Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanquish23

Supahstar
May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Wii Online Code
8617-4848-0755-6983
Hello everyone, I've been reading the forums and fantastic articles on this website for some time now, while remaining a silent spectator. I've decided to join the voice of the community and offer some of my thoughts.

This thread is about why I have lost enthusiasm for the Wii system, and considered it a mistake to purchase the system. Hopefully you guys can hear me out and perhaps offer some input that'll prove that the Wii, is, in fact, the superior system to purchase, which I believe it is not.

I purchased the Wii back in early May, along with WiiSports and the Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. This wasn't my first time playing the Wii, I had played it much earlier and had already given Wii Sports a try with my friends. Despite being a huge Nintendo supporter, I found WiiSports to be quite dull. The motion-sensored gimmick of whacking the ball in Tennis felt very slow. I was a senior in college at the time, and me and the guys could hardly sustain an hour's worth of decent, fun playing on that game. My personal favorite is bowling, but the graphics admittedly grew too plain, and the motion-control, for me, did NOT compensate. The game was too simple, too easy, and just had a lame presentation. So at that time, I was nonchalant about the Wii.

I purchased the Wii weeks later, simply because I am a huge Zelda fan and a great package deal from CostCo was pretty much knocking at my doorstep. I knew that Wii's were hard to find and I had some extra cash lying around. It was a pretty spontaneous decision, and within an hour I had a Wii in my possession.

Legend of Zelda: TP did not blow me away as Legend of Zelda: OoT had done back in the day, but it was still an amazing game. The sheer length, size, and artistic presentation of the game captured me for many nights. I clocked in about 48 hours, nabbing every Heart, every bug, and every weapon upgrade available, whilst defeating the Cave of Ordeals once. So I certainly held an appreciation for the game.

But what else lay out there for me to play? I scoured IGN and Gamespot for the best Wii games available that would appeal to me. I was looking for some mature-themed, adventure-oriented, or extremely puzzle-like challenging games that would be rewarding for me. I found most of the ratings of Wii games to be dismal. Casting VC titles aside, the only game to be rated a 9.0 or above was Zelda:TP. So looking at the next tier of games, I saw a bunch of wacky, cartoony games that would have me undoubtedly looking like a maniac, waving my arms and hands around alone. Yeah, these days after having graduated college, I no longer have that luxury of having a strong gaming community in my proximity. And all of these Wii titles were a bunch of multiplayer-oriented titles with lame graphics, all without oNLIne-play, which was a huge disappointment.

All in all, I am possibly considering the purchase of Scarface Wii, which scored a decent 8.5, but there appears to be no other game that even comes remotely close to being considered a real gem, except for the child-oriented Super Paper Mario, and Rayman Raving Rabbids, which looks interesting. (Sorry, but the sight of Wario just makes me feel like a moron for interacting with such a weird twit).

I mean, let's face it. What is so dam exciting about the Wii? Am I just missing something here? Aside from Zelda: TP, I browse the Wii rentals at Blockbuster and just shake my head in disgust. I eventually rented Dragonball Budokai Tenkaichi 2 (a third of the games were ports from old consoles), and the Wii controls were very clunky and unnatural, so I ended up switching to a GC controller. I tell you, the Wii library is extremely crappy right now, making me feel as if I should have just held off on video games, with a PC game here or there, (Starcraft 2 anyone?).

I try to make the best use of my Wii. I read WiiNews headlines and voted multiple times on the Everybody Votes channel. But it was obvious I was trying to get more out of what the system was really giving me. I have a laptop with a keyboard & mouse, with a much faster internet and interface for that kind of crap. I downloaded 3 VC titles which breathed a few more days of life into the dam thing (Link to the Past is pretty awesome, but Gradius III and Gunstar Heroes were a waste).

But right now, my Wii is slowly, but surely dusting away on a table in my family room, just waiting... waiting... for some decent games to arrive... preferably with online play capabilities... I figure there are just two games announced that can save me from whacking myself on the head for purchasing this pretty-lookin', under-performin' console....

Metroid 3

and

Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Can't say I blame you. I haven't played a Wii game for almost four months now. I was expecting at least one new big hitter by now, but all we've had so far (apart from Zelda) is a ton of party games and ports. Where's the 'revolution' the console's codename promised? I know new consoles take a little while to find their feet, but it's been six months now and we've got nothing. Not even confirmed dates for upcoming games.

I agree with some of what you said, especially about some of the second rate games available. The main problem I think is that the console was made available before many developers had had time to cater for it, plus a lot of running series already had homes on the Xbox and PS2, which would carry on onto the PS3. Only now are the developers beginning to develop games with the Wii's controls in mind and convert existing games for use with the Wii's unique controls.

I think you should maybe re evaluate your opinion of the Wii in a few months time when the summer releases have come out. If by then the likes of RE:4, RE: UC and the Mario releases aren't for you, then fine, atleast then you can say you gave the console a chance. I'll admit most of the available games at the moment aren't my thing either!

As for the Wii Sports responsiveness and speed I've no complaints, and I really go for it on the tennis!

I hate threads like this because it makes me feel like a freak...:(

I play the Wii everyother day at least usually...I own more games for it than I do for my other (older) system and there are plenty I want, granted none of said titles are exactly chart busters.

If I'm not playing a Wii game (Which I usually am, I still run around in Zelda even though I have completed it, which is new for me) then I'm on a Gamecube game...Tales of Symphonia is what I've been playing alot lately.

Also theres my Virtual Console games (granted I only have like 4) which I play alot.

