To Mod or Not to Mod

neowiineo

WiiChat Member
Mar 24, 2007
Hi

I havent had a Wii long and with all my previous consoles I eventually Modded so i could play backups of my games (ahem)!

With my Xbox i didnt mod for a long long long time prefering to just buy the best games and I carried on like that.

Are there any real arguments against modding apart from the risk to the actual console etc

Ill give you some advice from a WiiKey user.
Don't buy a Cyclowiz, theres lots of problems with them including only been compatible with some Wiis
My WiiKey works great, my friends Wiifree also works great.
If you are good at soldering surface mount components, you can do it yourself but I recommend getting someone who does it regularly.
The quick solder joints don't line up (its weird) so wires must be used on all joints.
At this point you can only backup games with a specific DVD ROM (LG). Its only about $20. You can always download backups through torrent sites but they are big files 4GB. Hope that helps you make a decision

Wii smurf Id say that your the noob. Should I scratch my originals instead of play my game backups? And who cares if it's illegal ,your thinking that suddenly the big N will go to your home and arrest you?
My advise is get Wiikey you could play other region games with it. Like buy a game from JAP and play it on a NTSC Wii .

I have modded a PS2, it was definately cool to be able to "Backup" my games and without limit play whatever I wanted. On the other hand after awhile of having it I would burn things just to have them. I hardly finished any of the games (112 at last count) and I don't think I enjoyed them nearly as much as the games I bought before the mod. So essentially its a really really personal thing. I would say no, because of the warrenty, and no because I want to enjoy the games I play. Yes if you have a burning desire to be able to play burned "backups".

lasher702 said:
I have modded a PS2, it was definately cool to be able to "Backup" my games and without limit play whatever I wanted. On the other hand after awhile of having it I would burn things just to have them. I hardly finished any of the games (112 at last count) and I don't think I enjoyed them nearly as much as the games I bought before the mod. So essentially its a really really personal thing. I would say no, because of the warrenty, and no because I want to enjoy the games I play. Yes if you have a burning desire to be able to play burned "backups".
Sony and Nintendo are two very different companies :D

I agree with lasher. I feel like if I were to mod my wii and start downloading backups the appeal of them would be lost. You don't pay anything for what you get and so you don't value it as much. I definately see the positives in modding though. You save a pile of cash simply put. Get to try alot of games. Personally I'm not comfortable voiding my warranty, but that's me.

If your using mods to get games for free then you do not support nintendo or any other company that you are modding PERIOD If you are using it for diffrent reasons then thats better but I woudn't reccomend it anyway.

StevenNevets said:
2 idiots!
Im an idiot for giving my opinion! :incazzato: I dont have a problem with people that MOD or whatever and well done to those who have and are enjoying it. I just think that the console is produced in a certain way (funtions etc etc) and it should just stay like the way it should be thats all.

Lii said:
Im an idiot for giving my opinion! :incazzato: I dont have a problem with people that MOD or whatever and well done to those who have and are enjoying it. I just think that the console is produced in a certain way (funtions etc etc) and it should just stay like the way it should be thats all.
Your and idiot for agreeing with the other idiot who says that people who chip their consoles are noobs. You call a noob who just saves a loads of cash?
Think what your saying.

Back