Yahtzee reviews Madwolrd

hahahaha

So I guess I'm the only one who doesn't try to lock on to people.

hahahaha

So I guess I'm the only one who doesn't try to lock on to people.

This is why I got House of the Dead Overkill and not Madworld. I am going to wait for a price drop.

I know that review is written for 'comedy' but snivelling at the graphics seems a tad harsh, I thought they were pretty amazing, but each to their own I guess.

"Just because it's on the Wii" - so what?!

Doesn't change the fact it's a great game and very fun to play (and why haven't you bought it yet?!)

hencam[uk];1013132 said:
He's pointing out the fact that people made a big deal about it just because it's a violent game for the Wii, whereas on the 360 or PS3 it probably wouldn't stand out so much.

hencam[uk];1013132 said:
I know that review is written for 'comedy' but snivelling at the graphics seems a tad harsh, I thought they were pretty amazing, but each to their own I guess.

Doesn't change the fact it's a great game and very fun to play (and why haven't you bought it yet?!)

Everyone creates huge hype whenever they see an "M" on the box and blood.

Madworld is a straight beat em' up, not worth a $50 price tag in my mind. But based on what I've heard, it's a great fun.

The thing that bothers me is that some write Madworld off just because it's on the Wii...

There are lots (and lots) of Wii owners, we have to understand that some of those will like playing mini-games, some will like playing kiddie games, and some will want 'core' games (however you want to define them).

It's good to see more games targeting more types of gamers.

hencam[uk];1013132 said:

Don't find it too shocking that. A lot of people said that it gets progressively boring. Random arm flailing isn't my cup of tea.

hencam[uk];1013142 said:
The thing that bothers me is that some write Madworld off just because it's on the Wii...

There are lots (and lots) of Wii owners, we have to understand that some of those will like playing mini-games, some will like playing kiddie games, and some will want 'core' games (however you want to define them).

It's good to see more games targeting more types of gamers.

They were already making the traditional games for the Wii for quite some time now. I don't know why people are complaining on that all of a sudden. I always thought the hardcore crowd was people that were in for the challenge.

Perhaps your real desire has always been getting a PS3 or an Xbox360.

Don't find it too shocking that. A lot of people said that it gets progressively boring. Random arm flailing isn't my cup of tea.

Played it much? 'Random arm flailing' sounds almost like a fanboy who is feeling threatened by a good game on the Wii...

Don't get me wrong, you're entitled to dislike the game, but accusing what are quite well-honed controls as 'random flailing' makes you come across a bit... sovieto.

I actually found it getting more interesting as you progressed - especially the little twists in the story, and discovering the new challenges and ways to earn more points, but I suppose some people have the attention span of a gnat and skip 30 second cutscenes... There are some truly funny moments later on though and some of the bosses offer great moments of gaming.

They were already making the traditional games for the Wii for quite some time now. I don't know why people are complaining on that all of a sudden. I always thought the hardcore crowd was people that were in for the challenge.

Perhaps your real desire has always been getting a PS3 or an Xbox360.

Think I'll pass, knob-twiddling seems so outdated to me now (see what I did there? ;) )

I know there have been 'core' games for the Wii since it released (I have a few of them - RE4, Godfather, Scarface, NMH, SSBB etc etc), but they certainly didn't have the media attention or advertising spend of HOTD:Overkill and Madworld.

I don't consider myself 'hardcore' or any particular type of gamer - I just want to play games that are fun and offer something new - and when the Wii is at it's best, that's what you get, and it's why I still have one.

As something that's intended to be fun and offer a unique challenge, Madworld has it in spades - if you're looking for the next messiah in gaming then you're mistaken, but there's no denying there is a lot of fun to be had from the game.

It's a nice touch that when you complete the game you unlock hard mode and double-chainsaws and a katana sword, effectively more than doubling the play-time (you aren't going to complete it very quickly in hard mode - it's HARD!)

hencam[uk];1013196 said:
Played it much? 'Random arm flailing' sounds almost like a fanboy who is feeling threatened by a good game on the Wii...

Don't get me wrong, you're entitled to dislike the game, but accusing what are quite well-honed controls as 'random flailing' makes you come across a bit... sovieto.

I actually found it getting more interesting as you progressed - especially the little twists in the story, and discovering the new challenges and ways to earn more points, but I suppose some people have the attention span of a gnat and skip 30 second cutscenes... There are some truly funny moments later on though and some of the bosses offer great moments of gaming.

Think I'll pass, knob-twiddling seems so outdated to me now (see what I did there? ;) )

I know there have been 'core' games for the Wii since it released (I have a few of them - RE4, Godfather, Scarface, NMH, SSBB etc etc), but they certainly didn't have the media attention or advertising spend of HOTD:Overkill and Madworld.

I don't consider myself 'hardcore' or any particular type of gamer - I just want to play games that are fun and offer something new - and when the Wii is at it's best, that's what you get, and it's why I still have one.

As something that's intended to be fun and offer a unique challenge, Madworld has it in spades - if you're looking for the next messiah in gaming then you're mistaken, but there's no denying there is a lot of fun to be had from the game.

