The World Asunder

Introductions are in order...

Off the coast of avalon, lies Quixill, a dark and shadowy wasteland of an island. Very few inhabit the inhospitable area. However, if one ventures far enough, they might come upon a wrought iron fence, surrounding a large dilapidated manor. An unusually tall figure stepped out onto the balcony. He was completely bald with bone white skin, and slender facial features. This was Vanquo.

A message beeped on Vanquo's wrist transceiver. He looked down at his wrist and was greeted with the image of a small and frail dwelf man with silver hair.
"Ahhh Pumice! Let's see what job the little fellow has this time."

Sup. I gotta talk to you about a little favor I need done in Miriel, so respond ASAP, will ya?

Vanquo was perplexed.

Sup? What does supper have to do with the job? Perhaps it's one of Pumice's strange slang informalities. No matter. I will have to contact the other two Grey Reapers immediately.

The three Grey Reapers were Aeolus's most trusted henchman, named for their grey trenchcoats. Aeolus had recently instructed them to follow the orders of Pumice, something with which Vanquo was none too happy with. Still, he knew that he would have to follow Aeolus's orders, they had made a deal... He sent out a message to the other two:

MEET UP AT THE USUAL SPOT

As Lambert stepped off the plane, he spoke his worries to his temporary companion "Gale. About what you heard on that bordcast. Rebellion. I couldn't really ask the travelers them, but you live her we the same as I. What do you think? Is this really the right way to go?"

He closed his eyes for a moment as he lost himself in thought, "I've live here my whole life and I'm not sure if I'm willing to put the faith of my home in the hands of a foreigner. I don't like this *system but you could say that i still have a foolish amount of nationalistic pride in me"

He turned to Gale and stared straight to get eyes, "This guy is apparently a coward. I'm not going to have him run Avalon to the ground. I'm hoping you feel the same"

He allowed his shoulders to slack and his blood that he haven't even realize was boiling to cool down."Excuse me. I forgot to ask. You the captain of the APF, right? But i was never one to follow the news. Why did you start it? Don't suppose that it was just out of kindness. You didn't always leave here, right?"

He tilted his head and eyed the familiars she carried "Also, you have those strange familiars. How did you exactly stop that gate?"

“So this can enhance any familiar?”

“Well, not any. Some of them it doesn’t work on and a lot it just makes them go kind of weird.”

“You sure you don’t mind selling me this?”

“Hey, it’s a fair price.”

“Great, thanks.”

Kai handed the dwarf a string of small hexagonal silver coins and pocketed a blue-green crystal.

“Good show up there, by the way," added the dwarf.

“Oh, thanks. Yeah, we’ll see how it pans out, eh?”

“Just know we’re behind you.”

“Thanks, thanks muchly.”

Kai walked back toward the statue of Sargon and glanced around Haven Park. The atmosphere had changed markedly since they’d seized the park a few hours ago. People no longer looked afraid or angry, nor even somber, rather they looked ready to celebrate. With the splinter threat having calmed down, those who were wounded or missing family had left, and people who were eager to come fight alongside the rebels they’d heard about by word of mouth or over the radio had arrived instead. The crowd was generally younger, and much more energetic. Guards were posted at the causeway and on the walls, and the park was secure enough for them to make themselves comfortable.

Two young dwarves had even rolled in and tapped a barrel of beer, and several small bonfires had been ignited around the park.

Kai jumped back up onto the statue’s base and called out for the attention of the crowd.

“Hello everybody! For those of you who weren’t here before, welcome! Now as you know, we went to a bit of trouble to take this park and I for one ain’t eager to lose it. So we’re gonna draw lots to pick enough of us for guard duty tonight.”

Kai had returned to his plane to pick up a few things, including his fiddle, which had removed from its case, filling the case with scraps of paper.

“So, uh, everybody go ahead and draw one, if you get the red mark report to my friend Harkaras over here. And I am…”

Kai closed his eyes and stuck his hand in, plucking out a blank scrap.

“...not on duty! Somebody hand me a drink!”

Kai leapt down from the statue, and someone gave him a beer. He took a long swig then picked up his fiddle, pointing the bow up at King Sargon.

“This one’s for you, m’lord!”

Kai plucked out the beginning of a melody, then sang.

“Was a stormy day and a windy day when good King Sargon died. A wind swept up as he walked the docks and slipped him o’er the side!”

Kai put bow to string and began fiddling along.

“He called to his gods ‘help if you will, my last and bravest hope! And if the gods have mercy still they might lend me a rope!'”

The crowd began singing along to the song’s familiar chorus, and Kai broke headlong into a wild fiddling dance.