But yeah, I hope you start to enjoy more soon :)

I can understand where you're coming from. I think the biggest mistake people make though is counting wii sports as a game. I believe wii sports should not be in any way considered more than a type of demo to motion controls. It allows you to get used to playing a game using motion.

That said Zelda:TP was by far my favorite Zelda game and I loved it. I own quite a few wii games myself and have traded a few back, I regretted a couple of the purchases. Excite truck was fun for me until I beat it. I hate leaving a game unbeat. Once you get to the mirror courses though you are probably good enough at it that it no longer presents a challenge. DBZ I thought was great... until I beat it, no replay value there either. I could go through all the games i own and probably say "Great game, no replay value". It is a little saddening.

All is not without hope though. The Wii still has great potential in my opinion. If Mario Kart, Mario Galaxy, Smash Brothers Brawl, Metroid, Strikers(in the us) all had come out I think I'd be satisfied for a long time. I've never had a system where i loved more than a handful games anyway, I usually hang onto systems for just one game. I hope thats not the case with the Wii, I hope they keep their strong titles that have a history but I hope they can come out with some new ones to keep us interested. Right now I do not regret my wii purchases but if they continue to just reinvent the wheel (even if it does steer differently) I may regret it too.

WillC2105 said:
I can understand where you're coming from. I think the biggest mistake people make though is counting wii sports as a game. I believe wii sports should not be in any way considered more than a type of demo to motion controls. It allows you to get used to playing a game using motion.

That said Zelda:TP was by far my favorite Zelda game and I loved it. I own quite a few wii games myself and have traded a few back, I regretted a couple of the purchases. Excite truck was fun for me until I beat it. I hate leaving a game unbeat. Once you get to the mirror courses though you are probably good enough at it that it no longer presents a challenge. DBZ I thought was great... until I beat it, no replay value there either. I could go through all the games i own and probably say "Great game, no replay value". It is a little saddening.

All is not without hope though. The Wii still has great potential in my opinion. If Mario Kart, Mario Galaxy, Smash Brothers Brawl, Metroid, Strikers(in the us) all had come out I think I'd be satisfied for a long time. I've never had a system where i loved more than a handful games anyway, I usually hang onto systems for just one game. I hope thats not the case with the Wii, I hope they keep their strong titles that have a history but I hope they can come out with some new ones to keep us interested. Right now I do not regret my wii purchases but if they continue to just reinvent the wheel (even if it does steer differently) I may regret it too.
wii sports is actually a full game cause it is sold separately in other areas of the world, and people do buy it, its just a lower budget game you could say. THAT being said, the reason i believe he mentions wii sports is because that is the game that really hooks you at first to the wii and makes you think it is all cool and great, but then gets boring

pleast note....i tend to ramble on

i play my wii a lot, but here's how i work

i bought the wii, played wii sports for a bit, bought zelda, made it to after the zora temple than i bought sonic an dthe secret rings, i got onto the third map/world, then i bought warioware, i beat the game in one day, then i went to super monkey ball banana blitz, go o the 4th world(it's a game where i find it much better playing single mode witha friend; taking turns) then...okayt i'm going to stop here basically same pattern but inclusion of vc games, spider-man 3, mario party 8 and excite truck

all in all, our of my 7 o r8 games i was sorta dissapointed in all of them, as i had higher expecations, the only three that has passes that was warioware: smooth moves, zelda na dpaper mario(forgot to mention that,,,oh well) but i still like all of them and owuld play them if i had the time

now this wouldn't work for someone that get's money from their parents or someone that is always late to pay rent but i suggest you do what i do and buy plenty of games, instead of beating one and buying another, that way your never bored of it, and your enthusiasm for it is all good an dwhat not

oh and wii sports dosn't get boring if you try to get your skill level to 1000 in all five sports(allthough that's probably impossible)

Its not impossible to get to 1000 in all of them. I got to 1000 in tennis, golf, bowling, and boxing no problem. I cant stand the baseball.

i can also somewhat agree

My wii has been collecting dust the last month. i cant say its because i am bored of it. I have had a lot of Huge tests since im in the end of my junior year ( Regents, SATS, Finals) so i havent had time to play so my wii has been unplugged. But when i do play, i play madden. Zelda i have stopped playing but will praobably start playing again in the summer. but your right with the games. Other companies throw out these games and assuming that we will buy them and love them. They dont understand we want solid games with good controls. The next game i buy will be THE BIGS coming out next week the 25th.. I cant say my wii is boring, but i would like more choices of games. Once i am done with school, i will be able to play it more considering i do enjoy it.so i cant say its unplugged b/c of the games.. But this summer i have a number of games coming out which we be a lot of fun
- THE BIGS
-Madden 08
-Mario Strikers
madden and strikers will be online.
so we are starting to go into a nice streak with good games. EA has proved they can work well with the wii.

( how should i wipe the dust off my wii? just a tissue and wipe??)

Wiitime, I believe The Bigs is online too :)

Thanks for the agreement, inputs, and responses guys.
I think we all have come to a general consensus that the line-up right now is pretty weak, but after about a half-year (which is a loooonnnggg time), the Wii should definitely vault up in terms of great games.

Hopefully, Strikers, Metroid, SSBB, etc. will allow this to happen.

As for wiping the dust off the Wii... I like to use a damp paper towel. Nothing fancy.

Jay61 said:
Wiitime, I believe The Bigs is online too :)

i wish.. but its not.. im 100% sure.. i have read it from other sites, i even contacted 2k several times and each time they said no the wii version does not have online... the other systems do or someof them... i was dissapointed. some sites said it did and it was misleading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back