Weird Wii online problem

elgaz

WiiChat Member
Feb 11, 2007
I bought my girlfriend a Nintendo Wii a few weeks ago and it has been working totally fine online. I have an NTL cable modem connected to a Belkin Wireless router (with encryption enabled) and I was able to see the SSID in the Wii setup menu, enter my WPA password and connect to the wireless network and download updates etc. We even downloaded Mario Kart 64 and Mario Brothers from the Virtual Console, so I know everything was working 100%.

Yesterday I got an Xbox 360 for myself. I set it up for online gameplay but connected it to the Belkin router with an ethernet cable rather than wireless.
So we now have :

NTL Cable Modem ---> Belkin Wireless Point ---> Wii (wifi) and Xbox (cabled)

I was able to pick up an IP address automatically with no problem on the Xbox. The only changes I had to make on the router were to open a number of ports for the Xbox 360 to connect out (TCP 3074 and 88, UDP 3074 and 88). I tried a few games on xbox live and all works ok.

However, the Wii will not connect to the internet now at all - even with the Xbox 360 turned off. I can see my wireless network SSID when I scan, but it doesn't seem to work with automatic settings, or even manual ones when I put in a different IP. I work in IT and have good experience with wireless settings, networks, etc, but I can't for the life of me figure out why it's not working. I've tried disabling my firewall on the Belkin and it still doesn't work - it's almost like the Wii can see my network but can't pick up an IP address. No other changes were made to the Belkin setup so I'm totally puzzled why it's stopped working.

Anyone else had a similar situation?

Gaz

What mode are you using?
802.11g doesn't work with the Wii.
Put it in b mode or b/g (also worded as "mixed" mode or "compatibility" mode)
This will be under Wireless options, or Security options.

802.11g ..... same mode it was in before when it was working.

Gaz

The status of the xbox (on, off, plugged, unplugged) seems to make no difference.

Got it sorted, thanks. Just totally reset my router to factory config and put in all my settings again, seems to be working ok now. It basically has the same configuration as before so I don't know why it didn't work then but thats routers for you!

Gaz

Back