No News or Weather without STANDBY?

X2222

WiiChat Member
Feb 15, 2007
The connection on my wii works fine and wii connect 24 is turned on (even the browser works. But... I can't access the news or weather channels unless i enable the standby mode. Why can't it just get its updates on demand and work without the possibility of standby mode. Is this an error? Is there a way to get around oit without turning standby on?

It sounds like an error to me....wiiconnect 24 is supposed to stay on to get news and weather...,just call nintendo and ask

Uh, it is turned off if you are not standby. Turned off = no power to try to pull updates to the feeds.

Yeah, but what im saying it that i get that error message saying wiconnect 24 is off when the machine IS on and i try to access news or weather. I goto settings and i see that it clearly is on. The only way it will let me access news or weather is if the stanby option is also on. Is anyone else experiencing this?

X2222 said:
The connection on my wii works fine and wii connect 24 is turned on (even the browser works. But... I can't access the news or weather channels unless i enable the standby mode. Why can't it just get its updates on demand and work without the possibility of standby mode. Is this an error? Is there a way to get around oit without turning standby on?

You should be able to go to the Channel and then click on the news and/or weather and it should download the latest update...are you saying that you cant access those channels at all unless you are in standby mode? (ok you are, late post) Have you done the update by going into the settings area and choosing to download the updates?

Yup, the internet browswer on the wii is the only thing that works when standby mode is turned off. The wii just won't connect to any of the channels (news, weather, store) if standby mode is not selected on. It will just say it cant connect because wii connect 24 is turned off when its actually on. Turning on standby mode solves this. I dont get it. Is anyone else having this problem who isnt using the standby mode?

I'm having the same problem matey. I've seen other people discussing it also - so we're not alone. My weather and news channels wont connect unless connect24 standby mode turned on - all the other ones work fine. Its annoying because i'd rather leave standby mode off (to save electricity), but then i have to go through the menus and turn it on and off everytime i want to use the news and weather channels. I presume it'll be fixed in a future update.

If you turn your Wii console off, nothing is happening inside the machine. So it wouldn't matter if you had the WiiConnect24 settings turned on, because there would be no power going through the machine for it to pick up the wireless signal and do the work.

You need the console on standby so that it can do its thing and receive updates and whatnot.

You see with stand by active the Wii can download the latest news at any given minute. With it off, it needs to refresh. Otherwise the alternative is it leaving recent data archived on your hard drive, maxing it out in a short amount of time. Perhaps...

Sorry guys, we probably arent explaining what we mean properly. When you press the power button on your wii and turn it off, it all shuts down and you get an orange light on the front. This means you're still able to download updates, messages etc. But if you have the connect24 standby mode turned off, when you press the power button on your will it turns off just the same, but you have a red light on the front, which means the system will not download updates etc.

But the point is that either way, when the wii is turned on again it should be able to connect to all the services. But if you're a red-light person it will refuse to connect to the news and weather at all, even though all the other services (internet, vote channel) will.

Hope that's a bit clearer.

Any news/update/fix on this? I have exact same problem :mad:

Having the same problem too! Doesnt bother me anyway as i just use internet channel to get news and weather of BBC.

I have noticed this as well...changing your router/connection settings has nothing to do with it,it's a problem within the Wii itself.

tanooki said:
I have noticed this as well...changing your router/connection settings has nothing to do with it,it's a problem within the Wii itself.

Changing the channel can help.

Back