The wii's Memory and memory cards.

mrsthom123

WiiChat Member
Jan 12, 2008
Ok, hope this doesn't seem silly but it's new at our house. This question regards the memory on the gaming system.

We had a gamecube for years and my son always had memory cards for each game. After a few days I realized he was playing away on 3 new games and making progress and I had not bought any memory cards. Will it hold the memory of these games as he progresses or will he need additional memory. He has new Spyro, Sonic and the rings, Crash of the titans and Wii sports. I would hate for him to get to a certain level and then it not save the game.

The Wii has no hard drive, but it still has some internal storage. If the Wii fills up then get an SD card.
So basically yes it'll save.

If you do buy a SD card, make sure it's not an micro SD.
ANY brand will work, not just Nintendo's brand.
Nintendo documented a 2GB limitation on the card, but I heard of people using 4GB just fine.

mrsthom123 said:
Ok, hope this doesn't seem silly but it's new at our house. This question regards the memory on the gaming system.

We had a gamecube for years and my son always had memory cards for each game. After a few days I realized he was playing away on 3 new games and making progress and I had not bought any memory cards. Will it hold the memory of these games as he progresses or will he need additional memory. He has new Spyro, Sonic and the rings, Crash of the titans and Wii sports. I would hate for him to get to a certain level and then it not save the game.
OK, Lets touch back to your gamecube comment. You said that you purchased a memory card for each of your childs gamecube games, depending on the size of the memory card (8Mb, 16Mb) these cards are designed to hold multiple game save files for many different games. So it is unnessary to purchase a memory card for a single game.

Now lets talk about your wii issue, the wii has built in internal memory and should be sufficient for your childs wii game save files (I have over 15 different game save files stored on my wii console an still have a lot of memory left.) The wii will inform you on how much memory is available if you choose to view it, if you choose to expand the memory, you have the option to purchase an SD card (1gig, 2gig) and transfer to store (save) your wii game files to those.

Gamecube files will not be stored on the wii internal memory but rather on your old gamecube memory cards which can be entered into your wii consoles gamecube memory slots located on the top rear area of your wii console.

Hope this info helped

Last edited:
Brawny said:
That was a great answer, but one thing to pick at.

You cannot save directly to the SD card.
Thanks, your right. I didnt mean to imply that. I meant transfer and store (save).

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all the help.

LOL I originally bought a memory card for each gamecube game because he was too young and it was easier for him to have a different card for each game than to be accidently overwriting another game. I usually bought an off brand that wasn't very expensive.

idjut said:
If you do buy a SD card, make sure it's not an micro SD.
ANY brand will work, not just Nintendo's brand.
Nintendo documented a 2GB limitation on the card, but I heard of people using 4GB just fine.
Why not a Micro? Anything works; Micro, Mini, etc. as long as it has a SD adapter to plug into.

261311 said:
Why not a Micro? Anything works; Micro, Mini, etc. as long as it has a SD adapter to plug into.

Not all sd cards work with the Wii. I have a veho 2gb that does not work and also a mini sd card 2 gb that also does not work. I eventually bought a sandisk Wii gaming card which work perfectly. So beware not all SD cards work. :wink:

Back