Wii set to beat Microsoft's all time sales tally?

CantGetAWii

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2006
WiiChat
Wii Online Code
3099-0319-5478-2979
Microsoft has sold 17.7m Xbox 360 games consoles since the machine was introduced in late 2005, 4.3m of them since the beginning of October 2007, the company claimed yesterday.

That almost certainly means the Microsoft console has outsold Sony's PlayStation 3, though that machine only went on sale a year after the Xbox 360 did. That's true of the Nintendo Wii too, but we'd expect the Wii to have surpassed the Xbox 360's total.

According to the Reuters newsagency, Nintendo had shipped 13.2m Wiis worldwide by the end of September 2007, just under the 13.4m Xbox 360s sold to date at that point.

To beat the 360, Nintendo will have had to have sold more than 4.5m Wiis. Unfortunately, US sales data for December 2007 isn't yet in, although according to market watcher NPD, Nintendo shipped 1.5m Wiis in the US in October and November.

Japanese Wii sales for those two months come to 1.34m units, according to publisher Enterbrain, and based on local market monitor Media Create's weekly December sales figures, you can add at least 0.6m to that figure, making 1.94m, rising to 3.44m when you add the US numbers.

Factor in European estimates and the number of consoles Nintendo is seems likely to have shipped in December, and the videogames pioneer should well have shipped more than 4.5m Wiis in the last three months of 2007.

Not bad for a machine that has a much lower spec than the 360 and PS3, and has been on sale for a shorter period. Only the infamous Wii famine might keep the 360 on top.

But to finish with the 360, Halo 3 went on sale late September 2007. Some 8.1m copies were sold up to the end of the year, Microsoft said. So it's not hard to see how the company sold 24.3 per cent of all the Xbox 360s it has ever sold in the same period as this much-anticipated title was on sale.

Source:
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/01/04/wii_to_beat_360/

I hadn't realized that Microsoft has sold that many consoles, I thought the number was a bit smaller than that.

U'd expect wii to win on sales anyway cus it appeals to all types of gamers.

lol......if you read more carefully, by saying "sold" Microsoft means "shipped" consoles or "sold" to shops......it's not the number of consoles sold to customers.....

that's how 17.7 m. consoles have been produced, and 16.03 m.consoles are sold to customers....so there are 1.67 m. consoles in shops, world wide...i hope i made it clearer now..... :p

also, the last weekly sale figures show that, the total mumber of Xbox360 sold worldwide (week ending 29th December) are less than the number of Wii sold only in Japan, at that week!!!

this makes the difference rise to about 3.5 million.....

source: vgchartz.com

also, wii has now the higher software sales......

*best selling game of the year 2007: Pokemon Diamond/Pearl

*Game of the Year 2007: Super Mario Galaxy

this shows that Nintendo is on the top right now, xbox360 slowly is pushed backwards and ps3 sales start to increase, to beat xbox360....

(lol....just a quick view of 2007 sales and so on)

Last edited:
yes i think its already decided that the wii is going to win becuz lets face it...if it has already sold more units then the xbox 360 in one year then its going to beat it cuz they can sell the same amount of consoles as 2007.
1. Wii
2. 360
3. PS3 hopefully will rise nd beat 360 though

really need to stop this its getting real old. As a gamer who really cares how many consoles are sold? you should be caring when you are going to get some better games, for what ever system you own. The wii is 250 bucks who is not going to buy it? Like i have always said you drop the other two consoles down to that price from start and the sales numbers will be a lot closer than they are now.

yungblood6 said:
Like i have always said you drop the other two consoles down to that price from start and the sales numbers will be a lot closer than they are now.

And if you gave all three systems the same graphics card, hardware, and price then.... well, Wii would still have the controls that the other two don't have and appeal for the non-traditional gamer.

lenitao3 said:
lol......if you read more carefully, by saying "sold" Microsoft means "shipped" consoles or "sold" to shops......it's not the number of consoles sold to customers.....

that's how 17.7 m. consoles have been produced, and 16.03 m.consoles are sold to customers....so there are 1.67 m. consoles in shops, world wide...i hope i made it clearer now..... :p

also, the last weekly sale figures show that, the total mumber of Xbox360 sold worldwide (week ending 29th December) are less than the number of Wii sold only in Japan, at that week!!!

this makes the difference rise to about 3.5 million.....

source: vgchartz.com

also, wii has now the higher software sales......

