to Wii or not to Wii

dantept

WiiChat Member
Jan 29, 2007
Hi

I'm 29 and bought 3 days ago my first "first hand" console... a Wii

what made me buy such a console was without any doubt the innovative controllers.

I'm do not play much (I used to do it on the pc up to a few hears ago and kind of games where Between GTA, Age of Empires and Half Life)

I bought the Wii and Zelda, and my opinion up to now is:

Wii Sports IS FANTASTIC and I love playing the game.. at least until i get bored ;-) since the game is kind of limited.

Zelda is (for me, sorry) very boring... I've played 4 hours up to now trying to see if the game improves... but the game control is not very realistic (specially on the sword thing)

I believe it will have better games in the future (but by then probably the console will be cheaper)

on the other hand the 250 € can be used in a lot of other interesting things! :)

having said that, I'm having second thoughts about the Wii (I have 15 Days to return it to Store).

anyone on my age "range" to give their opinion?

many thanks

I somewhat agree

I am 31 years old and have had almost every console made. I even own a few arcade machines, so I am "into" video games. Wii is very cool at first, but agree that I might take it back. I do enjoy Legend of Zelda, because I have played every Zelda game since the beginning. However, once I finish, I don't know what I am going to do with the Wii. Wii Sports is fun when you have friends and family over. But what about the rest of the time. $250 isn't that much money to spend, but when I only buy one console every few years, I want it to be worth something. I do have a good job, house, wife, and daughter, so it's not like my mommy buys my video games. But as a family man with bills, I need to choose the right system. I can't buy all three (XBOX360, PS3, Wii) at once. So in this case, I may have gotten suckered into the Wii hype. Now I think I'll take mine back and give the 360 a try.

Keep it. As time goes on there will be more neat feautures. Its fun once u build up your address book and send messages/miis. Onlines coming soon and new software. And briliant games. Keep it!! Its great for partys and familys too!

you too are crazy in my opinion lol. zelda is great, and for a game that comes WITH the console...wii sports is 10/10.

maybe you should rent some more games before you give up. redsteel...wario...call of duty...mayb splinter cell? dont forget about sadness, super smash bros and mortal kombat armageddon...theyre coming soon. hang in there!

The Wii at the moment is far from an essential purchase, and if you want something with a biiger catelogue your best bet at the moment is the 360. The things that drew us all to the Wii has not changed though. The only problem with the Wii is a lack of software, this will take time to remedy, so perhaps getting the machine at launch was not the best idea. The 360 has had over a year to build up it's back catelogue, but in my opinion there really aren't that many 'must have' games for it considering. I am not about to make predictions on the Wii, the facts are the hardware is far more interesting than the competition and they have sold over 4 million units in 2 months. Would you ignore that if you were a 3rd party developer?

Maybe take it back get yourself a 360 and come back and see what is happening in a year, maybe it is your console maybe it isn't, there will always be a drought of games at launch.

the ONLY reason 360 has more is because its 1+ years more old then wii. give wii a year and itll be FAR better then 360 was after 1 year.

Wii is great, and has lots of cool games coming out for all ages/genres. Most publisher/developers are leaning toward the wii rather then ps3/360 this gen, so i wouldnt sell too soon. Give the wii a year and you'll see what the 'hype' is.

Last edited:
I found this thread really interesting because I finally realized there's a difference between hardcore gamers and the less vocal casual gamers.

Hardcore gamers: ZELDA TWILIGHT PRINCESS OMF(REAKING)G(OODNESS) *melt into puddle of love*
Casual gamers: Eh, it's okay, but WII SPORTS OMG!

Not to say that either group is right or wrong. Different set of priorities. Interesting stuff.

As to what the poster should do, I'd say buying a launch console as a casual gamer is probably not the best move. Console launches are notorious for not having an awesome lineup from the get-go, even though Wii's was stellar from a hardcore gamer perspective (Twilight Princess OMG!).

However, before you take it back, I would suggest trying a few games better suited to your casual play-style. Rayman Raving Rabbids and Wario Ware highly recommended. Pick 'em up at your local rental shop and try them out.

I'd say i fit your demographic and here's my take...

I've never been a hardcore gamer, but I have had consoles dating back to the NES. Now that I have less time to play games due to work family and other responsibilities I feel like the Wii is the perfect fit and will only get better moving forward. My time is so limited that I can't sit down and get into the long drawn out games and learning how to play. I can with the Wii...pick up games like Wii Sports, Warioware, MonkeyBall, and play for 20 mins here 30 mins there and enjoy it. With the Wii my wife and 3 yr old even want to play. Which lends to great family time. We constantly have friends over for dinner and then we always end up playing Wii b/c it is one of those things (depending on the game) that almost anyone can pick up, play and have a blast.

I've downloaded only a couple of VC games at this point, but there are sure to be more and more old school games that will be worth the download too. The Wii concept and implementation are outstanding. There is something for everyone and it's only the beginning. There are great games coming really really soon. I bought Zelda b/c of the hype and I'm not disappointed but I do find myself not playing it due to the time it takes. I love Madden but I've always tended to be a sports gamer. As for the party games try the ones I mentioned above and have some friends over to play. I say you stick it out and I think you will benefit in the long run.

The Wii is new, it's only about 3 months and the 360 has been going for a year now. Wait a while and you will be glad you kept your Wii. Right now mines sitting beside me doing nothing, I don't want to play on it. But I will when the right games come out.

Guys im not quite your age but almost, be patient trust me you will regret it when bigger and better games come out.

Back