Wii and Linksys routers

bgtmartin

WiiChat Member
Jan 30, 2009
I have a Linksys router that allows for wireless internet in the house. Mostly it is used by the laptops, but we want to connect the Wii. So we connected the Wii to the wireless connection. It accepts the SSID and WPA key and seems to connect just fine. We were able to browse the shopping channel, forecast, news, etc. Did not browse the internet since we have to buy that channel first.

BUT less than an hour of not browsing on the Wii the internet connection on the main desktop pc was unavailable. I had to reboot the pc and power down the router. :shocked:

Is there a current issue with Linksys routers and connecting to the Wii? Does it require a specific channel? I have read some forums that the issues seem to stem from the Wii Connect24.

Please advise as I don't want to have to reboot all the time. THanks

addt'l info

not sure if it is a factor but my ISP is Time Warner Cable....

no. see, Linksys is a somewhat crap connection for the wii. it will stop working occasionally without warning.
i know. i'm on the internet channel through a Linksys router right now.

my PS3 can't even link up to the router

I have a Linksys router (WRT54G) that has been running without one issue for almost a year now. Never lost my connection to the Wii, even when I replaced my PC and reconnected the router to the new PC.

unless you have a lot of things downloading and slowing down your internet, the wii connecting to the router SHOULD work fine. i notice if i'm doing a big download (like the CoD:WaW 1.1 patch), then the wii will not connect because of the pc taking up a big chunk of the bandwidth

when it happens again, try to pin-point the problem (wii, pc, router, cable modem/internet)

with your PC, try to connect to the router.
open internet explorer or firefox or whatever web browser you use
in the address bar put in "http://192.168.1.1" (without quotes)
if it asks for username and password, then your router is fine.

sometimes its good to have a pc hooked up hard line to the router to make sure it is working. i think the default setting for being able to connect to the routers settings is OFF.

make sure all the proper lights are lit on the cable modem.
if not, shut off/unplug everything
wait 1 min.
then turn on in this order:
cable modem (wait till it connects to internet)
router
pc

also try looking into MAC cloneing. cable USUALLY requires the correct MAC address to connect to the internet.

just trying to give you some ideas...

Last edited:
sorry for double post, but you wouldnt see it if i just edited my post.

which linksys router do you have??? which version is it???
i have a bricked WRT54G v5(used to be my girlfriends)
in all the reasearch i did last night while trying to fix this one, i found out that this exact one i have is the worst one out there. it has big problems with it's firmware.

linksys is far from bad. you do occasionally get a turd in the bunch..

We have a Linksys router and have had no problems. We have wireless laptops, 2 DirectTV hardcable connections, and 2 desktop pc's hardwire connections plus the one Wii. All our 5 connections are filled.

Back