Why this old gamer is excited about the Wii

hobbesy

WiiChat Member
Nov 10, 2006
I'm a 30 year old gamer who has owned every single system under the sun and all of a sudden the Wii has snuck up and become the first system I've been really jazzed about in quite awhile. I still haven't bought the 360 even after having the box in my hands a few times. The graphics look GREAT, but there just aren't any titles out there that I'm dying to play. Maybe Forza will do it. Something where realism and immersion really make a difference.

Some people might take this the wrong way, but a big part of my excitement is because I really think my 5 year old daughter is going to be able to play and enjoy some of these games with me. I've tried to get her involved in what I thought were some simple games before and the controller esp the need to memorize the button layout has been a huge hurdle. I think many current designers..... and players, seem to equate complexity with quality. The Wii controller just looks like it's going to be so intuitive and simple.

Then throw on top of that the number of launch and early release titles that look like something we both could enjoy together. Elebits hide 'n' seek and manipulation looks absolutely perfect. Mini games are great so you've got Wii Sports, Rayman, Monkey Ball (she's excited about after I showed her the trailer), Smooth Moves, Wii Play, and Mario Party. Quite a few children's titles coming out too, but might not turn out that any are actually playable by anyone as young as five and probably more taking turns type games instead of something we'd be using the system to interact with each other like the above titles.

That's 7 titles!!! I don't see one single title other than Rayman in a list three times as long from the PS3, and the lack of the Wiimote would knock it off my list even though it's the same game.

Which brings me to the other reason I'm jazzed about the Wii. I have played every single game coming out on the PS3 and 360 a hundred times before. The industry is stagnant. If nothing else giving designers a slightly different means of interacting with the system should mean some creative new games to play.

So I think it might be, compared to the competition, more a system geared towards (or maybe allowing them to be involved is a better way of saying it) younger players, but is that a bad thing?

Nope :) That's nintendos goal, to target more than just the gaming audience and all ages :)

and I think your excitement for the wii just being able to share an experience with your kid that you've enjoyed your whole life is was Nintendo wanted as well...

Rift said:
and I think your excitement for the wii just being able to share an experience with your kid that you've enjoyed your whole life is was Nintendo wanted as well...

Exactly. This is a huge aspect of Wii that I'm sure a lot of gamers are looking forward to. I myself am really excited because It's finally a system that will be incredible when playing with other people. I've had this problem before when trying to play with my little sister because she's not as advanced as I am with the standard button layouts of standard controllers (she's 8). Im really looking forward to the Wii because it will be a system that is exciting to play and easier for everyone, not just hardcore gamers.

However, I don't think that the Wii is a "kiddie" system at all. Sure, there are a lot of games that are family oriented and fun for younger gamers, but most can easily be enjoyed by all age groups. Wii also has its share of games more oriented towards more mature gamers such as Red Steel, to name one. Red Steel is a FPS situated around the Yakuza (basically the Japanese Mafia). Nothing really child aimed with this title.
So I think the Wii is hitting all sides of the gaming industry....innovative and mroe fun ways to play, more fun to play with others, and titles that can be enjoyed by all age groups. Not to mention all of the aspects of the console itself, such as the Channels, Miis, etc.
The Wii is just offering so much, and for a fraction of the cost of the other two next gen consoles. Definitely number one my list. :yesnod:

Great write up, I totally agree! Sony wants market share, and in order to upgrade the market to what they want the new standard of high def to be, blu ray must hit shelves with a bang... and guess what, the unfortunate part is that it will, regardless of the absurd cost. Sure the graphics engine is way ahead of the competitors, but are we staring at the details or playing the game? When both come into play, it becomes a good system in my eyes.

Back