Last edited:
Ansa nodded.
"Yes, I am the captain. But it wasn't I who started it. A man by the name of Vander Ross, a native of Avalon, did. He was a former Kingdom Guard, but grew sick of the corruption he perceived in their system and sought to protect the people more directly. I became a good friend of his after I joined the APF. He died a few months ago, during the incursion at Abermill. That's when I was promoted to captain. It's been... difficult for all of us. He was a very good man. As for that rune, or whatever it was, I used these."
Ansa half-unsheathed Zeal and Apathy. They seemed duller in color now that they were empty of seithr.
"These blades, Zeal and Apathy, are one of the Legendary Familiars. They were given to me by my father, Brogar. They were designed to absorb seithr, and the rune was made of seithr, so they absorbed the energy powering the damn thing."

"Brogar?" For a moment he frowned, but an instant later it was gone. He scratched his chin and looked up to the sky, "That sounds nice." He picked at his mask, "Sure wished that this old thing could absorb seithr. Would make it easier on me."He stared at nothing as he started to stride to Haven, wanting to meet up with Fishwash. He didn't speak much that, only in one word sentences and grunts. When he heard the violin music, he had a feeling that the rebel leader was close.

As Ansa and Lambert approached the park, they noticed a throng of Kingdom Guard surrounding the main entrance. Police barricades had been set up. A short and stocky officer jumped into their path and threw his hands up.
"No one's allowed into or out of Haven Park until this whole rebellion business is ended. Move along."
Ansa began to speak.
"I'm the head of the APF, and--"
The officer sneered.
"APF? Like that means anything."
As he looked up at the towering Masked Knight, he stumbled over his words a bit and his sneer twitched, clearly intimidated at the mountain of a man.
"N-now, get going or I'll be forced to charge you with obstruction of an ongoing Kingdom Guard investigation."
As the officer hurried off, Ansa turned to Lambert.
"No use for a frontal entry. But I've got a better idea. Follow me."
She gestured that they move along the rim of the park.

Last edited:
Pumice waited for Vanquo to get back to him. He, glancing at his monitors, noticed the man and woman who had screwed him over in the Soot District. They were walking towards Haven Park. In all honesty, they probably would have escaped Pumice's notice if the man wasn't so goddamn tall. What did Aeolus say his name was? The Masked Knight? He was obviously tough, going by his physique and Aeolus' prior reaction to him. Aeolus had also mentioned the Fae woman potentially being the daughter of some person named "Tamseril", whoever that was.

A Kingdom Guard officer intercepted them. Moments later the Masked Knight and the fae woman left, and started walking along the rim of the park. They were undoubtedly determined to talk to Kai, as that was obviously why they were at Haven Park in the first place. They were most likely looking for another way in.

Pumice called up the Kingdom Guard officer using one of the terminals in AM11.

"Who were those two?" said Pumice, disguising his voice to sound older and more masculine. He was actually quite good at that.

"The woman claimed to be the head of the APF. Her face looked somewhat familiar, but I'm not sure. No idea who the guy was." said the officer

Pumice smirked. "Thank you very much, Officer Tubs..." he whispered

"Excuse me, what was that?" asked the officer

"Nothing. Please return to duty." said Pumice

"Who the crap is this, anyway?" asked the officer, who Pumice suspected might have heard his whispering. As he had hoped, honestly.

"This is AM02 calling. You'd better not use that tone with me, or I'll report you to the higher ups. I don't believe either of us want that, do we?" said Pumice. He couldn't help but grin widely.

"R-right..." said the somewhat nervous officer. "I'll get back to my shift..." He hung up.

Pumice's grin grew even wider, and he laughed to himself. There was no way to really tell which Avalon Moniter room you were receiving a call from, the label for all of them was simply "AM00". This was an incredibly stupid flaw that Pumice found absolutely hilarious. His lie about being from AM02 was rather smart, as that particular AM room was host to about 30 Kingdom Guard members at all times. It was doubtful that anybody would ever figure out that the call didn't come from there.

So the Fae girl was the head of the Avalon Protection Force? How neat. He was aware of the APF and its goal to protect the people of Lower Avalon. Come to think of it, Pumice had heard mentions of the Masked Knight before too, on various websites. The websites had mentioned the Masked Knight being something of a hero in Lower Avalon. He was nothing more than a legend, as far as Pumice knew...until now, of course.

Pumice grinned. He had an idea.

----------------

Citri sprinted up to Haven Park. Not looking where she was going, she collided with an onlooking citizen, resulting in them both falling.

"H-hey, lady!" said the man she had ran into, who was getting up. "How 'bout watchin' we're you're goin', huh?"

