Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Wii CMOS Battery Question - Repair Warranty

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Hardware' started by BiggNick, Apr 19, 2009.

1. BiggNick

BiggNick WiiChat Member

Hi guys, new to the forums.

I have to send back my console to Nintendo to get replaced (fauly mobo I think, just powers off/doesn't turn on, not adapter) but it IS covered by warranty, I already checked and printed out the shipping label/set up repair date.

I thought it was powering off because of the Lithium Ion battery being bad, so replaced it (sometimes works on computers). Now the battery tray won't screw back in and is loose. I'm using clear tape to keep it in the system. Does anyone think there will be a problem with the warranty over that? I know companies will find any reason not to pay for repairs sometimes, but this is a user-replaceable part.

Any ideas on it messing with the warranty, or anyone gone through the same thing? I'd like to know why it's not screwing in, but there is no way in hell I'm voiding that warranty! :mad2:

Thanks is advance.

2. bradleyd

bradleyd WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 0000-0000-0000-0000
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Relevant: IS MODIFIED OR TAMPERED WITH

Like with all electronic devices, your warranty is voided should you open it up. These are not PC's where each individual component falls under its own warranty, it is considered a whole.

Edit: I never actually noticed the part in the manual about the battery cover. However, it does say not to remove it unless directed to do so by Nintendo support. You could be on the edge here regarding no trouble with your warranty and it may tip one way or the other.

Attached Files:

#2 bradleyd, Apr 19, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  3. bmw328

bmw328 WiiChat Member

there is a square nut inside the wii which will have dropped when u unscrewed the screw. It will be inside the wii.

4. jplay32

jplay32 WiiChat Member

yes!!! this is a fantastic revelation for me! i actually found the square nut lodged inside my disc drive, which was causing disc play failure. after disassembling the console down to the drive, and with a few turns, the nut popped out. i also found a small plastic piece about the size of the nut that i'm assuming should have held the nut in place -- any verification on that? anyway, i had no idea where the nut (or plastic piece) came from. and after reassembling, i soon ran into the predicament that the original poster ran into -- the battery casing would not screw back and hold into place. i now know that it requires the square nut. thanks for the revelation!

now, here's the million dollar question: how exactly do i get the nut back into place?