Video killed the Wii star?

Squiddles

WiiChat Member
Oct 12, 2011
Narvon, PA
Okay, so I just recently bought THIS, and I love it. For some reason, after buying the monitor, I got this crazy idea in my head that "Hey, it'd be sick if I could hook a Wii up to my monitor and just use one of it's displays as a TV to play Monster Hunter Tri on!". So I go on Amazon and buy a used Wii, a Composite-to-HDMI cable, and a double-female Component coupler. The Wii and all the cables I ordered all came today, so I was ridiculously excited to try it out and hook everything up. So I finally get all the Wii essentials hooked up, and I plug my Composite cable into the coupler, and much to my dismay, nothing shows up. :C
I've tried every possible combination of greens and reds and blues that I could possibly think of, and it won't display any image through my monitor (yes, I switched my monitor to HDMI). I'm willing to go ahead and buy another cable or converter, but I would like to know if there's anything I can do with my current situation. This is what I have to work with at the moment;

-- 1x Wii and necessary cables and whatnot (component video, not composite)
-- 1x double-female component coupler (this thing)
-- 1x 6' Composite-to-HDMI cable

My monitor has the following connections;

-- 1x VGA port
-- 1x DVI port (currently in use by my computer)
-- 1x HDMI port (what I'm trying to connect to)

If anybody has any information / suggestions as to how I can get this setup to work, that'd be awesome. I've spent the past 3 hours trying to come up with creative alternatives and nothing is working, so I'm more than willing to let someone else throw me some ideas :D
Oh, also, I'd rather not buy an actual conversion box, but I will if necessary. I'm sure I'm not the only person who's had this kind of problem before, but I've found surprisingly little information online regarding this topic :c

The problem is the stuff your using is not working with your monitor. The composite to HDMI cable your using IS NOT WORKING because it's still sending the 480i singal thru the HDMI cable, to the monitor -which only accepts progressive scan signals (ie 480P 720P 1080P, but NOT 480i and 1080i)

What you need is a composite or component to HDMI CONVERTER BOX, which converts the interlaced signal from the component or composite cables your using (eg Wii, Xbox, TV, DVD, etc.) to 720P or 1080P for displays only support that format. You can get them (preferibly) thru amazon or whoever sells electronics... Though amazon has more slection and is far cheaper (priced at around $30-60 depending) than Best Buy for that matter.

If your have your Wii equiped with Component cables (the ones that are red,green,blue), you NEED this one.

Component RGB YPbPr w/L - R audio jacks to HDMI converter box:
http://www.amazon.com/component-YPb...3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1318322272&sr=1-3

Or if you got it hooked up with composite cables (which are yellow, w/ red and white audio cables)...

S-Video/RCA Composite w/L - R audio to HDMI Converter Box:

http://www.amazon.com/Composite-S-v...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1318459573&sr=1-2

(You may need to get adiditional HDMI cables for them unless you got a whole ton of spares)

To be honest, if you got Component (RGB - red green blue) cables i'd get the one that for component to HDMI because you'll get a MUCH better and sharper picture. I wouldn't get the one for composite to HDMI unless you don't mind a blurry, distorted picture.

Also, being your monitor has only one HDMI port but if anything else that is HDMI (eg, PS3, X box, HDTV box, Bluray/HDMI DVD player, HDMI Computer, etc.) you want to use, but your using yoer only one port for the Wii via component/compostie to HDMI. You could get a HDMI switch box that allows you hook up 2 or 5 things (depending on the model) that are HDMI, but going to only one HDMI port and you could switch the signals whenever something else is on or off. Depending on what one you get, they range from $10-80, but I found one that has 5 ports for $16!

HDMI 5x1 5 Port Switch/Switcher with IR Remote Support 3D:

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Switch-Switcher-Remote-Support/dp/B00264NZWS/ref=pd_sim_e4

Hope this helps.

Wow, thanks dude, this actually helps a LOT. I think what I'm just gonna do is buy the component cable for the Wii and snag a Component-to-HDMI box. On that note, I found a cheaper place to get almost the exact same box you posted. I'm not sure if there's any significant drop in quality, but usually stuff from Newegg is retail quality, just at a lower price.

But yeah, thanks again for the info, crossing my fingers that this stuff will all get here by Friday so I can waste my entire weekend >:D

Actually, that particular listing I posted happens to be an Open Box listing, but you get the idea. If you've never bought anything from Newegg, I suggest taking a look at their stock, I've become a dedicated customer thanks to their spectacular selection and customer service :p

TNX for the listing on Newegg. But the problem is i'm not liking the "Open Box" thing they have going for it and I don't want to take any risks. I've got the composite to HDMI box from amazon a few months ago and had no problems what so ever with shipping, pricing, and etc. It works pretty good so far (for my Direct TV box, games via composite output still look terrible on it).

If Newegg is really good as they say, i'll try it out. But because the HDMI switch I want is on Amazon,and the ones on Newegg seem overpriced and appear only work on european power supplies/TVS (from what i've seen), i'll stick to amazon with the switch and converter box... only because my parents prefer everything to come from one trusted place.

(if you get the products from Newegg, lemme know how the delivery is, if it works and if it's "Used")

TNX again, and lemme know how this all turns out!

Hey, sorry about the long reply, my converter JUST got here (it usually only takes a day or two since most of their stuff come from Philadelphia which is like, next door to me, I think this came from Canada?). Granted, I got lucky with this listing, being an "Open-Box" item (returned to Newegg), considering it's still got the original packaging and everything. I'm assuming someone ordered the wrong type of converter and just sent it back.
At any rate, my converter box works PERFECTLY, and I got it for about $15 cheaper than I would've normally :D So yeah, mystery solved, I guess :p there really should be like, an official YouTube video explaining this, since apparently it's something people try to do all the time. Anyways, thanks for the help, I'm off to play me some Monster Hunter Tri >:D

Back