Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Will the jaggies Improve with better games?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Hardware' started by 2ZeBeach, Dec 31, 2006.

1. 2ZeBeach

2ZeBeach WiiChat Member

I've had my Wii for about a week now and I love it. The only gripe I have at this point is all of the jaggies that are apparent in every game. This drives me nuts...I'm not sure why they couldn't get smooth edges...it doesn't seem like a difficult task for such an advanced console.

I was wondering if when the game makers get more used to programming for the system if they will be able to make "smoother" games. Or maybe when the games get more graphically advanced the jaggies will get worse because the Wii hardware cant handle it? :yikes:

I'd also love to see an upgrade to 720p...that would make me love nintendo even more....no jaggies...and 720p. my life would be complete.

2. GangstaMack

GangstaMack WiiChat Member

yea i knoticed that too...specially when i hooked up my component cables

3. 2ZeBeach

2ZeBeach WiiChat Member

no one else has any thoughts on the matter?

4. swiitness

swiitness WiiChat Member

I guess its just showing the limitations of the Wii. I know its not meant to have terribly ugly graphics, but the hardware does limit it from showing us perfectly smooth textures.

5. vagrant

vagrant ₪ ۩ ₪

Wii Friend Code: 8573-5327-9660-0097
    8573-5327-9660-0097
    There is no anti-aliasing, so it really won't improve with the games that much. Except for cartoonish game.

6. Icetrash

Icetrash King K.Rool

Wii Friend Code: 4727-8101-2072-3014
    4727-8101-2072-3014
    What is this word you guys call "jaggies"

7. NecroDemonNZXT

NecroDemonNZXT WiiChat Member

Jaggies are the not complete ''circles'' on edges. Its caused by the lack of filtering. For example, start a game in ur pc like Half life 2. Through the options, enable 4x AA. See the outcome. Then disable it, and play the game again.

Anyway, most games on the wii have GC graphics right now, and any1 who comes from the pc world with the good VGAs, will have to adjust to the new looks a bit. I did, but I was never surprised seeing jaggies anyway. But some filtering can be applied, for example check out SSX blur, it looks awesome.

8. StevenNevets

StevenNevets WiiChat Member

Here's a thought...
    You guys may or not know but Asus is making an external graphics card for labtops (7900gs to start)

What's to prevent similar products on consoles?
    (It could easily bump FPS and if AA could somehow be forced:yikes:)

But yes, I've noticed this, especialy on Zelda and Wii Sports:wtf:

9. 2ZeBeach

2ZeBeach WiiChat Member

Does anti-aliasing come from additional software, or would different hardware need to be incorporated for this?

10. Mad_Gouki

Mad_Gouki WiiChat Member

AA is usually done by the video card, in the case of a computer. i suppose you could do it with software, considering it is all just calculations, but the strain it would put on the frame rate wouldn't be worth it most likely. if you haven't played games without AA before, now is a great time to try it out. oh, and if you want to get rid of the jaggies, you can always use the composite cables, that is natural AA ;)

and for an external video card to come out on a console, there would first have to be a 'plug' to connect it through which the console sent and received video information. you could theoretically construct a post-processing box that would smooth out the jaggies, but you would probably wind up getting artifacts or lag, nothing good comes without its own penalty. if you were using progressive scan, because twice the amount of information is present per update(or frame), it would work better with some sort of post-processing AA filter.

heres a big long technical article about AA filters. http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/928

#10 Mad_Gouki, Jan 9, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
  11. CYBERKNIGHT

CYBERKNIGHT power to the players

Graphics aren't as important as the gameplay, just remember that... a game's graphics can be flawless and it can still be crap. Nintendo will fix this somehow, so decide:

Wait and love your Wii or sell it and go to some other console. Those are really the only two options.

12. mk_south_london

mk_south_london !SUPERMOD! *blu mushroom*

Wii Friend Code: 7195-7874-4951-1917
    7195-7874-4951-1917
    bound to get better as more game develepoers put their new platform to the test so theres no need 2 get a boner over it now... lol

13. deeman

deeman WiiChat Member

I'm not sure the jaggies will improve because, even if the graphics chip does support antialiasing, I'm not sure the console is powerful enough to handle it. I saw my friend playing his X-Box 1 the other day and even that has antialiasing. So whilst I am generally happy with the quality of gxf in games such as SSX Blur and Sonic, I do feel that this would have finished it off nicely. In some cases, such as Red Steel, I feel that this can impair gameplay at certian points as its hard to see enemies far away. I'm not looking for games like Gears of War, otherwise I would have bought a XBox 360, but in 2007 even low end Graphics cards can support 2 x antialiasing to an acceptable level.

14. J-Tizzle

J-Tizzle Jounin Member

It depends if whoever made the game take their time on creating and making the graphics great, like Gran Turismo 3 for Ps2.

15. StevenNevets

StevenNevets WiiChat Member

Ya, I don't see why they can't/arn't doing this on the Wii.

2x AA will not totaly get rid of them (you'll need around 6x before they are pretty much unnoticable unless zoomed in and looking closely) but it would be significantly better and would be good enough for me.

16. deeman

deeman WiiChat Member

Yeah, agreed. I think just cleaning up the edges a bit would be beneficial, so 2x would suffice, and probably not hit performance that much either. In other areas I'm very happy with gfx. Some of the lighting effects are excellent.

17. BrandonMcAuslan

BrandonMcAuslan Special Olympics Medalist

Wii Friend Code: 1234-1234-1234-1234
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    The graphics will improve over time. Look at the Ps2 launch titles graphics compared to say, Shadow of the colossus and gta3.
    Right now games are being made quickly or are being ported to exploit the fact that there aren't many games out on wii yet. Remeber we still haven't seen a game developed for the wii thats had the same time/effort that most games got on the previous generation of consoles.
    Zelda was a GC port (Developed an extra year for wii)
    Red Steel was rushed. etc
    The truly great games (graphically) will come in time.

(Not that Zelda isn't great :smilewinkgrin: )

18. deeman

deeman WiiChat Member

I take your point, but if antialiasing is available then it shouldnt be too hard to switch on, regardless of whether the game is a port.

19. Wiitendo

Wiitendo Banned

Yup they will.

20. Wiitendo

Wiitendo Banned

670i is said the be the limit. The componet cable max is 540i so stop acting like you know what your talkin about.