jason416

WiiChat Member
Feb 1, 2008
Wii Online Code
8204-3159-3293-3808
which one is more used
wide screen mode
or standard mode?

More people have 4:3 TVs than 16:9 still.

I think this was an "Everybody Votes" poll a while back.

Wide FTW HDTVs are getting so cheap now even for full 1080P sets so 720p sets should be crazy cheap. $1000. is not that much when you think about what you will get out of a tv Vs. other ways to spend a G

Last edited:
Pantalaimn said:
Wide FTW HDTVs are getting so cheap now even for full 1080P sets so 720p sets should be crazy cheap.
Define "so cheap" and "crazy cheap". What's currently on the market doesn't fit my definitions of those terms.

Then they will be obsolete as new tech such as SEDtv and Laser tv come out.
Umm, seriously? Come on. Those technologies are still at their earliest stages. The first laser TV isn't expected until almost the end of the year (which, realistically, probably means sometime next year or the year after) and will be an elitist gimmick product that costs a fortune.

LCD and plasma are not going to be "obsolete" anytime soon. Get real.

thanks guys
but HDTV cost like over $1000 on a store and i cnat afford that much...

jason416 said:
thanks guys
This basically backs up what I just said.

Of course, if you don't care that 720 lines, while better than standard-def's 480, is not quite full 1080 high-def, and you don't care about TV size, and you don't care about quality, you can get an "HDTV" on the cheap. Say $300 for a 19" widescreen 720p LCD "HDTV".

You're still missing out on a lot of the content on true HD content (Blu-Ray, etc), but it's certainly enough to handle the Wii which is only 480 lines anyway (or HD content over satellite/cable, which is only 720 lines and not 1080).

$1000 For a tv is totally in budget for more people than do they just choose to spend on other things. $3.00 a pack for cigarettes x 365 days a year =$1,095
Is just one example or buy the hummer or other big gas sucking or I gotta have 400 hp in my car to go the speed limit at 10 MPG. People piss away money on plenty of stupid stuff more than a Tv Screen.

OK I do retract my comment about laser and Sed tv.

Pantalaimn said:
$1000 For a tv is totally in budget for more people
I think I talk to more people than you. $1000 would be considered "a lot". You might have rich friends/family, but they are not representative of most of society. Most people want a TV under $500, since that's what they're used to paying for tube TVs.

It's not like I don't know people who've spent $2000+ on a TV but they are not the norm.

Pantalaimn said:
$1000 For a tv is totally in budget for more people than do they just choose to spend on other things. $3.00 a pack for cigarettes x 365 days a year =$1,095
OK I do retract my comment about laser and Sed tv.

what the hell ru talking about ?
cigarettes don't cost 3.00 a pack -_-
Its like 9~12 dollars.

jason416 said:
thanks guys

I got a small HDTV for like $300. Granted its only 15", but thats all I need because its in my room and I am only a few feet away from it.

Its got really high resolution. I hooked up a xbox360 and it had just as good, if not better, a picture than my friends widescreen hdtv.

Bigred said:
I got a small HDTV for like $300. Granted its only 15", but thats all I need because its in my room and I am only a few feet away from it.
Its got really high resolution.
No it doesn't. It's got 720 lines, which is "low" HD.

I hooked up a xbox360 and it had just as good, if not better, a picture than my friends widescreen hdtv.
Impossible. Your friend's HDTV is either 720p (same as yours) or 1080p (better than yours).

The only way yours would look better would be if your friends' was hooked up wrong (composite or S-Video cables resulting in a standard-def image on an HDTV) and yours was hooked up right (component cables, Wii set to 480p, etc).

Pantalaimn said:
Doubtful!
I just got back from Best Buy and I didn't A: see many CRT sets compared to the entire back wall filled with flat screens. B: no one at the registers buying Crt sets.
Your point?

I don't recall stating that someone buying a new TV wouldn't get a flat-panel. Of course that's all that's going to be on the shelves.

My point (which I stick to) is that most people have 4:3 already and one of the deterrents of upgrading is the cost. Another is that their existing 4:3 is still working just fine and they lack any real incentive to replace it.

My cars have been payed off for 8 years; yes I could trade it in for a new one with a payment each month + interest.. But it is fine and there is your money for a HDTV.
Well bully for you. But your anecdotal example of yourself has nothing to do with my point.

Back