supermario 64

Kamikaze said:
That is owned by Rare and Rare is owned by Microsoft, so we won't see that on the virtual console along with Conker and Goldeneye.

EDIT [removed original message after my research answered my own question...]:
from wikipedia
Between 2000 and the final acquisition of Rare Ltd., more than 50 people left the company. After the [Microsoft] acquisition was complete, at least 30 more left. Commentators have noted that Rare's first Xbox title, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, is the company's biggest flop to date.

I don't know if this had anything to do with Microsoft or not, but I'd like to think so. Rare was such a great developer, making games that were based on depth and quality -- not trying to cater for the lowest common denominator to maximise sales, which produced some of th emost original and innovative games I've played. it would seem MS bought them for all the wrong reasons, and changed the direction of the company.

Last edited:
Kamikaze said:
Yes, and that picture should be used more often. It's been remade on the DS and now the Wii console, personally, I think this happens to be one of the most over rated games, simply because it's Mario.

Dude you have to be kidding. If anything its underrated. Its a revolutionary game. It is to 3D platforming what the orginal Super Mario Bros. was to 2D platforming. Games would not be the same at all today without Super Mario 64. Have a little respect.

Besides the fact that it revolutionized 3D platforming, its Mario!

Kamikaze said:
That is owned by Rare and Rare is owned by Microsoft, so we won't see that on the virtual console along with Conker and Goldeneye.

While that does complicate things, it doesn't rule it out completely. Reggie from Nintendo has already said that they are investigating what it would take to get Goldeneye released on the VC.

PersianCowboy said:
Dude you have to be kidding. If anything its underrated. Its a revolutionary game. It is to 3D platforming what the orginal Super Mario Bros. was to 2D platforming. Games would not be the same at all today without Super Mario 64. Have a little respect.

Besides the fact that it revolutionized 3D platforming, its Mario!

No, I'm not kidding. While Super Mario Bros. may have changed games for today, Super Mario 64 just happened to be the first platforming game for the N64 which many people believe it 'revolutionized' 3D platforming, but I just believe that it gave them a bit more of fresh ideas, but it hasn't revolutionized the video game industry as the original Mario Bros. has. You want a great Nintendo 64 game, how about Bomberman 64 or even Glover, those were great as well.

Back