What gaming franchise do you think should die?

Fox

Super Mοderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2007
Net Slum
Wii Online Code
2625-5585-1810-7837
Well, I was watching G4s 2007 game of the year special (Congradulations Bioshock) and came up with the idea of a thread with the intent to express ones desire to see a series(s)/franchise(s) die, (or bow out for lack of a better term).
Simply post the name of a series(s) thaf you think deserves to be discontinued and preferably give a reason as to why you think so.

I'll start

Sonic the Hedgehog - This franchise started as a gloryous monument to platform gaming, rivaling the immortal Mario, and has been around for 16 years, a very long time to be the fastest thing alive.
Sonic's success propelled SEGA into gaming hystory almost instantly with memorable music, catchy gaming, and flawless controlls. Sonic hit the preverbial speedbump when he was introduced to 3D gaming. 2D side-scrolling action is what made Sonic so much fun, but supersonic speed plus platforming in a 3D invironment does not make a very impressive combo.
With the addition of several new charecters, remedial voicovers, and sketchy storylines, Sonic's fame was saverely cut. Most Sonic titles nowadays are poorly made and have very crappy controlls (Secret Rings, Sonic (360/PS3) and with years of semi-failure behind, there seems to be a preverbial "nail in the coffin" in the near future.
Not all of SEGA's speedy blue endeavors have been completely ass. The Sonic Rush/Advance series has been a great success and shows where Sonic's true glory lies, in high speed 2D platforming. Nintendo as of late has been recovering much of the broken blue blur with his addition to the popular Super Smash Brothers: Brawl and the co-operative collection of olympic mini-games that is Sonic and Mario at ths Olympic Games, but not much hope is seen for 'ol true blue in the future. There has been a lot of hype over the upcoming Sonic Riders 2 (Zero Gravity) and this mysterious Sonic RPG project, which shows a glimmer of hope for the series however.
I personnaly grew up on Sonic. It was my first game, and to this day is my favorite series, but I hate to see all of this mediocrity in such an iconic figure. In my opinion, the Sonic the Hedgehog series should gracefully, bow out.

Lets here some of you'rs.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think so but for some reason I couldnt find it. My guess is it got shut down due to spam.

well in that case.....

i think there shouldn't be a redsteel franchise...it wasnt really any room to make a sequel from the first one, after that it's just gonna be a stretch.

Mortal Kombat: The franchise started off gud with gud charachters and as it went on more characters started to appear and better moves. but now theres always the same lame characters and newly added ones with same and/or not that diffrent moves. They should make totally new characters with more moves and some damn gud stories. c'mon.
:cryin: i used to love the games.

When will we see a Waluigi franchise!?!

If I won the lottery there would be some SERIOUS changes to the gaming world. Purple changes :lol:

MVGeneral said:
Mortal Kombat: The franchise started off gud with gud charachters and as it went on more characters started to appear and better moves. but now theres always the same lame characters and newly added ones with same and/or not that diffrent moves. They should make totally new characters with more moves and some damn gud stories. c'mon.

What are you talking about? MK is still the biggest Fighting franchise today. Have you played MK: Armegedon. Its actually good, compared to the new addition of Tekken and DBZ. Also the storylines will always be cheesey, they're like that now and they were like that on the SNES ( who even pays attention to the storyline?) And the characters are better than ever. If it were up to me I'd just keep the original cast. MK will always be around.

Now on to Sonic, yes I know his rescent games have seriously sucked wet ass, but look at his character. SEGA did pretty well on him. Hes very creative. Lighning Fast Hedgehog, Star Catching Plumber. Sounds like pretty descent characters to me. I dont think SEGA will let him go to waste. He's had some awesome games as well. Sonic Adventure Battle 2 ( I still play it today) and the original 2D genisis games ( this was when Mario actually had a rival in the gaming franchise) Plus SEGA has like 3 announced titles for sonic in 2008. Good Games. (Brawl, Sonic Riders 2, SEGA Tennis) so I think we will be seeing Sonic for a while.

