Will we ever see classic arcade games on VC?

Its up to nintendo

But there are loads of arrcade game packs out for other consoles

johnny_rocket2210 said:
arent Pacman, Galaga, Xevious etc. arcade games?

Those are the NES versions of those games, not the actual arcade version.

FRuMMaGe said:
There is no difference, besides the controller.

The NES is not playing emulated versions of the arcade roms. In some cases they are pretty good ports, but I've played more than my share of arcade Galaga and can tell that the NES version is not quite the same game.

Skippy said:
The NES is not playing emulated versions of the arcade roms. In some cases they are pretty good ports, but I've played more than my share of arcade Galaga and can tell that the NES version is not quite the same game.
Well what the **** are you looking for then?! Why don't you list these "differences". I for one do not thing arcade games are worth 5 dollars.

Clarke said:
Well what the **** are you looking for then?! Why don't you list these "differences". I for one do not thing arcade games are worth 5 dollars.

Sheesh, what's with the harsh reaction?
The original message from ToddH mentioned he wanted to see authentic emulated arcade game for the virtual console. Someone else said that there are already a few. I responded by saying those are not the actual arcade versions but NES ports (some better than others).

As far as paying $5 goes, if both the NES version and arcade version were available, I would be more likely to buy the arcade version if I were to buy one at all.

As far as Galaga differences go, they are minor. I'm actually pretty impressed by the NES port, it's probably the closest you could get given the hardware. But there are some very slight differences in graphics, colors, and movements. A couple of the sound effects are not quite exact. Also the attract screen is the most notable difference, although since that's not really part of the gameplay itself, I don't mind. But my point was that it's not the authentic arcade version, but I wasn't complaining about it.

The nintendo Galaga is a prime example of a port that is not up to par, if you are a Galaga fan. The sound and overall movement is close but not as good as the arcade. And the major thing is that the nintendo version does not save the high score, which to me is the whole point of that game. Thats why the gamecube namco museum is GOLD. Galaga, Pacman, and more are on there too, and they are EXACT ports of the arcade.

balsho said:
The nintendo Galaga is a prime example of a port that is not up to par, if you are a Galaga fan. The sound and overall movement is close but not as good as the arcade. And the major thing is that the nintendo version does not save the high score, which to me is the whole point of that game. Thats why the gamecube namco museum is GOLD. Galaga, Pacman, and more are on there too, and they are EXACT ports of the arcade.

I agree completely. I'm a Galaga nut, having spent a large part of the 80's feeding quarters into Galaga machines. I know almost every pattern. Nothing compares to playing the actual arcade rom. The NES version pales in comparison. It sounds like I should pick up the Namco Museum disc for the Gamecube if I want to play some of these games.

How about ninja turtles? xbox arcade got the arcade port but we are getting the NES version with the bonus levels. I would rather play the arcade version or have both as an option.

Back