Wii performance on a projector

JasonSuave

WiiChat Member
Nov 28, 2006
I tried hooking the wii up to a 106" screen, but I'm not getting adequate performance from the pointer. Has anyone else been able to get this type of setup to work?

It seems that the maximum screen size for the pointer/sensor bar is about 80" or less. If I have the sensor bar sitting below my 106" screen, and I point the remote in the middle of the screen, the cursor actually appears at the top of the screen.

I think you have to point the controller at the sensor bar and use that as the "zero point" instead of pointing at the screen. If you watch the tech demos of the Nintendo Reps playing on a projector, they aren't pointing at the screen, rather they are pointing down where the sensor bar is located.

That's what I was afraid of... The sensor bar draws a space above (or below) that is only about a 60-70" diagonal. If you point the remote into that space, the cursor on screen will react accordingly.

Unfortunately, you lost some of the experience if the cursor doesn't appear where you're pointing.

I just saw in another thread where you can replace the sensor bar with candles... one on each side of the screen should do it for you... Now that I have seen it work I am going to get a Wii... but more than likely not untill after christmas.

I was thinking the same as R_man_5k above. You could also created powered IR leds for the top or bottom corners. But because the Wiimote only sees these from the front/top of the Wiimote, the further apart they are the further back you would have to be.

You could also play with putting the sensor bar between you and the screen. Set it on a box or something in front of you. If you can line it up correctly it should read as if it was under the screen but you cut the diagnal down by moving it closer. I wish I could draw what I am saying because ethe more I think about it the more I think it will work.

-Bobby

Last edited:
Rough sketch of Wii + Huge Projection Concept

You could also play with putting the sensor bar between you and the screen. Set it on a box or something in front of you. If you can line it up correctly it should read as if it was under the screen but you cut the diagnal down by moving it closer. I wish I could draw what I am saying because the more I think about it the more I think it will work.

So I tried:

4i3fy14.jpg

That make sense? :tard:

-Bobby

Last edited:
Thanks for the illustration, Bobby! That definitely fixes the problem.

I'm also going to try spacing out the sensors (the original sensor has the 2 infareds about a foot apart - I'm going to try to put them 3 or 4 feet apart via separate infared sensors). My only concern is that the added distance between the sensors may affect the latency of the signal since there is more space to triangulate.

Ya, this fixes the triangulation problem with the wii sensor bar. Nice illuistration btw. The only problem that I've had on my projector is not being able to stand in front of it. I finally was able to raise the projector, and now there isn't a big shadow on the screen. Also, to fix the pointing, try to place the sonsor bar just a little out of the direct projector lights. The ambient light from the projector affects the infrared light given from the sensor bar. This helped me out a little on my projector. Just make sure that the sensor bar isn't too far out of the way of the screen.

Back