Will the jaggies Improve with better games?

2ZeBeach

WiiChat Member
Dec 4, 2006
Medford, MA
I've had my Wii for about a week now and I love it. The only gripe I have at this point is all of the jaggies that are apparent in every game. This drives me nuts...I'm not sure why they couldn't get smooth edges...it doesn't seem like a difficult task for such an advanced console.

I was wondering if when the game makers get more used to programming for the system if they will be able to make "smoother" games. Or maybe when the games get more graphically advanced the jaggies will get worse because the Wii hardware cant handle it? :yikes:

I'd also love to see an upgrade to 720p...that would make me love nintendo even more....no jaggies...and 720p. my life would be complete.

I guess its just showing the limitations of the Wii. I know its not meant to have terribly ugly graphics, but the hardware does limit it from showing us perfectly smooth textures.

Jaggies are the not complete ''circles'' on edges. Its caused by the lack of filtering. For example, start a game in ur pc like Half life 2. Through the options, enable 4x AA. See the outcome. Then disable it, and play the game again.

Anyway, most games on the wii have GC graphics right now, and any1 who comes from the pc world with the good VGAs, will have to adjust to the new looks a bit. I did, but I was never surprised seeing jaggies anyway. But some filtering can be applied, for example check out SSX blur, it looks awesome.

Here's a thought...
You guys may or not know but Asus is making an external graphics card for labtops (7900gs to start)

What's to prevent similar products on consoles?
(It could easily bump FPS and if AA could somehow be forced:yikes:)

But yes, I've noticed this, especialy on Zelda and Wii Sports:wtf:

vagrant said:
There is no anti-aliasing, so it really won't improve with the games that much. Except for cartoonish game.

Does anti-aliasing come from additional software, or would different hardware need to be incorporated for this?

AA is usually done by the video card, in the case of a computer. i suppose you could do it with software, considering it is all just calculations, but the strain it would put on the frame rate wouldn't be worth it most likely. if you haven't played games without AA before, now is a great time to try it out. oh, and if you want to get rid of the jaggies, you can always use the composite cables, that is natural AA ;)

and for an external video card to come out on a console, there would first have to be a 'plug' to connect it through which the console sent and received video information. you could theoretically construct a post-processing box that would smooth out the jaggies, but you would probably wind up getting artifacts or lag, nothing good comes without its own penalty. if you were using progressive scan, because twice the amount of information is present per update(or frame), it would work better with some sort of post-processing AA filter.

heres a big long technical article about AA filters. http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/928

Last edited:
Graphics aren't as important as the gameplay, just remember that... a game's graphics can be flawless and it can still be crap. Nintendo will fix this somehow, so decide:

Wait and love your Wii or sell it and go to some other console. Those are really the only two options.

bound to get better as more game develepoers put their new platform to the test so theres no need 2 get a boner over it now... lol

2ZeBeach said:
I've had my Wii for about a week now and I love it. The only gripe I have at this point is all of the jaggies that are apparent in every game. This drives me nuts...I'm not sure why they couldn't get smooth edges...it doesn't seem like a difficult task for such an advanced console.

I was wondering if when the game makers get more used to programming for the system if they will be able to make "smoother" games. Or maybe when the games get more graphically advanced the jaggies will get worse because the Wii hardware cant handle it? :yikes:

I'd also love to see an upgrade to 720p...that would make me love nintendo even more....no jaggies...and 720p. my life would be complete.

I'm not sure the jaggies will improve because, even if the graphics chip does support antialiasing, I'm not sure the console is powerful enough to handle it. I saw my friend playing his X-Box 1 the other day and even that has antialiasing. So whilst I am generally happy with the quality of gxf in games such as SSX Blur and Sonic, I do feel that this would have finished it off nicely. In some cases, such as Red Steel, I feel that this can impair gameplay at certian points as its hard to see enemies far away. I'm not looking for games like Gears of War, otherwise I would have bought a XBox 360, but in 2007 even low end Graphics cards can support 2 x antialiasing to an acceptable level.

It depends if whoever made the game take their time on creating and making the graphics great, like Gran Turismo 3 for Ps2.

deeman said:
but in 2007 even low end Graphics cards can support 2 x antialiasing to an acceptable level.
Ya, I don't see why they can't/arn't doing this on the Wii.

2x AA will not totaly get rid of them (you'll need around 6x before they are pretty much unnoticable unless zoomed in and looking closely) but it would be significantly better and would be good enough for me.

Back