The next Gameboy at E3?

JT.

A glitch in life
Apr 16, 2007
We could be expecting the next handheld to be revieled this E3!
First, release years of the handhelds:

Gameboy (GB) 1989
Gameboy Pocket (GBP) 1996
Gameboy Colour (GBC) 1998
Gameboy Advance (GBA) 2001
Gameboy Advance SP (GBASP) 2003
Nintendo DS (DS) 2004
Gameboy Micro (GBM) 2005
Nintendo DS Lite (DSL) 2006

Ok, the difference between Gameboy and Gameboy Coulour is significantly large, but at the time, handheld consoles were new, and this is expected, as there were few to rival the Gameboy, there was no hurry.

Now, between GBC and GBA, there is 3 years. 3 years between GBA and DS. So the rate at which the handhelds are being releases, has been frequent. So, we should expect a new handheld by at least 2009, two years from now, and this would make the difference between DS and the next handheld 5 years, longer than with the last ones. But this can be expected, with the DS being at the top of sales charts. So, they could very well be announcing it at this E3, with only 2-3 E3's before it's released. They wouldn't of course have a prototype yet, that would come in next years E3. This would be mainly an announcment, and something like "The controls will be revolutionary even compared to the DS", or something of the sort. They would also announce the code name for the project, which could end up as the final name.

Here's how it could go:
1st E3: Code name announced, a few words to get rumours going

2nd E3: Design showed, as well as new controls, and hardware aspects (graphics and such) revealed. A video of a game being played on it.

3rd E3: Final design, with playable ones for audience to try. Games for it announced, as well as other software, and any final aspects of it. Everything not yet shown.

We can be sure that there wont be yet another improved DS, but an actual new handheld, which will most likely have better graphics (PSP graphics at least, hopefully). Who knows, they may go as far as GameCube game compatibility (doubt it, even if the discs are small, they aern't small enough, and Nintendo want's to keep it cheap).

i could be very wrong. Nintendo might not announce anything, worried they will cause DS Lite sales to drop, as people would be ready to wait (I'm waiting. Still playing on an old DS...). But there is always a possibility.

It's a possibility, and a hope. They'll be the stars of the show if they do.

Geez. Consoles keep getting more and more expensive. Companies just wanna make us poor. I bet this new console is going to be like $200 at least

Think about how much an NES first cost. They have actually gotten cheaper. Consoles now-a-days would have cost a couple thousand back then.

I dont think they need to make a new hand held for a while.

DSPrintsMoney.jpg

i dont think so, the DS is 3 years old but its doing too well for them to change it,idk i just dont think they would , to me the DS doesnt feel that old and i dont think they are really pushing to make a new system, idk imo i dont think we will see one for a while.
i guess i keep forgetting the DS is 3 it just doesnt seem like it

first what does imo stand for?

And i'm praying that they'll make a ds 2, and a wii 2...

omg if they go back to a normal controller after the wii i'll be furious.

I think it's a bit too early to be revealing the next game boy. Maybe next year they will reveal some details about the next generation, but not this year.

They will most likely show the new ds, Its rumoured to have larger screen and possibly a built in mp3 player.

I personally don't think it'll be a new DS, but a fully new handheld. They will barely release a detail on it this year though, as I stated earlier, just that they're producing one. The might may it widescreen fully touchable. Maybe. And it'd be nearly twice as wide as a DS screen, less because the pixels will be smaller, and it will allow DS game compatability as the screen could be divided into two. Just a thought, although it won't happen.

Back