble about this stuff would come along.

I would say go with LCD then. It has a replaceable bulb whereas the plasma must be completly replaced, costing tons (although, by the time the LCD bulb needs replacing, it's probably time to get a new TV because prices will have gone down on newer, better, brighter, thinner displays). LCD also, as I said before, doesn't burn-in while plasma does, which is horrible if your planning on gaming on a plasma (to get rid of the burn-in, you must leave the plasma display on for an hour on "snow").

ok ignore what everybody has said about lcd's being better than plasmas and the **** about burn in.

my brother left his tv on for about 8 hours straight on a non moving screen and it didn't get burn in

plasmas have much darker black lines as well, some lcd's display blacks as gray

what is your budget, and how big is your room

i would recomend a budget 720p projector, or a 1080p dlp

for sound i would get a HTIB, that doesn't come with a builtin dvd player and use that

Kumoriken said:
Well, it's decided. If I'm gettin' a new TV, I'm gettin' an LCD. Thanks for the facts, Teqguy! Can anyone suggest a site that I could buy an LCD TV or a store that sells them for not-so-much? xP
I'd go to Newegg.com
Go here to see their TV selection.

They've got a big selection and I've used them on a couple things, they're a well known site, and they ship pretty fast. Also, go to PriceGrabber.com to compare a ton of site's prices on TVs.

When it comes to surround sound you can spend anything from £50 to thousands upon thousands. I use a small surround system that cost about £150 and it is very impressive for gaming. I also use surround sound headphones which i think are amazing. Really it depends what you are comparing to. If you are used to the sound system in a standard TV a basic surround sound system is likely to have much better quality. Your budget is the key.

DRMARIO said:
EXCUSE ME! MR 'I KNOW EVERYTHING'
Dont look down on others as if your better than they are.
I know im right, look at it this way , I KNEW that you can use a lamp replacement, But i ALSO knew that LCD'S can only withstand a certain amoutn of hours, on which i WASNT wrong,
But what i didnt know, the plasma screens had a certain amoutn of tiem to work aswell.

The only thing you stated is that LCD displays have a short lifecycle, mentioning briefly that this is why plasmas are preferred over LCDs.

However, as I just proved, it is in fact the other way around, voiding your remarks entirely.

pizzaluvr said:
i would recomend a budget 720p projector, or a 1080p dlp

Both of those suggestions are horrible.

For one, the only projectors that are capable of refresh rates necessary for gaming are either ones you build yourself from an LCD monitor or the needlessly expensive ones.

Second, not only are 1080P LCD displays new and thus expensive, but they're completely useless for the Wii's humble resolution of 480P.

Well, it's decided. If I'm gettin' a new TV, I'm gettin' an LCD. Thanks for the facts, Teqguy! Can anyone suggest a site that I could buy an LCD TV or a store that sells them for not-so-much?

If I may restate, I wasn't exactly pro-LCD in the first place, I was simply proving to DRMARIO that plasma is not only severely outdated but is surpassed by every other display technology out there, on top of a million other downfalls I could mention about it.

My original recommendation was that you might want to look into a CRT or rear projection HDTV, for fear that an LCD display with 1280x720 resolution might show its age too soon.

However, now that I think about it, if your primary use for it is going to be playing the Wii, then you won't even reach that point until you try viewing something that is 1920 x 1080 native.

Here are some recommendations when selecting an LCD TV:

Stick to one that has less than or equal to 20ms refresh rate. Any higher and you might notice some ghosting when playing games with a lot of fast paced action.

A 400 milicandescent (mc/d2) brightness competes with your average computer monitor, so anything better should not have to set you over more than $100 when coming to a decision between two displays.

A 600:1 contrast ratio is perfect for any type of viewing, but an 800:1 is recommended for gameplay. Most of the time, there's no discernable difference between a 600:1 contrast ratio and a 1000:1 contrast ratio.

It is better to go with a 1280 x 720 resolution, instead of the 1366 x 768, if you're intending to play content that is in 16:9 format, because 1280 x 720 is a native 16:9 format. With 1366 x 768, you either get banding(black bars) or slight distortion.

Ah, jesus. >_> Mmkay, one, lifespan isn't a problem. I'm moving into my new house in about a year and a half and I'm gonna have an HDTV in there.
And I don't know all of this tech ****. All it's doing is confusing me. Put it in consumers terms. Like... Type, name, or whatever. Just something simple that makes sense.

And I do have a 27" bulky Sony TV with kinda average picture, so would you reccomend just keeping it?

Edit: Meh, I've re-read it. Still doesn't make much sense, but I'll try and keep all that in mind. I'm searching right now.

And Teqguy, would this said LCD TV cost me less than $400?
And if so, even at that price, should I wait a year or two for my HDTV?

Last edited:
As far as "tech ****" is concerned, I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but "tech ****" in this day and age is simply what seperates those who buy lemons from those who don't. If you aren't at least aware of what to pay attention to and what is mere fluff, you're going to end up paying premium for something that could be had for a lot less.

At $400, you'd be looking at a 20" LCD display... so I wouldn't consider that worth it.

If you're overly confused by the different terms Kumoriken, go to Newegg.com
And no, I'm not spamming. If you go here to their TV section and then click on either Plasma TV or LCD TV. From there click in the upper left hand corner, click on "Advanced Search" and that will give you all the categories we've been talking about. If you just buy the bluelight special at K-mart, you're gonna get ripped off, seriously.

DRMARIO said:
Wait wait wait wait wait, Plasma screens ARE reccomended over LCD's, and have been for a while.
Personally, i really dont care which, But they both have their GOOD ,and their BAD points.
Oh screw you, look, im sick of arguing with you mr "teqguy"
Word of advice, dont look down on others.

The only people providing recommendations for plasma screens are either rich folks who have no technological understanding of either technology(they simply see the higher price tag of plasma and figure it must be worth it) and electronics store salesmen working on commission.

Plasma is the worst technology for displays based on the fact that it has low resolution, low refresh rates(and thus bad for gaming), high thermal output, high electromagnetic interference, high wattage, and an astronomical price tag.

The only positive for plasma is exceedingly high contrast ratios, which prove completely unnecessary for typical usage(ie watching movies and playing video games).

Furthermore, if any advice should be given, it should be to you in relation to how you conduct yourself.

If you wish to be rude, you should at least be right half the time. Since you have failed to do so, you have not earned that privilege and therefore have no reason to be insulting anyone, period.

Back