Won't read disks when standing vertically?

rotlex

WiiChat Member
Sep 16, 2007
Read a few threads regarding can't read disk messages, as well as troubleshooting tips. Just wanted to ask though if anyone has seen a case where the Wii won't read a game disk, i.e. receive the error stating to eject the disk, turn unit off and on etc., ONLY when the unit is on it's side\vertical?

I have mine about a week or two, actually a few months longer, but just unboxed at Christmas. It's been playing fine, but yesterday, went to play Zelda, and kept getting the error over and over. Figured I'd lay the unit horizontally, and it's working fine. Wondering if this is common, or if I should be calling Nintendo about it. I HATE the thought of sending it anywhere as I'm in the middle of a few games, and my daughter is having a blast with it as well.

Assuming you're not putting the disc in upside down, then something is wrong and you need to call Nintendo.

Yeah, disk is going in the right way, and it's really frustrating to think about having to send the unit back for anything. I just find it strange that things are fine when horizontal, and lots of errors when in it's upright\vertical stand. Ah well, should probably call as it's pretty much a week old at this point.

Sounds like it might be a marginal alignment (and likely nothing from your recent firmware update - I'd suspect just coincidence). The vertical position might create just a tiny alignment shift that takes it out of spec.

Definitely not "user serviceable", though personally I'd just run it horizontal if it's 100% in that orientation!

miiwiiwii said:
plz describe the way ur putting in the disc

I think he's covered this - there's only one wrong way to insert the disc, he knows how to insert to play horizontal, and it's not much of a logical step to determine how the disc goes in if the unit standing vertical (if you think about it).

Plus it +sounds+ as if he laid it down, disc still in it and just restarted in the new orientation and it was fine. (You also have to figure it's not a big problem to change the "upside" of the disc to confirm this which I would assume he did as well).

[DT] said:
I think he's covered this - there's only one wrong way to insert the disc, he knows how to insert to play horizontal, and it's not much of a logical step to determine how the disc goes in if the unit standing vertical (if you think about it).

Plus it +sounds+ as if he laid it down, disc still in it and just restarted in the new orientation and it was fine. (You also have to figure it's not a big problem to change the "upside" of the disc to confirm this which I would assume he did as well).

Yep, disk orientation definitely verified. :) Also, yes, last night, had a disk read error while standing vertical. Laid unit horizontal without ever removing the disk, and everything worked great. Even vertical, it does not fail 100% of the time,more like 50/50. Annoying just the same though, as it "fits" better in my wall unit vertical.

yea, i bought my wii in oct. had it vertical ever since. then about 2 weeks ago. once in a while i would get that error and restart then it would be fine. i got annoyed and i have it horizontal now.

Back