*best selling game of the year 2007: Pokemon Diamond/Pearl

*Game of the Year 2007: Super Mario Galaxy

this shows that Nintendo is on the top right now, xbox360 slowly is pushed backwards and ps3 sales start to increase, to beat xbox360....

(lol....just a quick view of 2007 sales and so on)
i think you need to check your stats on the software side because the wii software is not on top, the ds maybe but the wii is not close, second yes mario galaxy is a great game and contender for game of the year but it hasnt sold that great.(still trying to figure that out) even after christmass it hasnt sold that well.

You would think that with all these wii's that are out there in homes that that game wich is nintendos trademark charector would have sold at least half of what the number of consoles out there are. Which is another topic that is being talked about in the industry as to what is realy being sold on the wii. Its a sad day for gaming when games like wii play and other mini games are out selling quality titles like galaxy. One article said they don't think the majority of wii owners are buying wii games at all.

Hell when Adam Sesslar has to tell you to buy galaxy, and other games then you know somthing is wrong he is a big fan of the wii.

Last edited:
yungblood6 said:
i think you need to check your stats on the software side because the wii software is not on top, the ds maybe but the wii is not close, second yes mario galaxy is a great game and contender for game of the year but it hasnt sold that great.(still trying to figure that out) even after christmass it hasnt sold that well.

You would think that with all these wii's that are out there in homes that that game wich is nintendos trademark charector would have sold at least half of what the number of consoles out there are. Which is another topic that is being talked about in the industry as to what is realy being sold on the wii. Its a sad day for gaming when games like wii play and other mini games are out selling quality titles like galaxy. One article said they don't think the majority of wii owners are buying wii games at all.

Hell when Adam Sesslar has to tell you to buy galaxy, and other games then you know somthing is wrong he is a big fan of the wii.

i mean it's on the top between the 3 home consoles....

i was talking about sales, when i said "game of the year", it was about the awards of the gaming sites.....not sales.....
it sold 4 million and still selling (top5)how much do you want to say "sold well"

games that are fun are selling the most like "Mario Party 8", could have been the worst ever on other consoles, but rocks on wii....still love it, even if childish

wii might be selling more because of the price but less because of the graphics (which are okay in opinion)

the other 2 might be selling less because of price and more because of graphics.....

lol....it's been a long story with these console sales......i think Wii is going to win...nothing can stop it now, it's so popular and great titles coming....#

*remember that Nintendo "dropped" the graphics, to "drop" the price, which seems to be working....

LoganSix said:
And if you gave all three systems the same graphics card, hardware, and price then.... well, Wii would still have the controls that the other two don't have and appeal for the non-traditional gamer.
true but at the same time just think about it its not a whole lot of use being put into the cotrolls of the wii games as of late. Most of them are so weak in that department they have to give you the option to go back to the gc controller.(defeats the whole purpose of buying a wii)

Yes nintendo brings out the best in the wii games, but you have to think how much longer will they put there all into games when the games that show no effort to make are outselling them? as of right now there is not even a game out there on nintindeo that is worthy enough to outsell galaxy.(why nintendo fans arent you buying this game?)

Then if you take away the controlls and give them the option to use gc or classic controller what was the real point in getting a wii then? What makes the wii so great is THE CONTROLS you take that away and its just another mediocre console.(game cube) By taking away the controlls and giving that other opiton is playing into the fact that the wiimote and nunchuck are just gimmicks ( i don't think so) but thats just the truth.

What im trying to say is stop buying , and supporting those games that give you that option,(leave that for the vc) and buy the games that make use of what the wii is about. THE CONTROLS. Because if im correct thats what made you want to buy a wii in the first place.

If if if.... the point is: The XBox and PS3 do cost more than the Wii. The Wii is profitable at it's price point. The Wii does have an advantage because of the controls. And most importantly the Wii is outselling the Xbox and PS3 at a 2 to 1 and 4 to 1 ratio.

Back