You tell me which game to buy next please?!!

alchimaera

WiiChat Member
Jan 22, 2012
UK
OK so I've had a Wii for a few years, I bought into (got nagged into it actually) the novelty wireless thingy to play with my kids on Wii sports, Wii Fit and the like. I never considered it a serious gaming machine compared to my PSOne and PS2 which picked up and ran with my love of PC gaming from back in the mid 90s. I love the PS controls and am a dab hand at them. So I never considered buying 'games' for the Wii until a friend of mine told me about the lego Harry Potter that she'd been playing on her iphone ad I decided to give it a go for the Wii. I never bothered with them for the PS2 - I think the Lego label put me off as I thought it was a 'build your own lego world' type of deal, which didn't interest me. Unfortunatley I can't afford a PS3 at the moment so I want to try and explore what my Wii might be able to offer me instead. My favourite PS games have in fact always been the original PSOne games such as Spyro 2 (still the best game I've ever played) harry potter for PSOne (the PS2 versions just turned shoot 'em up and lost me) Crash, 40 winks, Discworld and other very basic shoot 'ems like Zena, Tomorrow never dies and occasionally more difficult stuff like Alone in the dark (but usually only with the aid of cheats lol).

I have a DS too, which I've enjoyed playing Zelda on, but the Wii Zeldas seem to be more fighting/shoot 'em ups rather than puzzle games?? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So I love the Lego Harry Potter on the Wii. I could stand more difficulty, but the general concept of blowing stuff up, building useful objects, collecting coins, working out the little puzzles and bonus play all appeal to my inner childlike gamer. I don't like sports games or heavy shoot 'em ups, especially ones where the difficulty is such that you just die every 2 seconds unless you're an expert - I dont mind trying a few times but more than a few and I get bored especially if I have to repeat large sections since the last save. I saw a game the other day whose only female character was a stripper - YUK. I'm as much an original Lara fan as the next oldie gamer but I don't want anything only designed for Nuts readers.

So, anything like the Lego stuff (I have ordered the rest of the series). Anything like the Spyro games would be good - where you have to complete games and challenges, not just 2D platforms where you go around shooting enemies and collecting stuff for no apparent reason (like the early sonic stuff). Any suggestions for interesting but not too challenging adventure games? Oh and fairly obviously stuff that I can play by myself; although playing cooperatively is fun and a nice optional extra, I need to be able to complete the game alone too.

Oh and with the anticipation that you might suggest something interesting but a bit hard - can you play Wii games with cheats? If so, how?

Thanks everyone and happy gaming!

I never played it myself, but I've heard of a adventure/puzzle Wii game called Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure. The name might sound stupid, but from what I've heard, it was a fantastic puzzle game. Also heard that it was really difficult towards the end, though...

I'm not recommending it since I haven't played it myself, but hopefully someone else on Wiichat could detail the game more for ya.

Easily some of the most famous adventure/platforming game series, you can never go wrong with the fantastic games Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2. They aren't puzzle games like Zelda, but define the adventure game genre. Really fun, and not really difficult.

I have a DS too, which I've enjoyed playing Zelda on, but the Wii Zeldas seem to be more fighting/shoot 'em ups rather than puzzle games?? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Nope, Zelda is a puzzle-adventure game through and through for whatever game console you play it on, be it the Nintendo 64, the DS, or the Wii. The only exception is Link's Crossbow Training, which is just coincidentally on the Wii, and is indeed a shooting game. Just ignore that game and buy the Twilight Princess and/or Skyward Sword Zelda games instead. Crossbow Training is the only modern Zelda game to not follow suit.

I would also highly recommend The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker. It was a game for the Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo's console prior to the Wii. Since it's quite a few years old, it's a very cheap but very enjoyable game. The reason I'm mentioning it is since you've played the Legend of Zelda game(s) on the DS, which are actually sequels to Zelda: Wind Waker.

While the game Red Steel 2 is an action game and doesn't have many adventure or puzzle elements, I would personally recommend it simply because it's a fantastic game, and may change your mind about games more combat oriented. Red Steel 2 is all about fast-paced fighting action via swordplay and shooting with your gun of choice; since you're not a fan of games that are strictly shooters, you'll probably like the fact you can forsake your gun through the entire game. I've gone through the entire game using only my sword, and to be honest, I thought it was more fun that way too. :lol: The game doesn't have any sort of incredible difficulty either. The game gives you as many tutorials as you need, and also gives you difficulties to choose from too, so if you're worried about having a tough time there's always easy mode. =)

Of course, if you are really against purchasing a game that's all about fighting and action, then I suppose you might want to ignore Red Steel 2. It really is that fun of a game though, hence why I bothered mentioned a game not pertaining to your video game tastes.

Oh and with the anticipation that you might suggest something interesting but a bit hard - can you play Wii games with cheats? If so, how?

Very few games have cheat codes built in anymore these days; it's a shame, I know. =( Instead, the games usually have game modes that are easier than normal (or harder than normal for the players that want even more of a challenge), just as Red Steel 2 does.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for your help! I'm ebaying for Zelda right now and will look into the others you suggested too :yesnod:

Back