It's a nice touch that when you complete the game you unlock hard mode and double-chainsaws and a katana sword, effectively more than doubling the play-time (you aren't going to complete it very quickly in hard mode - it's HARD!)

I don't know about you, but Madworld has knob twiddling. I guess we better take that away.

I don't see ANY major differences between Madworld and other games on the 360 or PS3. Besides some motion controls, there really isn't any other things that separate them both.

I like my Wii and have a couple of games I adore, but there just isn't enough out there. I just don't get why people stay loyal to a console, when they could expand onto others and have both worlds. Sorry man, if you're a core gamer who loves the occasional "Madworld" type of a game, and still love innovative and new gameplay that the Wii offers, get a 360 or PS3 to be its buddy.

I don't know about you, but Madworld has knob twiddling. I guess we better take that away.

I don't see ANY major differences between Madworld and other games on the 360 or PS3. Besides some motion controls, there really isn't any other things that separate them both.

I like my Wii and have a couple of games I adore, but there just isn't enough out there. I just don't get why people stay loyal to a console, when they could expand onto others and have both worlds. Sorry man, if you're a core gamer who loves the occasional "Madworld" type of a game, and still love innovative and new gameplay that the Wii offers, get a 360 or PS3 to be its buddy.

I hear what you're saying, and I didn't mean to come across as an arse in my last post (hope it didn't come across that way), but I'm amused why Madworld has stirred such a hornet's nest, mainly between those that have played it and those that won't (either because they are loyal to another console or another reason such as game length, cost etc).

hencam[uk];1013196 said:

I thought the game got more interesting as it progressed too and I've enjoyed it immensely.

It seems the majority of people who put Madworld down for being too short/boring/ having random flailing controls are the ones who have never actually played it! I guess it is their loss though as their blinkered view has robbed them of playing one of the best games of the year (on any console).

hencam[uk];1013196 said:
Evidently he doesn't feel they're well-honed controls then...

hencam[uk];1013196 said:

You sound more like a fanboy who feel threatened by someone objecting to the idea that the controls are bad.

hencam[uk];1013196 said:
I suppose some people have the attention span of a gnat and skip 30 second cutscenes
And yet there has been so many complaints about the lack of RPGs on the Wii, especially the noticeable change of Paper Mario. Games such as Monster Hunter 3, Tales of Grace, Arc Rise Fantasia, Muramasa and a bunch of other games. Because it is a well know fact that RPGs are known for little dialogue and short cutscenes.

I sat down for 10 hours of gameplay to get to the good part Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of a New World.

hencam[uk];1013196 said:
I didn't realize you were still playing pong (see what I did there?). As far as knobs, we all know that is used for things such as doors, ovens, faucets.

Hopefully you are talking about Analog sticks, the pinnacle invention of Nintendo for the N64, something that Sony incorporated into a playstation controller remake because it became required for maneuvering in the 3-D realm. Of course the other option is to use tank controls.

As far as claiming "random stick waggling" its a complaint on games that make it a bad delivering on the controls. That is a valid argument for any platform. The Wii Motion Plus sensor is being developed for a reason.

hencam[uk];1013196 said:
Super Smash Bros. Brawl not getting media attention? RE4 for the gamecube sold really well, over 1 million. I am sure all the games you own never got any media attention.

hencam[uk];1013196 said:
I don't consider myself 'hardcore' or any particular type of gamer
Yeah Right. The only reason your defending this game because you always need to defend the reputation of the Nintendo console. Nintendo has always had an imagery problem. The Nintendo Wii is being called "Casual". The Gamecube was called kiddie. The N64 for being absurdly expensive and the only generation console to not use CDs. The Super Nintendo for censorship.

Nintendo has always dealt with some issues with their image. Whats new?

hencam[uk];1013196 said:
I just want to play games that are fun and offer something new
And Madworld isn't anything revolutionary. This game doesn't stand out as unique.

hencam[uk];1013196 said:
when the Wii is at it's best, that's what you get, and it's why I still have one.
Of course one is going to own a Wii when its at its "best." People support the Xbox360 at it's "best." People support the PS3 at it's "best." What would you expect from any console when it is at it's "best?" To be mediocre?

hencam[uk];1013196 said:
As something that's intended to be fun
What did you expect the intentions of a game to be, boring?

hencam[uk];1013196 said:
if you're looking for the next messiah in gaming then you're mistaken, but there's no denying there is a lot of fun to be had from the game.

The Messiah of gaming has already come and his name is Shigeru Miyamoto.

hencam[uk];1013196 said:
Again, it's not revolutionary. You said the game was "unique" yet unlockables via gameplay is not. Gears of War has chain saws. Quake had chain saws. I have a chain saw and two for doubling. Also, Onimusha already has Katanas. Besides, Light sabers are so much cooler. As for the game being hard, I am sure it ranks right up there with Ninja Gaiden, Contra series, F-zero and the legendary Battle Toads.

hencam[uk];1013196 said:

As for everything stated as a whole, it sounds like it was ripped off from IGN. Which makes me wonder if you have the capacity to really develop opinions of your own?

Back