Wii from France

Wierd email from Nintendo UK

Dear Customer, thank you for your e-mail.

With regards to compatibility of Wii consoles throughout different regions, here is some information:

The UK Wii operates under a system known as PAL. The Wii console is region restricted, which means only PAL games would work on a UK Wii. Asian countries operate under NTSC, as do American countries. Because of this they would only play games from their particular region.

As for European countries, they all use PAL the same as UK, so because of this there is no issue in using a European Wii console to play UK games and the system should work fine. The only issue would be that you would require a travel adapter or a UK Wii power supply to power the unit correctly.

There is however an exception to the above, France operate under a system known as SECAM. Because of this we cannot guarantee that a French console would play PAL games.

As for warranty, we deal here with European warranty, so any console bought within Europe would have valid warranty with us here. An American console for example, would not.

If you require any other information, feel free to contact us.

I thought they were all PAL ???

A Wii purchased in France WILL work fine in the UK. All you need is a £3 plug adapter and you are away. (Yes, France uses SECAM but the Wii is PAL).

I just bought a Wii from Germany for my parents on eBay.
All you need is an adapter plug and the rest is the same as the Wiis in the UK.

Back