Wii S-video Cable

Matt's_A_Bluebird

Proud Owner Of A Wii
Mar 13, 2007
CARDIFF IN WALES!
Wii Online Code
7591-7050-1749-1437
Hi I was just wondering, do the Wii S-video cables allow you to run the 480p. I have componant cable inputs on my T.V. But I want to save them incase I get a PS3 eventually. Thanks.

S-Video is typically 480i .. there are some"specialty" s-video cables that can carry 480P signal, but I doubt they would make it for Wii.

I honestly have never heard of an S-Video cable or specification that allowed for 480p. Everything I've seen is 480i. Where are these "specialty" cables you refer to?

Doesn't the PS3 use HDMI?

Also, I have my Xbox and Wii plugged into the same component ports. All you need is a £15 ($30) component splitter.

FRuMMaGe said:
Doesn't the PS3 use HDMI?

PS3 has the option of going composite, component, or HDMI .. maybe his TV doesn't have and HDMI port

FRuMMaGe said:
Also, I have my Xbox and Wii plugged into the same component ports. All you need is a £15 ($30) component splitter.

That sounds like a good suggestion, my only concern (whether it has any basis or not I don't know) is how do the consoles react over time with having video signals "inputed" into their outputs. a "Y" splitter does not control the flow of signal. It just takes what it sees on one port and send it out the other two. so when you have your Xbox on it send the signal to the TV and your Wii, and visa-versa. And what happens to your TV if you mistakenly have both your consoles on at the same time?

Just curious!

tumi said:
PS3 has the option of going composite, component, or HDMI .. maybe his TV doesn't have and HDMI port

That sounds like a good suggestion, my only concern (whether it has any basis or not I don't know) is how do the consoles react over time with having video signals "inputed" into their outputs. a "Y" splitter does not control the flow of signal. It just takes what it sees on one port and send it out the other two. so when you have your Xbox on it send the signal to the TV and your Wii, and visa-versa. And what happens to your TV if you mistakenly have both your consoles on at the same time?

Just curious!
It is a splitter with a switch, so there is no problem.

It can be on one channel or the other, not both :yesnod:

tumi said:
Here is an example

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/scateto48.html

**btw I don't know if these cables work or not** but this seems to be a picky forum so I included that statement as to not be called out on it ;)
Well, isn't that curious. I'm inclined to think that it's a marketing gimmick. I don't believe any devices actually can send or receive 480p over s-video.

If someone proves me wrong, though, I'm man enough to admit it. But as far as I can tell, the S-Video spec means 480i.

FRuMMaGe said:
It is a splitter with a switch, so there is no problem.

It can be on one channel or the other, not both :yesnod:

Is there a dip switch or something that determines which input to display or does like "port 1" have a higher preference than "port 2".

sremick said:
Well, isn't that curious. I'm inclined to think that it's a marketing gimmick. I don't believe any devices actually can send or receive 480p over s-video.

If someone proves me wrong, though, I'm man enough to admit it. But as far as I can tell, the S-Video spec means 480i.
My brother was using his PS3 with a composite cable and it looks terrible. He the bought a HDMI to VGA adapter and it looks amazing. He doesn't have an HDTV but it sure as hell looks like it is.

FRuMMaGe said:
My brother was using his PS3 with a composite cable and it looks terrible. He the bought a HDMI to VGA adapter and it looks amazing. He doesn't have an HDTV but it sure as hell looks like it is.
Nothing surprising about that. Just about anything is better than composite. Even S-video will show a huge improvement.

So his TV has a VGA input? Not many do, but they do exist. If he's using a computer monitor with a VGA input, it could very well be HD. But he'd be better with a HDMI to DVI connector if he's using a computer monitor.

HDMI is several generations better of a connection than composite, and although VGA converts the digital signal back to analog, you retain most of the color accuracy and all of the resolution.

sremick said:
But he'd be better with a HDMI to DVI connector if he's using a computer monitor.

The monitor has to be HDCP certified for HDMI-2-DVI to work. If not he will just get the infamous "black" screen.

For my nephews setup .. I had to go component out on the PS3 to the X2VGA2 box from Neoya and then VGA to his 24' widescreen monitor, then take the L/R audio and convert that to mini din and hooked that up to the computer speakers.

http://www.x2vga.com/

It worked pretty sweet .. and he can add another set of components in, like a Xbox or something ..

**BTW** HDCP is some sort of copyright protection technology .. that prevents movies or any HD content from being displayed or sent non-licensed devices

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCP

Last edited:
It sounds like a good idea to get Wii componant cables then a HDMI to DVI converter if I get a PS3. My TV is a 19" LCD HD, it's an "LG M198WA" if anybody would care to do some research for me lol!

Back