Why does standby have to be on for the Forecast and News channels to work?

Atomheart

M'bating to Z Suit Samus
Jul 30, 2007
WI
I don't get it. Why does standby have to be on? I don't see how it is involved in the functioning of it. When I click on the forecast channel (but before starting it up), it knows my city, the weather, the temperature, etc. with the standby OFF. Why do I have to turn it on?

Seems like a crappy ploy to get Wii owners to put standby on...

To allow for updates of whatever kind to be sent to your Wii. You have to remember, it updates other places as well and to see those updates you need standby on. You may find other places and their updates to be boring, but some don't.

I don't see the real trouble having standby on.

Why does standby have to be on? When my Wii is on, it can do all the updating it wants. I have WiConnect24 on, but standby off.

I have standby off for two reasons:

1. It wastes energy.
2. It has been strongly implicated in the overheating of Wiis.

Regardless, there is absolutely no reason that those two channels can't work with standby off. I've never had standby on, and I get all of my updates and whatnot.

what do you have against standby? are you modded? it doesn't take up ANY bandwidth to worry about... :)

idjut said:
what do you have against standby? are you modded? it doesn't take up ANY bandwidth to worry about... :)

Read above.

Wii Connect 24 doesn't work if you don't have stand-by on (I think). Also, you can leave the stand-by setting on in the settings menu but when you power it down, hold down the power button for a few seconds... this turns the Wii completely off but standby settings will still be there next time you power it up.

i've actually been wondering the same thing.

what's the point of leaving it on stanby if i'm required to "accept" an update when i turn my wii on?

I just power mine down. I had my Wii laying flat on top of my Xbox. I never knew it was on standbye until I realized my Wii was still hot and it was heating up my 360. So I started unplugging it everytime I turned it off until I realized you could hold it for 5 seconds.

Though it wasnt like I was stupid not to atleast try. I did try to power it down before but since it would flicker and the blue light turned on, I kept thinking I was just turning it on.

idjut said:
i did read it Atomheart...you called it a ploy... doesn't make sense...
what do you have against leaving standby on? :)

Here:

Atomheart said:
Why does standby have to be on? When my Wii is on, it can do all the updating it wants. I have WiConnect24 on, but standby off.

I have standby off for two reasons:

1. It wastes energy.
2. It has been strongly implicated in the overheating of Wiis.

Regardless, there is absolutely no reason that those two channels can't work with standby off. I've never had standby on, and I get all of my updates and whatnot.

Atomheart said:
Read above.
:lol: oops! sorry...

i'm bowing out, but here:

the info it gets for news and weather is not live. the servers that support that information is hit by your wii a couple times a day...

imagine hundreds of thousands of wiis hitting these servers every minute or two to ensure it's updated.

i'm gone.... :)

Back