What cables should I use with the Wii?

ffrllc

WiiChat Member
Jul 12, 2007
I have a new Wii on the way as well as a new LCD that the Wii will be played on (mostly anyway).

This new TV will have both HDMI and Component inputs (as well as basic other more basic inputs) that I can use for the Wii.

What cables would you use (sorry for the ignorance as I don't know much about this stuff)? And, I've seen there are different types of cables within each format (HMDI male to male, male to female, etc...) so which type of cable will work with the Wii system to give the best picture?

Thanks in advance for any help !!!

The best picture will come from a COMPONENT cable. The Wii comes with a COMPOSITE cable. But there isnt enough difference to justify $30+ for a component cable.

EDIT: I doubt your TV doesn't have composite inputs on it.

Last edited:
Thank you for the response.

I can get some non OEM Component Cables for the Wii on eBay for pretty cheap $10 or so shipped. Will these type of cables be better then the composite cables that come with the Wii?

Thanks again for the help.

ffrllc said:
I have a new Wii on the way as well as a new LCD that the Wii will be played on (mostly anyway).

This new TV will have both HDMI and Component inputs (as well as basic other more basic inputs) that I can use for the Wii.

What cables would you use (sorry for the ignorance as I don't know much about this stuff)? And, I've seen there are different types of cables within each format (HMDI male to male, male to female, etc...) so which type of cable will work with the Wii system to give the best picture?

Thanks in advance for any help !!!

There is no HMDI cable for the wii, so that kinda of answers that question.

Digital audio?

How about the right cable to connect digital audio to a home theater system? It looks like both the composite cable and component cables use standard analog stereo. Thanks.

I ordered the cable you suggested.

Thanks for the link and the help.

jdmcdonald said:
How about the right cable to connect digital audio to a home theater system? It looks like both the composite cable and component cables use standard analog stereo. Thanks.

The Wii doesn't do digital audio.

Spyro said:
Component separates the video into 3 different signals: red, green, and blue. This is much more clear than sending it all at once with one cable like composite does.

The one you described is more a description of RGB instead of component video. Anyway, many people are confused between the two. Check out dealextreme.com. They have several different component cables for Wii. The cheapest one is $5.78 shipped.

Back