Your opinions on weapons and tactics

squidward

WiiChat Member
May 7, 2013
Two weapons that I don't use myself, but others use quite often are the grenade launcher, and the remote timed mine. Users of the grenade launcher are generally scorned, while the r.t.m. is generally respected. In my opinion the two are nearly identical when the r.t.m. is thrown at a target and immediately detonated. So my question is what do you think? Are they really that different when used in the same manner to achieve the same result?

By the way I personally have no problem with either, and think that a player can use any weapon or tactic they choose.

Totally different...

The noob tube requires very little skill to get a kill - just aim at the ground in front of someone and pull the trigger. It is also an extremely CHEAP kill in that it has unlimited effective range.

The RTM is different in that you only get 2 per life (3 if hero). You can't run over an "unused" one in a gun and get more. Also, because they are manually detonated, they can be used in more different ways - not just as exploding frisbees. They can be left as "traps" for on-coming enemies, or even adhered to the backs of teammates, thus making them "running bombs!" Additional skill is required to use RTMs because you are unable to use your gun while deploying and detonating, leaving you open for attack - strategy required.

Also, unlike the noob tube which is available on a preset from day 1, a player actually has to "earn" them by achieving level 35 to unlock them.

Running around at ground level with the grenade launcher is a generally stupid and lazy way to play and indicative of a 2-dimensional player or someone who is just f'ing around. The only times I use it is for fun (part of an explosives loadout) and shoot from an elevated viewpoint. The further you are from your target the more skill it requires which once again can be a fun challenge but not part of a winning loadout or strategy.

RTMs take a lot of skill and can be even more effective than proxies when used well. The exception is when they're used while camping. Just sitting and waiting for someone to come along is fun and all but not a good use of your time if you want to win.

Here's a video by Koopa[E7] demonstrating effective use of the RTM (starting at 0:24):

[video=youtube;e7zrbvvkXhw]http://youtu.be/e7zrbvvkXhw?t=24s[/video]

Last edited:
I think it looks like Koopa demonstrating how effective lag is...
lol.gif

Great points on the skill required for RTMs. But when they're used as "exploding frisbees" they are the effective equivalent of the grenade launcher. So I would say let the noobs have their fun, we were all there once, without a chance of victory. And I don't even mind the higher ranked players using it, it actually makes my job easier. Nothing I love more than facing unsilenced weapons (masterson included).

Mike, there are a lot of better video out there for effective use of the RTM.
Black Ram/Legend has some great montages. My montage is a joke compared to that.

Also i disagree with them being as bad as a grenade launcher.
By a gigantic margin. Now if you had said proxies...

Last edited:
RTM's can be OP...but only when the person using them has skill.

T00bers rarely have skill and just use it for cheap kills.

Summary: Toobin is cheap - RTM using requires skill. They are miles away from being similar, that's just my opinion off course :)

Back