To anyone who has ever taken apart Wii to put a new case on, mod etc: Plug trouble

deathkitty

WiiChat Member
Mar 16, 2008
Hi I am taking apart my wii as per the instructions for my new case but I am having real trouble putting the DVD cable (not the ribbon cable) plug from the motherboard onto the plug on the DVD drive (as shown here: http://www.talismoon.com/multipage/products/RKS00063/downloads/page-4.jpg ) - It just doesnt seem to go in at all, it goes in a tiny bit with the brass bits still showing but pops out as soon as I let go, it wont go all the way in

I've tried pushing it really hard, even using a screwdriver to push the little white plug very hard, but still nothing, I am worried I will break it if I try to force it too much too

Any suggestions please please, this is really annoying me it's pretty much the last problem before I can put the final top of the case on and play on my new wii (i bought the case and wii together but it came with default white one)

thanks for any help :S

It's the same bit as shown here, the second red-circled one on the right
12_remove_drive.jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE:

I have now found through looking REALLY REALLY REALLY close on the socket attached to the drive itself (not the plug, the plug seems to be fine) (i literally held it up to my nose and eyes trying to see inside the damn tiny socket, it probly looked hilarious it was on top of my nose... its really that tiny) that it is a case of bent pins, there seem to be some on the right hand side that are slightly bent towards the left, and there is also a black thing near the top

2ecmb1i.gif

I found a better picture of the socket too, you can see clearly it's the cream/orange coloured bit on the right with the white plug in it:
wiifig09.jpg

how can I straighten these out safely without messing up anything else? even the smallest screwdriver I could find will NOT FIT IN IT to be able to push the pins back to the right :(

Firstly, don't panic. The more you force it out of desperation the more damage you may cause.

Try putting the cable in both ways, sometimes it is hard to see if it is the right way up or not.

Try using a pin to bend the contacts back into place.

deathkitty said:
how can I straighten these out safely without messing up anything else? even the smallest screwdriver I could find will NOT FIT IN IT to be able to push the pins back to the right :(
If you have to ask this question, you shouldn't be taking apart your Wii.

Nintendo gave them special security screws for a reason. They're not made to be tinkered with by the consumer. They're put together by robots and meant to be serviced by people using specialized equipment that costs more than you and I make put together. Now you're in over your head and you've voided your warranty. That's the risk you accepted by deciding to open it up and mess around. Not all damage is fixable/reversible. It's quite possible you've caused irreparable, permanent damage.

Be prepared to buy a new Wii.

sremick said:
If you have to ask this question, you shouldn't be taking apart your Wii.

Nintendo gave them special security screws for a reason. They're not made to be tinkered with by the consumer. They're put together by robots and meant to be serviced by people using specialized equipment that costs more than you and I make put together. Now you're in over your head and you've voided your warranty. That's the risk you accepted by deciding to open it up and mess around. Not all damage is fixable/reversible. It's quite possible you've caused irreparable, permanent damage.

Be prepared to buy a new Wii.
I know what you mean, but he came here asking for help. The least you could do is try to help him before telling him to give up.

And besides, if his Wii is irreparably broken, what has he got to lose by trying?

Because I see people break their electronics by opening them up all the time. Not just Wiis. Everyone seems to think that you can undo any damage if they just find the magical secret.

You can't.

Therefore, my theory is: they shouldn't be doing it to begin with.

Even with my bag of special-order tools there'd be a limited amount I could to. Every time you flex those pins, they weaken. If you can't bend them back perfectly on the first try, you're likely to break them clean off.

sremick, your a bit too critical on a lot of posts and stand-fast in your ways. :yesnod:

open up your mind a little... when people ask for help, they may already be sorry for an action even though they don't say it. think of the times when you post something and another member disagrees too quickly (in your opinion)... this spreads cold pricklies.

i am sure that you don't intend to do this, i'm just stating an observation :)

Frummage: :)
FRuMMaGe (Yes FRuMMaGe) said:
sremick, I know exactly how he feels because the same type of thing happened to me. The first time I modded my Wii, I put it back together and to my dismay the LED's didn't work and neither did the fan.

I felt so depressed that the Wii I have had since launch may be broken due to an impulse buy of a super sexy casemod. However, when I opened it again (damn hard to do, because the screws SUCK) I unplugged all the power cables and it turned out that 1 pin had been bent. This was easily rectified with a safety pin, and now everything is great.

Back