2v2 fun

well godwind warned me about videos, they seem like way too much work if we don't really have good computers(which i don't) so i might just make it so that you send them to me and i watch to see who won and or any campers, spoilers etc. if i find and easier way to upload them i'll do it but they wont be edited like godwinds.

I'd be willing to take on the job of editing/encoding videos if no one else can or wants to, I have a good computer for that type of thing (Mac Pro). The only thing I don't have that I'd need is a video capture device, but I've been meaning to get one for a while now. Anyways, I realize it's a lot of work but editing videos is kind of a hobby of mine.

ok then fine with me.
i would like to attempt to get a 1v1 league up once i actually fix this one.
i do however ask for help because am not much of a leader. i would like to start a schedule of some sort and even a body(mush like asb) but it might be unnecessary seeing how little of us they are. but i do wanna make this league better so as i said before, if there are any suggestions let me know.

edit (double post sorry :/)

I would love to help you out, Jon. Even though I'm too busy to brawl most of the time, I always manage to get time to check up on Wiichat often enough...and I've been pretty annoyed at the lack of leader commitment to some of these competitions in general.

2v2 fun probably won't get too much larger because it requires more participation and participant commitment, but a 1v1 league would have more success anyway. It's looser weight on the members (for not having to keep track of a teammate), there's enough individuals willing, uncommitted members won't slow down the league, and individuals setting up a match is much easier (than getting 4 people together with 2v2). Also, these same people tend to get turned off by the pressure of tournaments, so a league might suit them better. It might as well be formatted as well as possible because if we underestimate the turnout, you'd have to make the format more organized later anyway.

A big appreciation on the video editting front, real-o. Which reminds me: If we can get video recordings of these, it would attract more players.

Last edited:
yes bio i agree. i think we should go more into the specifics now.

first topic matches.
obviously have to be only 3 minutes long because of recordings, i personally don't like weapons but i think i'll leave that option to those who are participating.
any other ideas for rules on matches.

yes bio i agree. i think we should go more into the specifics now.

first topic matches.
obviously have to be only 3 minutes long because of recordings, i personally don't like weapons but i think i'll leave that option to those who are participating.
any other ideas for rules on matches.

How about banning gay stages and no edgehogging.

I threw up a quick template we can start with. Everything is subject to change.

Pre-Match guidelines (subject to change):
There may be more, but here are some guidelines that should be followed (subject to change, of course):
-It's up to the players to challenge each other. Once both players agree, the host must be notified by posting in the thread or PMing the host directly.
-Players must also agree on a time to meet online to play.
-At least one match every month. If there is need for delay, PM the host in advance (after the delay deadline, you must resume with the fixed month-by-month deadlines). Failure to play in a timely manner will result in deducted points for both players (*this should be discussed further)

Match guidelines (subject to change):

-Best 2 out of 3
-2 stock
-Items or no items should be agreed by the opponents
-No suicide KOs (see: Kirby, Bowser, and more) or other "cheap" moves
-Permitted Stages only
-3-minute time (3-Stock and unrestricted time are each optional if you have a camera yourself, but it must be recorded and sent)
-Saving and sending match video is encouraged, but not necessary

Video-recorded matches

I hate that it has to be reduced to 3 mins, but it's for the greater good of drawing in players if video is included with this. I have a video-capable digital camera, though, so say I entered the league and someone played me, then time could be unrestricted so long that I record and send the matches myself (at decent quality).

Also, if we are going to use video, I suggest Godwind's method (especially since he doesn't plan to host a league himself anymore). Anyway, the method is that players MUST save the matches to their Wii or SD cards and send them to the host (or whoever else is responsible) of this league so that the video can then be editted and placed onto a Youtube account and uploaded onto this thread for viewing. If the player doesn't have a SD card, this requires that the player and the "video editor" exchange Wii Codes so it can be sent through the Wii.

The only thing I would change is that this be an optional thing so that there isn't too much responsibility on the participants. I feel like having them tell us the outcome is good enough since it can still be recorded. It also might turn off the more casual participants for having to put so much work into something they just want to have fun with. And finally, since we would hopefully be showcasing video, that alone might encourage people to start saving and sending their matches.

I want other people's opinions on this.

Stages

As far as homosexual stages go, it was heavily discussed in the "Brawl Tournament" thread and led to these banned stages:

Banned Stages:
Shadow Moses Island
Hanebrow
Norfair
Warioware
Mushroomy Kingdom
Mario Bros
75m
Rumble Falls
Green Hill Zone
Pirate Ship
Mario Kart
Port Town Aero Dive
Flatzone
Pictochat
Spear Pillar
Pokemon Stadium 2
Pokemon Stadium(Melee)
Temple(Melee)
Brinstar(Melee)
Rainbow Cruise(Melee)
Jungle Japes(Melee)

I think it's worth emulating, really. All the choices are understandable. But others should discuss it.

Last edited:
Match guidelines (subject to change):

There may be more, but here are some guidelines that should be followed (subject to change, of course):
-3 stock
-Items or no items should be agreed by the opponents
-No suicide KOs (see: Kirby, Bowser, and more)
-Permitted Stages only
-3-minute time (unrestricted time is optional if you have a camera yourself)

Video-recorded matches

I hate that it has to be reduced to 3 mins, but it's for the greater good of drawing in players if video is included with this. I have a video-capable digital camera, though, so say I entered the league and someone played me, then time could be unrestricted so long that I record and send the matches myself (at decent quality).

