Wii Online???

LolygagerX

Wii Are Comeing
Sep 19, 2006
In a House
IS the Wii going to be online??? Like Multiplayer Metroid 3 or Red Steel?? i sure hope so, If you guys have an anser please show me a link or tell me.

What about other video games like Battalion Wars 2?? and hey why would'nt Red Steel be online?!?!? If its not im gonna die..(Then Revive myself to play it anyways lol)

Battallion Wars II will have online multiplayer ;)

Go to the official Wii site (www.wii.com) and look at BWII, in the bullets they say they'll have intense multiplayer action

COLDshiver said:
Battallion Wars II will have online multiplayer ;)

Go to the official Wii site (www.wii.com) and look at BWII, in the bullets they say they'll have intense multiplayer action
yeah that one will be but i was talking about red steal lol sorry its my fault i didn't put enough info my bad

third party developers will not have access to the WIFI connection libraries till 2007, so only Nintendo and Nintendo affiliated games in 2006 will have online, of course if its January 2006 for third party online than its only like 1 1/2 months. chances are the game like red steel may get a patch for online play 2007 also, I have heard this kicked around quite a few times so chances are developers are looking into future online for games that don't have it now/when released.

You can expect that the majority of first party titles will feature an online component of some sort.

This does not necessarily mean that the games will be multiplayer in a traditional sense, but rather that they will sport some degree of online interaction, either via users and users(similar to a forum), users and the game(users can retrieve and share content made available to them), or the game and a server(via updates and patches).

In addition to Nintendo's willingness to bring online connectivity to the forefront with this console, it must also be noted that this will be the only console so far that does not require additional hardware or software to do so.

Furthermore, it's also Nintendo's first console since the NES to not have a mystery EXT port on the bottom of the system, so it's safe to say that everything that will ever be necessary is already in the box.

As for third party developers not having Nintendo's WiFi libraries, this is preposterous. The Wii SDK includes a full development library for software authoring, which includes all documentation on the hardware and software that the Wii is based on.

The only indication given to third party developers is that Nintendo has yet to determine how they plan to go about user interaction, whether it be via a "friend code" system or a Battle.Net-esque server in which players may connect to.

I have a feeling first party titles(especially those rated E) will feature friend codes, while third party developers may elect to host a community for players.

However, to clarify from a technical aspect, the way the Wii makes network connections is no different from the way a computer does. The TCP/IP and UDP stacks are identical on every piece of hardware that supports it, because it's a standardized layer in which networks congregate on.

Last edited:
Very nice information tegguy. As though you work for Nintendo :O. Thanks for letting us know how things will go down. What word do you have about 2nd party developers though, like Retro Studios? Will games like Metroid 3 have multiplayer online, since they are working in conjunction with Nintendo ? Or will they be in the same boat as the third party developers ?

LolygagerX said:
What about other video games like Battalion Wars 2?? and hey why would'nt Red Steel be online?!?!? If its not im gonna die..(Then Revive myself to play it anyways lol)

You should check out the official site. http://wii.nintendo.com/index.html

And, as far as I know, the online dev kit wont be released for Ubisoft (or any other 3rd party developer, for that matter) until 2007. And Red Steel will be coming out in 2006, when the Wii launches. :yesnod:

Back