Citri got up too. "I'm so sorry! I'm just looking for Sarah! Have you seen her?" she asked frantically

The man scratched his head. "...who are you talking a--"

"Oh! Yeah! Sarah Wiltstem, so sorry!" interrupted Citri, realizing her immense lack of specification

"That doesn't help..." said the man, who had mostly calmed down from before. "But I can tell you that nobody's been in or out of that park in a while. After people started gathering the Kingdom Guard showed up and barricaded up the area."

"Ooooh, the Kingdom Guard? They'll let me in." Citri winked at the man and stuck her tongue out. "I'm super special, you see."

"I can certainly see that..." mumbled the man

Last edited:
"This sandwich sucks" Gale muttered to Weidr.

"Well, mid-island stations aren't know for their fine-dining. You should've packed something for the journey. I usually do.

"If you recall, we're in a bit of a hurry."

"So stop whining and eat your sandwich. The plane will be done refueling soon"

Gale took another bite of defeat.

At the Manor...

Vanquo realize he had forgotten to respond to Pumice. He quickly typed a response into his transceiver.

MEET US AT THE VIOLET HAND INN. WE WILL TALK THERE.

Elsewhere...

A balding, middle-aged elf ran through the town square, shoving passerbys along the way. He clutched a brown parcel to his chest.

Heh-heh. I think I've lost her.

He turned left, out of the bustling trade district into a dingy alley-way, and stopped to catch his breath. Suddenly, a shadowy figure descended from the rafters. Before the man could react, the figure whipped around, and threw two thick shards of seithr-infused glass into the man's palms, pinning him to the wall.

The man grimaced. "I know who you are... Asha... the Lady of Glass"

"Then I suppose you know you won't be leaving here alive." Asha flicked another shard of glass, this one much thinner, directly into the man's throat. She grabbed the parcel and prepared to unwrap it, when she was interrupted by a beeping noise from her transceiver.

MEET UP AT THE USUAL SPOT

Asha smirked. Time for another job. She generally didn't conspire with other people, she preferred to work alone. However, she knew she'd have to work with the other two reapers, as Aeolus wished, they had made a deal...

"MEET US AT THE VIOLET HAND INN. WE WILL TALK THERE."

Pumice sighed. He didn't feel like being assed to leave AM11. Alas, he didn't really have a choice. The Grey Reapers may have been working under him, but he was still careful not to piss them off. A few shots of adrenaline can turn even your best friend against you with just a little bad luck. The Grey Reapers were the sort of people you really don't want on your bad side, if you could help it.

"Meh, fine. Head out when ya' can, I'll know when you arrive." Pumice messaged them in response, looking at the camera monitors. He opened a can of soda he had gotten from the AM11 fridge, and took a sip from it.

"How are we doing this?" Lambert walked along Ansa as the two of them circled the park. He could still hear the violin music, faint but there.

"When is the kingdom doing?" He rubbed his chin, "They know where the rebellion is, you think they would stop it while it's small?"

Sure as it was, besides for the gate there was a minimum amount of guards around the area. "Do you think that it's because of that broadcast? That might of put them in a rough spot. On one hand if they brought their whole force down, they might be vilified and the people will gain sympathy from foreign powers. On the other hand, if they try to appease, they might look weak and others might take advantage of that. Dealing with such things as this are troubling"

"Likely the Kingdom Guard High Officers are discussing the matter right now. The longer they wait for an actual action or decision, though, the stronger the rebellion will grow and the harder it will be for this to have a peaceful resolution."
Ansa stopped and looked around. She saw one rather lanky, young Kingdom Guard recruit, but he wasn't looking their way, and other than that they were alone. This would be a good place as any.
"Hold up."
She gestured to the park's large wall.
"Think you can jump this?"

He released a huge toothy grin, before burying it underneath an expression of mock insult, "You think I can't?"

He grabbed the young fae, "Just hang on tight, don't want to drop you on the way up"

He looked around him, spying for any guards willing to take him in. Taking a second to breath, before shooting off like a rocket. A wind assaulted the hair of on the pair's head as they gained height until they reach the peak of their ascension. Lambert somersaulted over the concrete barrier, his back a mare inch above it. Both feet together dug into the ground below, kicking up a cloud of dirt that surrounded the two.

Though that might have not been the best of things as when the dust cleared, there was an small army surrounding them. Lambert nearly readied himself for a battle before reminding himself that this must be the rebels that they were looking for.

One rebel, too poor to have a proper weapon, yet alone a familiar, held a spade trying to look as threatening as possible.

Lambert raised his hands, "I am the Masked Knight. Sir, I believe that Kai Fishwash extended an invitation my way."

