The death of the English language.

chach said:
who cares honestly why should it matter? are we being graded on our posts, no. i dont even do my grammar for my papers thats what editors are for...

Wonderful. You are right. We should expect other people to do our work for us. What the heck have I been thinking all these years? I am going to go back to work and just sit at my desk. If I do nothing, someone will do it for me.

dakuda said:
Wonderful. You are right. We should expect other people to do our work for us. What the heck have I been thinking all these years? I am going to go back to work and just sit at my desk. If I do nothing, someone will do it for me.

stop taking everything to the extreme your so narrow minded... your always trying to act so high and mighty, give it up already its quite annoying...

your going to tell me authors dont use editors? as long as i have my understanding of grammar and know when to use it i really couldnt give a **** about putting periods in my posts on some stupid wii forum. no one is gonna think more of me if i do or not its ridiculous..

chach said:
stop taking everything to the extreme your so narrow minded... your always trying to act so high and mighty, give it up already its quite annoying...

your going to tell me authors dont use editors? as long as i have my understanding of grammar and know when to use it i really couldnt give a **** about putting periods in my posts on some stupid wii forum. no one is gonna think more of me if i do or not its ridiculous..

You mean like in a paper? I thought you relied on editors for that?

Excuse me for expecting people to be accountable to at least themselves.

dakuda said:
You mean like in a paper? I thought you relied on editors for that?

Excuse me for expecting people to be accountable to at least themselves.

yes i do try when i write a paper, but it still goes to my friend who is an editor. stop being such a douche, its like i have to explain every one of my words...

Actually, it takes longer to decipher if you write in text. People are talking about the death of the english language when they know quite well that they do not type properly, and example being a lot is two words and for God's sake use capital I's.

This is exactly like the grammar post.

I do typos a lot, but I know that I can spell it. I don't bother to correct myself because thye know what I mean, but doing it just on purpose is pure laziness.

You are not being graded, no, but you're leading the impression that you're an idiot on the forum.

Yeah, when people talk like that is pisses me off (sometimes, in the real world anyway) My friend and I used to tease people for talking like that, now he does it regularly. It's SO annoying!:mad5:

Napalmbrain said:
By the way, while we're on the subject of good English, it's "that's", not "thats". :p

You are correct ,i wish the odd punctuation error was the only mistake i saw regularly in the forums. ;)

Byuakuya said:
I don't think about this when I am using MSN. It just makes it much faster.

Good point ,there are times when only text typing is fast enough to keep the flow going and in messaging you expect it, a forum is definitely not the place for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
MaxPing said:
You are correct ,i wish the odd punctuation error was the only mistake i saw regularly in the forums. ;)

Errors are different then blatant disregard for grammar rules. Errors I can live with. Everyone makes them. It is the whole "I don't give a crap" attitude that frustrates me.

chach said:
why be worried about someones impression on you ?

i know who i am

Do I care what people think about me on the Internet? Obviously, I do not. However, I feel that people should always try to make a good impression. If you want to look like an idiot, feel free to post like one.

Impressions mean quite a bit in social interaction. Granted, this is semi-social (since people cannot see each other through this medium), but it is still social. The way you present yourself here has a lot to do with how people will iterpret your opinions and ideas.

If you know who you are, then BE who you are. Why 'slum' it just because you are typing? There is no reason to change who you are because you are interacting on a forum.

MaxPing said:
Good point ,there are times when only text typing is fast enough to keep the flow going and in messaging you expect it, a forum is definitely not the place for it.
I completely agree with you. :)

i cant stand when words are spelt wrong

however i sometimes use short hand since i went to school for court reporting. but its all phonetics and a stenographers keyboard is NOTHING like a computer keyboard.

either way i can see how a slow typer would type "fav" instead of "favorite"

i type at 150WPM (court reporters normally type at 200WMP short hand)

dakuda said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

chach said:
why be worried about someones impression on you ?

i know who i am

As mostly used in international forums, it is common courtesy to use correct grammar because some of the members may come from a different country and learn english as their seconds language. You seem to grasp english well and speak spanish, but some people don't. You may also have to minimise the use of your slang, I use slang all the time but I cut it down when I'm on forums so people can actually understand me.

You know who you are so why are you portraying a lie like false grammar on the internet? If you don't want other people to know who you are well then you should really open your eyes, you're on a forum, a forum for conversing with other people other than you.

Back