Wires Compared to Wireless

nintendo309

WiiChat Member
Dec 27, 2006
I am thinking about using wired internet connection. Is there really a difference (in the speed), and should i spend $30 on a LAN adapter?

Thanks,

NINTENDO309

well if u have wireless go with that because u dont have to deal with all the wires going everywhere. at this point and time a wired connection has a 100 mbps speed between ur router and ur wii. wireless comes in 3 common flavors. the cheapest, 802.11b has a speed of 11 mbps from ur router and wii. 802.11g has a speed of 54 mbps. and 802.11n which is ridiculously expensive has 108 mbps. The speed of your ISP is also a factor, example, obviously cable is faster than most dsl connections. im running over 802.11b and it seems to be running fine with no lag. If u can connect ur wii through a ethernet cable go ahead and do so but i dont think you'll see that much of an increase in speed.

Wait a min. I thought the whole point of getting Wireless was because its also faster? Yet you're saying that the Wired Option is 2 times as fast as the G wireless router...

short answer, yes but it shouldnt matter too much because your ISP internet bandwith pipe isnt nearly as fast or as wide as ur local network

Wait a min. I thought the whole point of getting Wireless was because its also faster? Yet you're saying that the Wired Option is 2 times as fast as the G wireless router...

You have things backwards. Wired Connections are faster than a wireless connection.

Actually the Wii only supports 802.11b and 802.11g, and as such, wired should have a faster throughput (54Mbps vs 100Mbps).
Plus, wired will offer lower latency (approx 2-3ms faster on average).

Does the speed difference matter? No, not at all.
As stated, your real care is likely its ability to go online with these speeds.
First off, in my experience, the virtual console and system update servers are so slow on their own it wouldn't help if you had an OC48 plugged in. News and weather use less data than it took for you to load this webpage. And no web page you could load with Opera will ever be degraded by 11Mbps throughput.
Playing games online, when they come out, will be an issue of latency and not throughput. But 2-3ms wouldn't be noticeable to you.

The average DSL/cable customer has 3Mbps of actual throughput available to them at any given moment. Any LAN based transfers (eg, Orb) would also sustain over 802.11b without issue.
To give you an idea, the Wii has 512MB of internal memory. At 11Mbps, you could download 512MB in in about 6 minutes 12 seconds. The Wii's RAM is also just 88MB, so think how fast that would fill up. I can't imagine anything on the horizon that would ever need that much throughput for the Wii.

I'd let convenience dictate your decision. If you have a wireless network already, use it. If you don't, but you have a wired network, get the LAN adapter. If you have neither, and your computer is either dialup or plugs directly into a modem, get the Nintendo wireless dongle for your computer.

Plus I'd leave the USB ports open for future use (screwing around with USB hubs is a nuisance).

Ummn okay I get that but what about actual Internet connection between computers and routers. Are you saying that the speed is faster when you have a Wired Router or is faster with a Wireless one? Because I thought that at the very least the internet would be faster using a wireless router so thats why I got it in addition to the fact that we could connect it to the Wii. However theres no point in using a wireless network if the speed itself is going to decrease overall is there?

your not quite getting it.. as ieatlint said, your bandwith from your ISP at any given time is at max maybe 3 mbps. even the slowest standard for wireless networking 802.11b at 11mbps will be more than enough for your internet bandwith from the ISP. the only place that you would see increase and decreases in speed would be within your local network. example: ftp from one computer to another will be faster with a wired connection than a wireless connection

Oh ic...I called our ISP and they said we're gettin 6mBps. So when I setup the Wireless on 802.11b at the very least I'll be getting 3x the speed I usually get from the ISP correct? And what exactly is the range when you have your router set to Mixed? Anywhere between 6-54 I'm guessing or is it more in the middle. Thanks for clearing that up for me. For a moment I was kinda scared I had wasted $50 bucks for nothing. But since its more for the internet than for actually computer networking I think that its a good investment right?

MasterJedi2U said:
Ummn okay I get that but what about actual Internet connection between computers and routers. Are you saying that the speed is faster when you have a Wired Router or is faster with a Wireless one? Because I thought that at the very least the internet would be faster using a wireless router so thats why I got it in addition to the fact that we could connect it to the Wii. However theres no point in using a wireless network if the speed itself is going to decrease overall is there?
:shocked: if you look at it from a certin view, it makes common since wired connections are faster than wireless

You just love starting fights don't you? What are you like 10? Get a life kid. I didn't understand what they were saying and know I do. Mission Accomplished. SO you can take your "holier than thou" attitude someplace else. No to mention he said that for the COMPUTER to Internet connection that Wireless router is better than a wired one since they only do 3-6. Or at least thats what my DSL modem from Bellsouth is doing. So using a wireless router should improve the speed significantly if I'm reading everything correct.

okay let me clear some more stuff up, your internet comes in at 6 mbps, into your wireless router. if your router is 802.11b it can relay information to its wireless devices at 11mbps. It does NOT make your internet faster, what i was saying before is 11mbps and 100mbps will feel the same because your internet is maxed out at 6mbps. Your router can relay the information that is coming in at 6mbps at the same speed as wired and wireless because the speed in which your router can relay information is faster than the information that is coming into your router. Get it now?

"Your router can relay the information that is coming in at 6mbps at the same speed as wired and wireless because the speed in which your router can relay information is faster than the information that is coming into your router."

Umm not really...sorry. And yeah what router are you talking about. I have DSL modem that is connected to the Ethernet port on the back of my computer. The DSL *modem* is running at 6mBps right now according to Bellsouth. There is NO router right now. I just bought one and its being delivered. Its wireless and I'm planning on hooking it up so that we have Wireless internet for the ENTIRE house which I guess is the biggest benefit of all. I just thought it would also make the internet even faster than it already was...guess I was wrong.

So the only time speed will even matter is when we're talking about a computer to computer connection right? And I could do that if I wanted to with the system I'm about to setup?

like.. let me put it this way, if your going to tranfer files from computer to computer using your network, it would correspond to your network speed which is 100mbps for wired and 11 54 or 108 for wireless depending on your router/modem. but your internet speed is maxxed at 6mbps so it doesnt really matter if u have wired or wireless, all your computers will receive the full 6mbps no matter if they are wired or wireless. so in other words, all your computer on your entire network (wired and wireless) will have the same exact speed.

meh i got a 220$ router and my speed is usually 100+ kb/s, the router was free because the isp didnt have any normal 50$ company brand ones left. Good deal :thumbsup:

so id say wireless if you dont have the room or your computer is on a dif floor then get wireless. If your wii is pretty close to your computer/router then just get wired. Im happy with wireless imo.

+my computer(in downstairs hallway) and wii(in my room) are on dif floors so it helps.

Last edited:
Back