The rebel turned to the man closest to him, who shrugged. He glanced at the opposite direction to another who nodded. The crowd relaxed their arms. The man with the spade tilted his head, directing them to forward him as the crowd dispersed.

The song had reached the duet portion, through which the two singers traditionally sped as fast as possible without stumbling over their words or their feet. Kai danced around in a tight circle with a young blonde woman from Lower Avalon, the two singing in alternate.

"Laugh not--"

“--said the angel, angel fair, to the devil she said said she,”

"all devils must take the long long fall, no diff'rent in death than he!"

The song was of course not of Mirieli origin, but it reminded Kai of the Fire Festivals he and his sister had attended back at home. There he had learned the devil’s part so well that most of his dancing partners couldn’t keep up with him, but it had been a long time since, and he was rusty.

As he sang his part, faster than before now, Kai wondered whether he’d ever get to go to the Fire Festival again. He’d loved it as a boy, though Samna for reasons he never understood had prefered its counterpart, the Moon Festival. He was fairly certain he’d be safe from the King of Avalon if he ever returned to Miriel, but in retrospect he probably should have double-checked with Samna on that. He made a mental note to wire her about it. The girl, whose name Kai was fairly sure he remembered, continued.

“If a devil is a devil and a devil is he, he'll end him on the ground. If the devil wear rags or silk or steel or if he wear a crown!"

"Who's wiser then--"

“--said the devil said he--"

"--the hangman or the king? For the king has a sword and the king has a crown but the other has a rope to bring!”

It struck him suddenly how odd it was for him to be thinking of Miriel now, when before he could have freely gone home whenever he liked. When was the next Fire Festival? The days were still getting shorter, weren’t they? Maybe not. Had he missed it?

A squat, grey-bearded man picked up as Sargon, singing from the base of the statue.

“But lo! cried Sargon falling still I'd have a rope for me! And if it be a hangman's noose 'tis but the mortal fee! For any price I'd pay to 'scape this fate incurred of sin. If I cannot have a noose in hand I'll take in 'neath the--"

The sound of a gunshot cut the man off, and Kai almost dropped the girl mid-dance as he swung her out by the hand.

He recovered to two feet and turned to see what the growing commotion was over. Two dozen guns and half as many familiars were aimed at a point near the east wall. Whoever had fired had missed, it seemed.

Kai gave an exaggerated bow to the girl before excusing himself.

“Dozens apologies, Desdamine, dozens excuses.”

Kai strode over to the mass encircling the wall.

“What’s all this then?”

“It’s the Masked Knight!” yelled one woman, lowering her gun.

“He’s come to join us!” someone else shouted.

“Right! Good news that! That was, uh, that was quick! And I suppose that leap is enough to prove you’re who you say you are, huh? He did jump, didn't he?"

"Yeah," said a Kapshen pointing a long knife at the man, "he's lucky we ain't hit him as he came over he is."

"Oh well good, good. Good we didn't."

Kai cleared his throat, then made a face as though he were about to sneeze, but in the end didn’t.

“Hello! I’m Kai Fishwash, and it’s damn fine to make your friendship!”

The circle parted to make way for Kai, who approached the Masked Knight and extended a hand.

“Oh! And you too of course, Miss.”

Pumice went through the refrigerator looking for snacks. He grabbed a bottle of lemonade along with some white-chocolate chip cookies, and rolled back to one of the computer terminals in a swivel chair. He had barely started the first cookie when he noticed the Masked Knight jumping the park wall, holding the Fae woman.

"Shiiiiit, I gotta hurry!" muttered Pumice, to himself. He rolled over to another terminal and started typing things in on the keyboard. He was trying to hack into Avalon's Direct Emergency Broadcast System, or DEBS. This was a system used to broadcast vocally to all of Avalon using various speakers located throughout the city. The broadcast could be heard pretty much anywhere, but it was obviously much louder if you were near one of the speakers. The system was intended to be used for any emergency which could threaten the public, but in reality it was not used for the majority of splinter outbreaks in Lower Avalon. Once in a blue moon it would be used for various important announcements, but only the most important and/or urgent ones, everything else was limited to radio and similar communication. He had had shut it down earlier during the Splinter invasion, but trying to hijack it altogether was a bit different.

He quickly looked around AM11 for a microphone of sorts. Not able to find one, he settled for a walkie talkie from one of the cabinets. He quickly rolled back to the camera monitor and looked at the Violet Hand Inn camera. Sure enough, the Grey Reapers had not yet arrived, as he expected. Good, he needed a bit more time before this project was complete. It should only be a few more minutes, he thought...

Last edited:
Back