UK Wii S-video support?

Cyphizer

WiiChat Member
Dec 11, 2006
Hi guys,

I was about to buy a S-Video cable for my Wii so I can plug it into my PC monitor like I do with my PS2, but I saw that the Blaze s-video cable is not supported by the PAL (UK) Wii's

Just wondering if all UK Wii's dont support a S-video out or if it was just this Blaze cable

Thanks in advance

Nige

as far as i know, there isnt a UK s-video cable.

i just saw the page for the japanese wii accesories, and it looked like an s-video cable was available there, so we may get one soon.

failing that i think you would need an adapter

I've been doing a bit more reading into this and I've been told that the PAL versions of the Wii dont support an s-video out AT ALL, only US and Jap versions do. Does anyone know if there's any truth behind this??

Well my monitor has a composite in and s-video in, but the quality with composite is really shoddy, especially the colours and contrast (can barely make out details on the Miis in the Mii Plaza) so I really need a S-Video cable. Cant work out why Nintendo would disable it, seems a bit silly : (

From what I understand on the gaemcube it was to add scart output for Pal machines. They also stripped progressive scan from the digital out.

We should have an option in the UK of either a machine the same as the US or a European machine. Imagine that either a US machine with 60hz VC games, S-Video out, and a decent release schedule, or a Euro machine with things missing, 50hz VC Games and benefit of choosing french / german in the language options.

Might sell my UK one and get a US one so I don't have to switch cables to play VC games

You have to switch cables to play VC games? I was thinking of taking mine back and getting a refund, got a launch consol and it has this System Memory Error thing that some got, meant to take it to nintendo to fix but i'm just being lazy.

Getting a US version sounds like a good idea atm

Do remember Wii games are regionalised - so that may be a problem.

Cyphizer said:
You have to switch cables to play VC games? I was thinking of taking mine back and getting a refund, got a launch consol and it has this System Memory Error thing that some got, meant to take it to nintendo to fix but i'm just being lazy.

Getting a US version sounds like a good idea atm

:incazzato: Bit annoyed at Nintendo.

I love our below-standard and over priced things in the UK. Especially the funny exchange rate companies seem to use ($300 in the US, £300 in the UK - Apple used to be the worst for this)

So just to clear up, no s-video at all for the UK Wii's, ever?? If so, could I buy a component cable then an adapter to convert it to s-video

US games are only £31.99 from importmadness. I did have a preorder with Lik Sang for a US one, but as they closed down I got a UK one instead.

You should be able to get a box to convert component to s-video, but it will cost a bit. If you just want to connect it to your pc monitor something like this should do it

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/video-vga-gvm-2000.html

You can run your PC on VGA, PS2 on svideo and the Wii on composite. It even has a remote to switch input sources and control the picture settings

Seeing as no other S-Video cables work on the PAL wii I highly doubt this one will. It comes from Hong Kong so is likely an NTSC machine cable

Well thanks for the help guys. I think i'm gonna buy a component cable then get a component-s-video adapter cable (I've actualy got one already, but the s-video jack is the type you plug into a PC video card and not my monitor)

Boo at Nintendo for all of this

By far the easiest thing to do is to get a cheap s-video cable (you can get one from big offers, ukxs, and the like for £1 or so) and butcher it yourself.

S-Video separates the luminance and chromiance signals, composite is... well... a composite of the two. HOWEVER, if you feed the SAME composite signal to both lum and chrom on the s-video connection, it will work.

You won't achieve a noticable improvement in quality, but it will work fine.

My TV is on the opposite wall to my Wii, AV Amp etc, and I use S-Video to go round the edge of the room. The Wii is connected to an S-Video input on my AV Amp as above :)

Back