will the wii have an ethernet cable port?

I_Dont_Know859 said:
i was just wondering...
It will come with a USB to Ethernet cable - the USB side intending to be pluged into the back of the Wii.

Squall7 said:
It will come with a USB to Ethernet cable - the USB side intending to be pluged into the back of the Wii.
source?
if it is gonna come with it for free then why wouldnt they of jsut built it in? i think your gonna have to buy it but they wont charge more than $20 for it im sure

I was wondering about this also, afew months back. But then I just decided to buy a Router recently.

Never had a Router before, never really wanted one. But I have to be prepared for the Wii. :)

if your gonna buy a router so you can play the wii online, get a wireless one because the wii has wireless built in so as soon as you turn it on, it sould connect to your internet if you have a wireless router (unless you have the router MAC filtered like me, then you gotta get the mac address of the Wii and put it in the trusted list)

yah i recently bought a wireless router and modem in 1 pack thingy, wii online right out of the box!

Mitch2025 said:
if your gonna buy a router so you can play the wii online, get a wireless one because the wii has wireless built in so as soon as you turn it on, it sould connect to your internet if you have a wireless router (unless you have the router MAC filtered like me, then you gotta get the mac address of the Wii and put it in the trusted list)

The one I bought is Wireless, I probably should have mentioned that. :sick:

I still have yet to set it up though, I'm not going to until I actually get a Wii.

Squall7 said:
No, the USB adapter does not connect to the Wii. The USB adapter connects to your internet-connected computer, which transmits wirelessly to the Wii. This same adapter is already on the market for the DS.

Why don't you guys just get the PSP Wifi MAX
Its just like Nintendo's USB Wifi Connector but it also works for the psp, laptops, mobile devices that use internet, game consoles (ex. Wii), it even works for the ds. Plus its only 40 dollars and its a good alternative if you dont have a router. But the catch is that the thing you are using has to be like 40 feet in range.

here is a picture of the PSP Wifi MAX:
060303_wifi_max_nintendo_ds.jpg

here is the website to learn more about it:
http://us.codejunkies.com/shop/product.asp?c=US&cr=USD&cs=$&r=0&l=1&ProdID=711

He said:
Squall7 said:

You said:
registerednerd said:
No, the USB adapter does not connect to the Wii. The USB adapter connects to your internet-connected computer, which transmits wirelessly to the Wii. This same adapter is already on the market for the DS.

Squall7 meant that if you don't have a wireless router, then you can use a USB-to-ethernet cable, which comes with most routers, wired or wireless, and one end plugs into the router while the other end is USB so it would plug into one of the two USB ports on the back of the Wii.

However, I think what you're suggesting, the USB transmitter, is also a nice alternative as long as your computer's in range.

As for whether Wii will come with a USB-to-ethernet cable and/or USB transmitter is really unlikely. The Xbox, which was really made for online gaming, didn't include an ethernet cable, so it probably won't happen for Wii.

Last edited:
NateTheGreat said:
Squall7 meant that if you don't have a wireless router, then you can use a USB-to-ethernet cable, which comes with most routers, wired or wireless, and one end plugs into the router while the other end is USB so it would plug into one of the two USB ports on the back of the Wii.
I must say, I am a certified computer technician, and I have never seen (or heard of) such a cable. However, yes, the WiFi Max is also a very good alternative if you don't want to put the money into a router and have more devices than just the Wii/DS to connect.

NateTheGreat said:

registerednerd said:
I must say, I am a certified computer technician, and I have never seen (or heard of) such a cable. However, yes, the WiFi Max is also a very good alternative if you don't want to put the money into a router and have more devices than just the Wii/DS to connect.
i think NateTheGreat mean something like this:usb_lan_10_100.jpg

^^
the problem with adapters like that is that they require drivers to run, which can only be installed on a PC. If you were to plug that into a Wii, it may see a USB device, but it won't know what it is or how to use it (in layman's terms)

Back