Wii's Momentum To Last Until Ps3 is Under $300?

I dont think either console will be droppin price..

Playstation is kickin themselves in the a$$ right now for lowering it to 400. They arent makin anything off it. Everything they have in that console is just insane and they would be insane to lower the price again.

Nintendo isnt gonna lower it either. they already blew the comp out the water and already surpassed wat they thought they were gonna do in sales. Hench the reason for the shortage of Wii's.

And lets say just for the sake of sayin Playstation does drop price Nintendo wont follow cuz 1 they will still be cheaper and 2 they already have a huge following from people that never picked up a controller before and they also have the biggest advange of them all which is word of mouth.

What is funny is that a rumor like this will actually hurt FF and metal gear sales due to the fact that people will wait for this $300 drop to buy the system now. This by it self could help secure the Wii momentum because the casuals are having fun and the retro player will keep buying stuff while the hardcore make up their minds.

The only people waiting on momentum and any sign of life out of the PS3 are the current owners. Right now they are still hoping people join them yet that is not a promise because all hardcore games can not afford the system.

The 300 thing is true. 50 dollars away from the Wii and we are talking about the non gimped versions here because no one wants a substandard product when we all know that the real version is still 400-500 dollars.

Every one is waiting on the momentum to stop. It's just a different way of saying it's a fad. Seriously it's going to get worst! COD4 among other games really are the best that most third parties can do. I'm not sure such killer apps will work out too well unless gamers actually have the funds to buy these systems.

then on top of that the blueray thing really has shot sony in the foot. People are buying more movies for the PS3 than games because guess what games still can not compare with movies in high end living room set ups. The games that are coming out are even seen as juvenile to most grow ups.

The blue ray hurt sony in the beginning with price and now it is hurting them in attachment rates WOW. At least casuals actually bought it to play games.

Also too it is rumor that the PS3 cost 400 dollar to make now rather than the 800 that was reported before( which i still feel like it was inflated, come on the drive cost sony 400 dollar from sony's own factories).

What sony really needs is some thing that truly will make people buy it because it proves it really is the most powerful system and has the best most addictive and fun games. Really that is their problem. If you remember the xbox 360 went thur a slump before gears came out, yet many good games came out before it. Yet gears was the game that wowed every one. Will that happen again.... simple answer no. Unless square pulls some magic out of their but. some people still think it's fun but lots think it's slow and boring, but it looks good.

What is also funny is how some of my most wanted games are not even on that list and to tell you the truth once they get publisher they will be on the list. By march you may see a flood of Wii games jumping on that list.

If you remember the xbox 360 struggled to get to 10 million last year and the Wii will hit 20 before march. I don't know but you guys are waiting for the avalanche to stop. Just like when the Wii was about to come out look back and tell me how many of the games we currently have where announced back then?

thats bs why does the uk pay a hell of a lot more than any1 else.

the ps3 is $600 for the cheapest model and the noraml xbox is $400

the wii's even $360

its bs.

so the wii in uk houses is going to las t a lot longer

to me where Sony went wrong was they put to much into the console. I mean come on, i know u always want to out do ur last console but dont drown urself to the point where u know the average teenager cannot afford ur console. wat i would do is remove the blu ray player out of the console and sell it seperatly as an attachment..that would easily knock the price down 150 - 200 bucks..and then after that i would really get on the grind and make that baby sell.

Last edited:
I already mentioned Sony will price drop again this year. However it will be the 40gb version. They should stick with the 20gb and keep support of PS1-2. Over 115 million people own a PS2, for Sony to turn their backs on that is utter insanity. That's more than the GC, Wii, Xbox, 360, Dreamcast, Neo Geo, 3do, Jaguar, TG-16, Saturn, Sega CD combined!

If Nintendo and Microsoft do not price drop they could watch Sony catch up this year. However it's a dangerous gamble. If Nintendo and Microsoft price drop by $100 each they could destroy Sony's last chance to catch up. Let's see who has the best poker face.

It won't lose momentum anytime soon. I've heard the supply isn't expected to meet the demand until sometime around June 2008 for the Wii...bad news for those who are still looking because they are going to be hard to find until then.

On the article, I'll believe it. Most people I'm sure wouldn't mind owning a PS3 (besides its size) but the price may be a bit too high right now, same with the 360 but they have an excellent lineup, I must admit.

360 ends up costing a few bucks more than a Wii, if even that when its said and done.. the Wii starts out cheep with alot of pricey add ons same as xbox 360 arcade version, its only 30 bucks more but in the end a completed system is the same cost i would say... once you figure in memory cards/hard drives and controllers

problem is ps3 starts higher and its controllers cost just as much so its in no way "cheeper" than the other 2 systems, not to mention the fact they are taking the biggest profit loss...

