USB to ethernet adapter help

lol sorta i'm A+ trained and do networking for my family and friend i wish i got paid google is my manual :)

yes i would personally use the nintendo one but it really dosnt make a difference, the first ones you posted WILL work.

Oh my god, Does anyone really know anything about computer hardware over here?????
If you go and buy a USB-LAN adapter you need to get the Nintendo one or one that is exactly the same product labelled with another brand.

The thing is Nintendo is NOT a majour OS manufacturer like Micro$oft who works with all the hardware manufacturers and get drivers for their products pre-installed into their operating system.

Nintendo does not have drivers for all the USB-LAN dongles in the world and therefore most likely the only one that will work is the Nintendo branded or others using the same USB chip and LAN chip inside the dongle. and there is no way to install any drivers into the Wii so forget about those second party adapters.

I know the one i got doesn't need any drivers. Plus nintendo hasn't said anything about their ethernet kit. We have no idea when it is going to be out so i will take my chances with the one i got. And if it doesn't work then i will get nintendo's, whenever the heck it actually comes out.

thoughtcrimnal84 said:
I know the one i got doesn't need any drivers. Plus nintendo hasn't said anything about their ethernet kit. We have no idea when it is going to be out so i will take my chances with the one i got. And if it doesn't work then i will get nintendo's, whenever the heck it actually comes out.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS "NEEDS NO DRIVERS" what that phrase means is that WindowsXP already has preinstalled unified drivers for certain hardware setups that it will use for your device.

If you check the device specs you will see that it works on XP and newer operating systems but if you want to use it for an older system like windows98 or 95 you need to download drivers if they are available since those dont come with preinstalled drivers.

infernocs said:
Oh my god, Does anyone really know anything about computer hardware over here?????

I have my associates degree in pc tech and finishing my LAN management one up this semester :).

And yes I agree with you fully, hence me and link's posts. Even plug and play uses drivers on the device itself. Network adapters don't work the same way flash drives do, as in they all use the same driver basically. Those adapters from buyxtra require driver installation via a cd. The nintendo ones use a driver already installed in the firmware/os. Buy the nintendo one.

Last edited:
my computer is old and crappy, i have windows ME not XP so the wifi dongle/connector thing wont work for me either. I already have a wired router so i am not buying a wireless one just for the wii.

I am a little pissed because the wii doesn't have an ethernet port AND we have zero news on nintendo's "ethernet kit." We have no idea when it will come out. I really don't like that i may have to wait until January or Feburary until i can get online with the wii. I wish that they would just tell us when their adapter it is coming out already. Preferably at launch but i HIGHLY doubt it.

Nintendo definetly dropped the ball as far as online goes. Everybody and their brother definetly does not have a wireless router. Nor do they wanna deal with all the latency issues with gaming online over wifi

The drivers are not necessarily an issue. When the PS2 came out there were several generic USB-Ethernet connectors that worked.

I do not know about the Wii, I guess we will find out in the coming days, but if no one can confirm or deny either case I'd wait and see. Or at least keep your receipt if you buy one.

I'm sure the Nintendo branded one will be WAY more expensive than a regular one. Look at the SD cards for example.

thoughtcrimnal84 said:
my computer is old and crappy, i have windows ME not XP so the wifi dongle/connector thing wont work for me either. I already have a wired router so i am not buying a wireless one just for the wii.

I am a little pissed because the wii doesn't have an ethernet port AND we have zero news on nintendo's "ethernet kit." We have no idea when it will come out. I really don't like that i may have to wait until January or Feburary until i can get online with the wii. I wish that they would just tell us when their adapter it is coming out already. Preferably at launch but i HIGHLY doubt it.

Nintendo definetly dropped the ball as far as online goes. Everybody and their brother definetly does not have a wireless router. Nor do they wanna deal with all the latency issues with gaming online over wifi

Your adapter has nothing to do with your computers operating system. You can still use USB adapters with windows Me/2000/nt/98

Last edited:
vagrant said:
Your operating system has nothing to do with your computers operating system. You can still use USB adapters with windows Me/2000/nt/98

Yes, but the wireless set-up for the Wii, I believe, said that you had to have XP.

Also, I have a question. My computer is in our office at home, and the TV is just through a plaster wall from that. Does anyone any reason why, if I were to buy the Nintendo USB Wi-Fi Adaptor, that it wouldn't work?

Thanks in advance for your help. :thumbsup:

frontsidefish said:
Yes, but the wireless set-up for the Wii, I believe, said that you had to have XP.

Also, I have a question. My computer is in our office at home, and the TV is just through a plaster wall from that. Does anyone any reason why, if I were to buy the Nintendo USB Wi-Fi Adaptor, that it wouldn't work?

Thanks in advance for your help. :thumbsup:

If you have a wireless adapter or if you have a wireless router. It has nothing to do with your operating system.

thoughtcrimnal84 said:
I have heavily researched the Wifi donlge because it seemed like a great answer for me but it does work only for Windows XP.

Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
look under criticism

What are you talking about? I am referring to the usb adapters you posted in the first post. I wasn't talking about wifi adapters, nor were you.

And it doesn't matter what brand of USB wifi adapter you use, because it plugs into your computer not the Wii itself, like a usb to cat5 adapter would(which is what you posted).

USB Adapter 802.11 Wireless 2.4GHz WI-FI Converter USBG-2203 LOW PRICE $29.98

Operating System Windows 98SE, Me, 2000, XP

Apparently you didn't heavily research enough.

Back