Wii wifi probs

Gwarzilla

WiiChat Member
Jan 24, 2008
Hey I recently had to reconfigure the wireless signal from my router from WPA to WEP after purchasing a new wireless card for my computer. After this switch I can't seem to get my wii back online. Is this signal shift the cause? If so, is there anything I can do to get my machine back online short of purchasing a USB wired adapter? I just bought brawl and would like to get online for some matches. Thanks a bunch

You need to configure your Wii to use your new WEP key instead of your old WPA key.

good stuff. How do I go about doing this though? I gave the menu a good couple overs, but couldn't find the area to switch.

First of all, WPA -> WEP is a huge downgrade. WEP is virtually useless as security at this point. I could break into your network very quickly.

Considering you say you bought a new card, that should've been no reason to downgrade your network to old security. A new card should not only support WPA but even WPA2 which is even better.

That said, WEP keys are more of a pain to enter since the spec requires entering the whole exact jumble of hex codes.

My suggestion: return the card you just bought that it causing you all these problems. You're screwing yourself by using it. Exchange it for a card that at least supports WPA (if not WPA2, but that's only useful if your router also supports WPA2). Then you'll have an easier setup and be back in-business.

My Card Supports WPA but my computer does not because it is too old, or that's what the tech support told me when I couldn't connect with my comp

Gwarzilla said:
My Card Supports WPA but my computer does not because it is too old, or that's what the tech support told me when I couldn't connect with my comp
That doesn't make any sense. It's entirely an issue of the card and the drivers that go with it.

If the card used by your computer supports WPA, then your computer supports WPA. If your card doesn't, a new card can be had for cheap. A lot cheaper than letting someone else use your wifi because you didn't secure it.

Fire your "tech support".

That's what the guy on the phone said

It's a brand new card and I installed the drivers myself. My computer was able to recognize the signal but unable to connect to it. So when i called tech support they told me to change the signal to WEp and that computer was too old to connect to WPA. So that's why it is the way it is. As for security I live in a pretty nice neighborhood at the moment and everyone here is older like 60+ or families with younger kids. No one who would want to pirate my internet. So that's not a real concern.

Gwarzilla said:
It's a brand new card and I installed the drivers myself. My computer was able to recognize the signal but unable to connect to it. So when i called tech support they told me to change the signal to WEp and that computer was too old to connect to WPA. So that's why it is the way it is. As for security I live in a pretty nice neighborhood at the moment and everyone here is older like 60+ or families with younger kids. No one who would want to pirate my internet. So that's not a real concern.
I think we all know what happens when you assume, what you really have to worry about are wardrivers.

Gwarzilla said:
i called tech support they told me to change the signal to WEp and that computer was too old to connect to WPA.
If your card supports WPA, then your computer can support WPA. Period. Your "tech support" guy was feeding you bullshit. He just wanted to get you off the phone, so he took the easy way out and made up a reason to justify it.

As for security I live in a pretty nice neighborhood at the moment and everyone here is older like 60+ or families with younger kids. No one who would want to pirate my internet. So that's not a real concern.
Actually, you should be very concerned. 60+ year-old couples have kids of the exact age to be terrified of. Kids who bring their laptops and want some free online when visiting the parents/grandparents and are rather annoyed that their old parents/grandparents don't have high-speed wireless of their own already. Making them very determined to use whatever "l33t hacking skillz" they learned from their college friends to get online.

WEP is like securing your bike with a ziptie.

Back