Video tutorial: Build your own wii in 10 minutes

That didn't take long...next people will be figuring out how to put the games into their computer so they won't need the console.

1.How is it a wii if it doesnt play its games
2.The custom made sensor bar magicly
connects to the computer right

edit just read on there site that it says

"This system will NOT play existing or future actual Wii games. "

then why call it a wii system?

Kinda misleading, your not really building a wii, just using ur cpu to mimic the wii. I like mario galaxy better.

I find it interesting because I am kinda broke buying all the Wii games that are actually very simple to make. Even half-baked programmer like myself can write some Wii games can access the wiimote's motion data. I am sure there are plenty of smart people out there who would take advantage of it write some cool games that are free for average gamers to download and play.

d_k said:

I agree, it's a little misleading, but hey, the idea is cool for guys who dont own a Wii.
About "how the custom made sensor bar magically connects to the computer", that's actually the educational part of the video. Wii's sensor doesnt actually communicate with the Wii console at all! It's just a couple of IR LEDS on a wire. It's the Wiimote that's doing all the work.

d_k said:

1. it doesnt play wii games, it just lets you see how the wii works and shows you how to design your own version...
i doubt anyone will crack the Wii code in the life of the wii... but maybe in the future someone will make a emulator to be able to play wii games on your pc...

2. the sensor bar doesnt need to connect to anything.. its only for IR lighting thats why they have "wireless sensor bars" in the after market...

its not the same as say a t.v. remote where the IR is transmistting pulse signal to a device itself.. in this case IR is only used for location and that information is sent via the wiimote bluetooth...

watch this for better understanding...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLbWqFQRUhc&feature=related

Last edited:
ah thanks like i said magicly =]

wezeles said:
2. the sensor bar doesnt need to connect to anything.. its only for IR lighting thats why they have "wireless sensor bars" in the after market...

listen to this guy for better breakdown i guess
Nice video!

yeah, the wii's "sensor bar" name is misleading too, lol - it doesnt sense anything

The Wiimote has an Infrared Camera to detect the presence of Infrared radiation emanating from the sensor bar, using this, the Wiimote attempts to discern your location in 3d space. So this really does work but it's not very practical.

Edit: Woops already posted somewhere

so your telling me the infrared light in my bathroom can play the wii?

What. Tape 2 gamecubes together?

Back