Why Hasn't This Happened Yet?

rjatkinson said:
I think Nintendo should offer Online Storage. With a one time payment for certain limits, the company could allow wii owner the luxury of worry-free downloading and the hassle of "I don't have to re-download/delete it".

Point made.

So you want Nintendo to set up a system in which we can play games online? So, rather than having to download games and DLC to play/use them, we can just do it online?

I'm sorry, but that just does not work.

Say I want to use some DLC song packs for GH3. How would that work?

Sure, they could probably get away with online versions of old NES games. But then you'll have to sit through long loads. It'll just end up being a huge hassle for everyone, whereas a HDD would be more convenient for EVERYONE, Nintendo included.

Atomheart said:
So you want Nintendo to set up a system in which we can play games online? So, rather than having to download games and DLC to play/use them, we can just do it online?

I'm sorry, but that just does not work.

Say I want to use some DLC song packs for GH3. How would that work?

Sure, they could probably get away with online versions of old NES games. But then you'll have to sit through long loads. It'll just end up being a huge hassle for everyone, whereas a HDD would be more convenient for EVERYONE, Nintendo included.

DLC song packs would work like any other online storage content. That content would be streamed to the Wii as needed (or preferably just-before needed). I'm not saying I'm a fan of the idea but most of the people using the Wii's internet connection have some sort of broadband and could handle some decent bandwidth.

Back to the main point though, Nintendo hardware exists to sell Nintendo software. The third party sales are a nice plus and Nintendo may go out of their way on occasion to get that third party support but they're not designing hardware (or even firmware) around it. When Nintendo has a project that requires the kind of storage you can only get from a disk drive, you'll see support for a disk drive. And not until then. They don't plan their hardware any further out than their software takes them.

@OP-:worship::worship::worship:

COLDshiver said:
Lol @ the online storage. It's already there, in a way. When you buy a VC game, you can download it. If you delete it, you can download it from their servers again since you bought it, basically acting as a online storage for VC games. That's the problem. If you don't have the space on your Wii and if the VC game you want to play at the time is not on your Wii, you must delete another game to find space and then you must download it.

Also, if you don't have access to the internet, you won't be able to buy VC games in the first place.

But I do sense an external hard drive in the future, however far away. 512mb is definitely not going to cut it and Ninty must give some options for heavy VC customers.
The online method could work but i what happens but its a pain to download them back what happens when wiiwares comes out

Atomheart said:
What a terrible article.

How exactly did he "bust the myth" of Nintendo withholding production? I'm not saying that Nintendo is doing so. It doesn't matter here. But his conclusion does not follow his premises. In other words, just because Nintendo is selling tons of Wiis, that is no evidence that they aren't withholding production.

Regardless, that's not important here. What is important, though, is that this guy has absolutely no credibility.

The bleeped out profanity doesn't help either.

totaly agree, he's just stating an already over stated fact, if he's so fed-up he should just make his own and get nintendo to let him use it

I always thought it would be simple and accessible as hell to just add thumb drive support. Their small, sleek and easy to install. I mean, Nintendo spent money to have 2 USB 2.0 drives in their system and really, what have they been used for??

I completely understand Nintendo is against piracy so if that's the case why don't they just produce their own thumb drives to prevent any other use? I'm not a computer nerd but as far as I know thumb drives could store 2GB of data and possibly more by now.

Well, #1 i'm a complete retard on learning the "how to's" of the Wii, i can't even get the damn thing online, and i have no clue how to download my favorite N64 games.

for that y even use a thumb drive when u can use an sd card
they do have 16gb sd cards
thats enough for just a quick switch if i needed more
ninty should allow to play roms and have a display pages to read straight off an sd card

and why doesnt wii suport mp3's and mpg's

jimbo said:
totaly agree, he's just stating an already over stated fact, if he's so fed-up he should just make his own and get nintendo to let him use it

Well said, as was Atomheart's post.

illmasaki said:
for that y even use a thumb drive when u can use an sd card
they do have 16gb sd cards
thats enough for just a quick switch if i needed more
ninty should allow to play roms and have a display pages to read straight off an sd card

That's pretty much what I meant with the thumb drive. It would just be an addition to internal memory. As far as SD cards go, right now they aren't doing this. And the Nintendo Wii only accepts SD cards as high as 2gb. I don't care what they do just as long as they give you the option to add to the INTERNAL memory.

Back