Now for my opinion,

Super Smash Bros, I personally just think this title is an Ace In The Hole fo Nintendo. When Nintendo needs some hype or extra doe they release this game. Yes these games are awesome, I love them, but when these are done theres nothing really to look forward to. I think that Nintendo should be more creative and make some new characters like the NES days. All their doing right now is remaking old games and characters, and releasing FPS's.

MVGeneral said:
I agree.
Mortal Kombat: Armaggedon SUCKED!!
At the most, weapons and fighting styles were just jumbled and duplicated amongst the fighters (based on weapons from Deception). Just a rehashed, thrown together version of MK Deception, (which was a very good game)
Producer Ed Boon stated that Armaggedon was in fact the final MK game so the bloom is already off that rose.

@Wamoo- Yes, Sonic seems too iconic to die, but the series is just loosing more and more ground. Sonic has almost become a joke in games lately, and if it were to just die, we could reflect on the series and salvage some of the nostalgic success and say it was still a high-grade franchise. If more and more Sonic titles are being crapfully shoved into retail, Sonic will be nothing more than a chuckled memory of a hasbeen hedgehog.
I dont want that. It will take a huge string of success to recover from games like Shadow the Hedgehog. (gags)

Last edited:
The BomberMan franchise should die in my opinion..... I mean on the Nintendo 64, BomberMan64 was great...im pretty sure everyone loved the game: Adventure mode:...awe-inspiring...Battle Mode:...You could just keep playing till you dropped.
But ever since then...it started to drop from high to low scores.......The name that once used to Be Glorious...Went into a Full Pile Crap, Ontop of Crap..
This is a game that shouldnt be resureccted again in my view...and should be laid to rest! Only to think about its glory days..

I think most games derived from TV shows and Movies should have never been made in the first place, most of which are made poorly and have nowhere near the same entertainment value as the original source of the games.

FIFA - Come on EA you have done every thing

Sonics 3D games - I think wii all know wii
CyanRussel said:
The BomberMan franchise should die in my opinion
The bomberman games single player should die
It was good on the Saturn (heh tenplayer) in single but every other one is a bit rubbish

Darkprinny said:
FIFA - Come on EA you have done every thing

Sonics 3D games - I think wii all know wii

The bomberman games single player should die
It was good on the Saturn (heh tenplayer) in single but every other one is a bit rubbish
Well not everyone of them....Bomberman single player on 64 wasnt bad at all....its pretty impressive if you ask me..

Once it got on the PSX to the PS2 *Thats when they didnt really have any Bomberman sequels on ninty* it started to suck big time

TortillaChip520 said:
wasnt there already a thread like this?? :crazy: deja vu....
yea, i made one but oh well

i agree on tails that sonic should die unless they go back to the old classic 2-D platforming, which they wont do so yea.....

i would say mario party (even though i enjoy them) but it dosent exactly need to die, it simply needs some new gameplay or features. i say it should be done by a different person

Wamoo said:
I think that Nintendo should be more creative and make some new characters like the NES days. All their doing right now is remaking old games and characters, and releasing FPS's.

Although I know Nintendo isnt doing anything with FPS so I dont know where you got that, I am craving a new Wii-specific franchise for the hardcore audience. Although Super Mario 55 is gonna be great, you cant beat the new, fresh feeling of brand new franchises. The future IMO looks grim, however, because why invent a new franchise with new awesome game elements when you could just put it in Super Mario Universe. Know what I mean?
blueovalboy7 said:
I think most games derived from TV shows and Movies should have never been made in the first place, most of which are made poorly and have nowhere near the same entertainment value as the original source of the games.

I think licensed games should copy an engine outright and paste the games license over it, IE making a solid platformer exactly like mario galaxy but with aladdin characters, making a game exactly like final fantasy with some lots of character tv franchise characters, know what I mean? You can't beat SNES-era licensed games. Aladdin was seriously gold, and even games like AAAAH real monsters were good. On a positive note I have heard good things about the Wii game for chicken little, it kinda copies ratchet and clank and pastes the CL license over it. That's what I would want in a licensed game.

Last edited:
Back