Wii's Momentum To Last Until Ps3 is Under $300?

CantGetAWii

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2006
WiiChat
Wii Online Code
3099-0319-5478-2979
Sonycowboy on NeoGaf (who brought you the latest NPD numbers), quotes a few key statements in an interview that EGM had with Michael Pachter, in the current issue out in newstands.

"I think the Wii momentum will last until the Playstation 3 is under $300, so another year"

"2008 is definitely Sony's year. And I'd throw Grand Theft Auto IV into the mix, given that it's considered a PS2 owner's [franchise]. Also, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue should sell some consoles.."

"I think Microsoft's first party lineup is weakning, but I think that exclusives like Splinter Cell: Conviction will keep them going for another year. They also have the resources to sign third party exclusives."'

-From Decision 08 article in this month's EGM

Source:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9369636&postcount=1

hopefully the ps3 drops to $300 soon like in like 6 months cuz i'll buy it then but $400 is to much for me. so im one of those people who wont buy a ps3 cuz of price. so i think if they lowered it to $300 the sales would get a much needed boost

maybe but with super smash bros coming out soon i think it will be getting more moumentoim

well they havent made profit off ps3 consoles for a while nd now i think they are cuz the production cost has went down. but after a while im sure they will lower it to $300. they still get profits from games and the more consoles sold the more games are bought. so lowering the price can be good for them because they can sell more consoles.

When the ps3 finnaly drops to 300 bucks it will sell better no doubt... but they are gonna keep loosing more and more money with these price drops this quickly into the system launch, but i heard rumor of a 300 price tag by next Christams...

Still the wii and 360 can match any price drop thrown at them by Ps3... they will be down to the 150- 99 dollar mark sooner than ps3 hits the 199 mark, and atleast they can afford to do it.
Even with a price drop, i doubt it will be enough to scoop up any real leftovers of the "casual" market... its just going to make Sonys fans happier nothing more... they will be playing catch up untill next gen comes out...

Last edited:
Sony has enough money (not to complement them) PS2 did well even though I didn't really like it, so they have money from that. Also Sony makes stuff other than video games that I am sure of. They are desperate enough to take money from there other areas so a price drop couldn't hurt them that much but the PS3 will always stink no matter what they do.:lol:

I will admit that, if the best came out for $300 I would have bought that and probably not think of getting a wii till next year. They said they are making a cheaper version of it soon so we'll see, I am planning on getting a 360 soon so if the ps3 comes at a cheaper price this year then I will definetly get it for either my b-day or chirstmas.

laderer5 said:
But if they drop it too much they wont be making much profit.
The PS3 has never made a profit. I don't think Sony's game division has ever made a profit. Nor has Microsoft's XBox division.

And the Wii will lose momentum the day that Zelda and Mario games are available on the Playstation.

i dont doubt wiis momentum will last another year. i can see wiis becoming more available near the end of the year.

400$ is a good price for the PS3 in my opinion. pretty soon Blu-ray players will have to come down in price to keep up with the PS3. no ones going to buy a stand alone player for 600 bucks if the PS3 is only 3.

If PS3 price drops, the 360 will drop its price no doubt. They wont let their advantage of PS3 slip. Microsoft is too smart of a company. I dont think Nintendo needs to do anything. $250 is cheap enough for a long time. Then again Senses could be right. They may have to end up dropping price to $200 to keep the people who havent bought it yet interested.

Nintendo won't drop the price to $200 until they improve manufacturing methods so they're making them that much cheaper. Nintendo has a habit of actually liking to make money. They sort of have to, since unlike Sony and Microsoft they don't have a myriad of other businesses to prop up a money-losing division.

But until the Wiis aren't flying off the shelves and still getting wait-lists, Nintendo has zero incentive to drop the price.

All consoles have there price tag's that get great sales... they usually try to hold off these spikes for each christmas season after launch to keep sales at a steady pace...

im sure they will all eventually hit these price marks over the years, all Sony would do by dropping there price is force the other 2 systems to follow suit by beating it...
But untill it gets to the same price level as a Wii/360 its not going to get the edge based on price... There best bet is to market it more to HDTV owners not just gamers at this point... Most the "Hardcore fans" already have a ps3, they need a better marketing idea then just constant price drops that they will never win at...

Last edited:
Back