As you manufacture something the more you make the cheeper it is to make, Thats why 360 did the first price drop they have been out longer and have sold a fair amount to be able too improve manufacturing cost and inturn be able to drop the price..

Wii has made even more units than 360 but in half the time so they probably havent found a cheeper way to really build it yet running at full speed just trying to keep up. But with how many parts they are probably ordering now in bulk, the price difference in that alone they could safely drop the price down to the 199.99 mark by this comming christmas same for 360 i would say

ps3 on the other hand isn't dropping in manufacturing cost, because it hasn't made enough units and the price of making them hasn't gone down enough to be able to do this.
They are dropping price just to compete with the other 2 systems.... They already take the biggest hit in profits all this will do its put them further in the red...

Honestly with all the dumb moves sony has made over the years im suprised they are still as big as they are... they need to take a breath pay attention and just make money for once if they dont catch up they will be gone soon...

sagema said:
Over 115 million people own a PS2, for Sony to turn their backs on that is utter insanity. That's more than the GC, Wii, Xbox, 360, Dreamcast, Neo Geo, 3do, Jaguar, TG-16, Saturn, Sega CD combined!
I doubt that over 115 million people actually do own PS2s. I know that many has been sold but nobody ever seems to take into account how many of them are repeat buys, virtually everyone i know who had a PS2 has bought more than 1 due to them wearing out and some people have even bought 3.

I wonder how long Sony will support the PS3 at a loss because its still not even getting great software sales.

i doubt ssbb will cause much of a spike at all. all the nintendo fans already own a wii and besides them its mostly "casual" gamers, remember? they arent looking forward to SSBB.

but until ps3 is under $300? stupid article, and thats pretty god awful if the wii takes that long to meet demand, it shouldve already but i guess nintendo loves the attention.

sremick said:
The PS3 has never made a profit. I don't think Sony's game division has ever made a profit. Nor has Microsoft's XBox division.

And the Wii will lose momentum the day that Zelda and Mario games are available on the Playstation.

If you think it's the Mario and Zelda games pushing the Wii consoles, you might want to rethink that.

GC was the worst selling console of last generation. It had Mario and Zelda games, no?

wezeles said:
360 ends up costing a few bucks more than a Wii, if even that when its said and done.. the Wii starts out cheep with alot of pricey add ons same as xbox 360 arcade version, its only 30 bucks more but in the end a completed system is the same cost i would say... once you figure in memory cards/hard drives and controllers

The Arcade version of 360 comes with a 256MB memory card and a wireless controller. The only things Arcade version doesnt come with is ethernet cord and headset.

Face it if you bought the Arcade version you chances are someone who didnt have much money so you wanted to save. Or a casual gamer who doesnt need a headset or maybe even not ethernet cord. Besides most people who have broadband own an extra ethernet cord. I know I got a bunch laying around. Even if you don't they're really cheap.

Only one thing can defeat Nintendo this year. Poor judgement, and with Sony topping themselves month by month it'll be hard. This generation goes back to originality, casual gamers, and reasonable prices. Let's see if Nintendo slips up.

i dont really think wii's momentum will go down, but rather just level out. PS3's will definitely go up though, I know for sure if I didn't have a Wii right now and the only deciding factor was a 50 dollar difference, I throw out the extra 50 and get a PS3.

I'd still want the Wii, but at that moment the PS3 would win my money. That was their biggest mistake of all, thinking people were ready for a $600 game console. Computer? Sure, but not a game console.

I can imagine Sony vs. consumers as an episode of Seinfeld. Namely when Jerry got his father "The Wizard". For those of you who haven't seen it, Jerry got his father a $200 personal organizer called "The Wizard" which would have been the equivalent of a Blackberry. His father however only notices one feature, the calculator which he gleefully exclaims he'll use to calculate tips at restaurants. The whole show Jerry is trying to show his dad the other features of this thing, but still his father is only paying attention to the "tip calculator". In the end Jerry lets slip how much it cost him to get it, and his father is like "I can't believe you'd pay 200 dollars for a tip calculator" to which a now hoplessly frustrated Jerry retorts "IT DOES OTHER THINGS!".

That's probably what Sony feels like everytime we complain about the price tag.

Last edited:
sremick said:
They sort of have to, since unlike Sony and Microsoft they don't have a myriad of other businesses to prop up a money-losing division.
Do you realize how profitable Pokemon is alone?

Back