thread wars

dodabird

dodabird
Sep 14, 2006
Guam
question: why do people get so mad at others on threads? it seems to me that if one person disagrees with a particular subject, opposers to the disagreement jump, rather quickly, on the user, thus creating a war of words. further, a lot of arguments seem to revert to correct spelling issues which, in my opinion, is hilarious because arguments that have been constructed entirely on incorrect spelling have, themselves, included massive spelling massacres (i'm sure you all know what i mean). is anyone else flabbergasted by this? is it just the english major in me? what are your thoughts, and this time, let's see if we can keep it civil.

oh i thought you were gonna suggest some kind of death-match melee on the forums.......

Nice thread mate, I usually get into arguments etc but most of the time i'm hyper like now lol.

Yeah you're right. Most arguments are expressed from people disagreeing with others opinions, when really everyone needs to understand that everyone has their own right to say what they think (within reason). :]

I agree that most of us don't need to get into huge flame wars but the look at the Tiger situation a few days ago flaming was needed as that guy totally sucked

i don't think so. i mean, how effective is "flaming" someone online? conflicts are hardly resolved by "yelling" at people--what more online bashing? i think we'd all be better off if people allowed others to state their opinions without any repercussions. if a user wanted to counter a statement, however, so long as it's done in a mature and reasonable fashion, i see nothing wrong with it. it's when users start to hate on one another, criticizing each other for irrelevant issues (user names, misspellings, etc.), that i get a little irritated. lastly, i think it's extremely hypocritical, detrimental to an argument, and humiliating for a user to cite incorrect spelling as a feature for their argument but, in their very reply, misspell words themselves. (sigh)

maybe i'm just too analytical. maybe.

Wii_BrEnDo2007 said:
oh i thought you were gonna suggest some kind of death-match melee on the forums.......

Im up for that
Attacks with a chicken

dr00 said:
think about this.

you're asking a serious question about irrational actions.
i'm not alone. philosophers question the purpose of war, its inevitable outcome, societal effects, etc. serious questions, irrational act.

Personally I LOVE Arguing on a forum. A forum needs tension. Everything does otherwise it makes it poop!

dodabird said:
question: why do people get so mad at others on threads? it seems to me that if one person disagrees with a particular subject, opposers to the disagreement jump, rather quickly, on the user, thus creating a war of words. further, a lot of arguments seem to revert to correct spelling issues which, in my opinion, is hilarious because arguments that have been constructed entirely on incorrect spelling have, themselves, included massive spelling massacres (i'm sure you all know what i mean). is anyone else flabbergasted by this? is it just the english major in me? what are your thoughts, and this time, let's see if we can keep it civil.

IMO(and only IMO) it is because many of us are so entrenched in our opinions that we see disagreement as an attack or disrespect and so instantly go on the defensive.

A war of words is far preferable to a) a real war, and b) a forum where everyone is afraid to disagree for fear of upsetting other members.. .. ..

As for the spelling issue, I have a suggestion.. .. .. .. Feel free to say no

spelingbb9.png

Go on, you know it makes sense!!!

I try and avoid such wars as much as I possibly can. I do agree that there is no need to flame someone because of thier spelling or just for the fact that they voiced thier opinion, but it does happen everyday around us, so it cannot be avoided. I have learned to just cope with it to be honest.

I think it is overused and overexagerated it's not the entire thing that's a problem

Back