Using a French Wii in the US

elleday

WiiChat Member
Oct 24, 2007
I was given a Wii for my birthday in France. I live in the US and I'm concerned about using it there are the voltage is different. Does anyone know what I can do?

Thanks

elleday said:
I was given a Wii for my birthday in France. I live in the US and I'm concerned about using it there are the voltage is different. Does anyone know what I can do?

Thanks
The voltage isn't a problem as there are converters for that. The things you need to consider is...

1. U.S. televisions are NTSC while most of Europe is PAL/SECOM format. Some European televisions will support NTSC however the same can't be said about U.S. televisions, most CRT televisions don't offer compatibility (can't say the same for LCD/Plasma). I've heard that using component cables in 480i format (EDTV) is a international standard therefore if that is true your HDTV/EDTV's should work.
  2. A European Wii will not play the U.S. games as they are region encoded. This means that all your games will have to be imported, and to make matters worse, Europe is generally last to receive games releases as well. Ne prepared to be teased as games rot on the shelf as you will be unable to buy them and play.
  3. The Forecast and News channels won't display properly as you will be unable to assign your U.S. location. Thankfully this will be the LEAST of your troubles.
I suggest selling it while you are still in France, or posting it up on eBay. Use the money to invest in an US/Canadian Wii.

Problems vary from croissants with no butter exiting your Wii console, and a lack of wine.

Back