Super Monkey Ball Controls

patrickj

WiiChat Member
Sep 22, 2006
For This Game I Was Wondering If You Used the Wiimote and the nunchuk, or just the wiimote.

I advise you not too since alot of the WiiChat members have not liked the game, but whatever you want.:p

More like alot of people..and if most people dont like then usually other people dont like it..

Monley ball sucks, it was the only game left when I went to buy it and I have spent more time with sports and building my mii community. It is a lame game that comes nowhere close to SMB2 for the GC.

maybe you can enlighten us why is a "lame game". my bet is due to the "crap" mini games. most places have reviewed it as a good game including gamespot and IGN, saying the SP is excellent but the mini games arent as good. im still planning on buying the game.

95% of people have complained about the game being **** because of the mini games. if you dont care about the mini games much (like me) buy the game, the SP is meant to be amazing.

Actually the game sucks because the controls are just horrible. Some times you need the wiimote and sometimes you need the wiimote and the wiichuck. Understanding how in the world to use it in the mini games is more work than fun. The game is loaded with tons of mini games. But with the added frustration of not knowing how to really control the characters in the mini game, you will soo get pissed and put it down. I rented it from Gamefly and trust me, it is going back tomorrow. Not even worth a rental in my opinion. Also I am a big Monkey ball fan. Now if all you wanna play is the standard monkey ball mazes. Those are awsome. But you can do that on any monkey ball. I would not even give this game a 5 out of 10. :mad2:

i only want the game for the mazes, but apparantly some of the mini games are good but its hard to find which ones.

I guess I'm kinda glad I didn't open Super Monkey Ball. Instead, I returned it for Trauma Center: Second Opinion. I have a hunch that it wouldn't be that great. I'm sure it's a game I will check out, but eventually not purchase. Thanks for the input guys! :thumbsup:

I was distraught at SMB at first, but now that I've put some time into it It's really starting to click. The Main game was made for the Wii-mote, there's no question. In some cases it's more challenging than the GC SMB and SMB2 control, but after a while, it becomes second nature and you'll find yourself rocking with it (no pun intended).

The mini games on first run through seem insurmountably difficult, but it's all just a quick learning curve. It's really a kind of a an all out exhibition of what the the Wii controls are all about.

Some of the highlights...
Fish Scoop...a mini game where you hold the wii-mote like a goldfish net and have to scoop fish out of a bucket. It really makes you have to use the remote in true 3-D space to get it right.

Monkey War (I think is the name)...it's first person shooter that from a contol standpoint puts Red Steel cpntrols to shame (don't get me wrong, it's not that deep, just proof that the mote/chuck combo CAN work well with FPS).

Monkey Race...if you don't have any racing games yet, this is a nice scratching of the surface of how steering feels with the wii-mote. Very natural...controls well.

Spear Fishing...very cool application of spear fishing with the wiimote. Spear the fish and pull them back to yourself.

Hammer Throw...simple hammer throw game where you hold the wiimote up and spin it in a circular motion to build up speed for a hammer throw. Simple but fun.

The not so good...
Monkey Target...As someone else pointed out in a different thread, if your a Monkey Target fan they totally raped it. One Field, no pickups, no wind, no control of your launch (all identical from a cannon you don't control). I still spent a lont time with it, but overall they really screwed the pooch on my favorite mini from the first two installments.

Frisbee Golf...this is good and bad. Very cool from the standpoint of actually having to simulate frisbee throwing motion, very sensitive to the strength of your toss, but the obstacles are infuriating. When you get stuck between two trees it's almost impossible to discern what the hell you have to do to get out in a reasonable amount of throws.

Overall, even though spear fishing is the exception, I think the big weakness with Wiimote motion so far is moving in and out quickly to perform tasks. It gets very difficult and frustrating. I also hate that about "zoom" in Red Steel. It's one of the wii-mote motions that doesn't feel natural and keeps you from being able to "relax" and play a game.

Mini-games in general...it always ends your game and takes you back to the menu after you play once. A little criticism, but HEY, if I like the mini-game, did the Dev's ever think someone MIGHT want to play it again without exiting out to the menu? just a nit-pick I guess...

Overall, if you are going to buy or rent Monkey Ball, I urge you to work through the learning curve. It's a very different experience than the first two games on the surface, but rewarding once your comfortable with the controls. Just my 2 cents. The criticisms so far are fair, but it's a great all around showcase for the Wii-mote...and there is fun to be had with it.

Last edited:
Well I have just rented Monkey Ball, and to me, it would be a huge waste of 50 dollars. The first world of mazes was kinda fun but I got through it in 15 minuets. And they get repetitive and old very quickly. The mini games seem like they have very little time focused on them. Many are just bad tacked on uses off the wiimote. I had little to no fun with this game and was very soon back to wiisports and zelda.

Hope this helps anyone considering monkeyball...

Back