I agree on the 3 minute thing, I prefer to take it to be bitter end. Also, I suggest for timed matches a rule regarding not running away if you're about to win due to the time limit.

Add Ganondorf to the suicide KOs list. :devil:

Also, if we are going to use video, I suggest Godwind's method (especially since he doesn't plan to host a league himself anymore). Anyway, the method is that players MUST save the matches to their Wii or SD cards and send them to the host (or whoever else is responsible) of this league so that the video can then be editted and placed onto a Youtube account and uploaded onto this thread for viewing.

I agree, this is a great method. My only suggestion regarding using your own digital camera is that there must be a ... say at least 5 to 10 seconds of video of the results screen after each match just in case for those close matches where both (or all) players are almost KO'd but one goes first. Just to be sure.

Hm, I just realized that there isn't a results screen when playing a replay. Maybe a close-up of the bottom of the screen showing who won?

The only thing I would change is that this be an optional thing so that there isn't too much responsibility on the participants. I feel like having them tell us the outcome is good enough since it can still be recorded. It also might turn off the more casual participants for having to put so much work into something they just want to have fun with. And finally, since we would hopefully be showcasing video, that alone might encourage people to start saving and sending their matches.

Not a bad idea... but what would happen in the event of a dispute between, for example, two teams of relatively "new" people?

I agree with all of the banned stages as well, though I kinda like the Pirate Ship, it'd be perfectly fine if not for the catapult and occasional other ships shooting at you. I have no suggestions for other bans.

Hey everyone i'm back in the brawl game!
Just got my wii today :D
Took awhile of calling gamestop to see if they had any :lol:

BIRDMASTER!! That's great news. :thumbsup: It's about time. :lol:

Last edited:
I agree on the 3 minute thing, I prefer to take it to be bitter end. Also, I suggest for timed matches a rule regarding not running away if you're about to win due to the time limit.

Add Ganondorf to the suicide KOs list. :devil:

I agree, this is a great method. My only suggestion regarding using your own digital camera is that there must be a ... say at least 5 to 10 seconds of video of the results screen after each match just in case for those close matches where both (or all) players are almost KO'd but one goes first. Just to be sure.

Hm, I just realized that there isn't a results screen when playing a replay. Maybe a close-up of the bottom of the screen showing who won?

Not a bad idea... but what would happen in the event of a dispute between, for example, two teams of relatively "new" people?

I agree with all of the banned stages as well, though I kinda like the Pirate Ship, it'd be perfectly fine if not for the catapult and occasional other ships shooting at you. I have no suggestions for other bans.

BIRDMASTER!! That's great news. :thumbsup: It's about time. :lol:

Very true :lol:
Should have got my fc :lol:
Damn i have to unlock everything again X_X

well i don't like the idea of no suicide ko's for one reason(which might be disagreed with)
if you are good enough then get around it, all the suicide ko's are gennerally slow or is a equal loss. i do however agree that they are cheap ko's but just because of that i don't think it worth banning.
unless it is spammed.

as regards to the stock, i say we try 3 and if its too many we'll change it back to 2.

also i would like to have someone in charge of the video's because not everyone has a card reader, those who don't can message someone the video through the wii (let me know if this can't be done i haven't checked.)

last but not least i think that there shouldn't be any banned stages, those who are helping out with the development will watch the videos and see if they are abusing the stages whether it'd be camping or anything else. if so the win goes to the (original)loser and the (original)winner loses points, i feel this way again because if you are good you should be able to work around the stage's faults. just like a ninja they use their surroundings also to help them fight.

feedback please.

well i don't like the idea of no suicide ko's for one reason(which might be disagreed with)
if you are good enough then get around it, all the suicide ko's are gennerally slow or is a equal loss. i do however agree that they are cheap ko's but just because of that i don't think it worth banning.
unless it is spammed.

as regards to the stock, i say we try 3 and if its too many we'll change it back to 2.

also i would like to have someone in charge of the video's because not everyone has a card reader, those who don't can message someone the video through the wii (let me know if this can't be done i haven't checked.)

last but not least i think that there shouldn't be any banned stages, those who are helping out with the development will watch the videos and see if they are abusing the stages whether it'd be camping or anything else. if so the win goes to the (original)loser and the (original)winner loses points, i feel this way again because if you are good you should be able to work around the stage's faults. just like a ninja they use their surroundings also to help them fight.

feedback please.

Suicide KO's aren't always slow or an equal loss. Example: player 1 is KO'd by player 2. Player 2 has 150% damage, and uses a suicide KO on player 1. Player 1 is now KO'd twice (cheaply with no damage) while player 2 is only once. Kirby sometimes can do it without suiciding too. Bowser and Ganondorf can perform it relatively quickly (both are side special), and both will grab you, preventing escape. You have to see it coming somehow to really avoid it. Funny we should be talking about this, I just used that tactic to win a match last night. :lol: But aside from that, I've done it by accident, just because they got in my way (edgehog) while I was trying to recover.

Regarding banned stages, I think stages like Port Town Aero Dive and Big Blue should just never be used. (Was Big Blue on Bio's list? ..... Nope.) And at the Spear Pillar, sometimes you just can't avoid Cresselia's boomerang thing, like it follows you or something. WarioWare has those activities that make you big or invincible, which I would say is over the line of fair play in a match without items. And 75m? Lol. Worst stage ever. Just try to charge an up smash instead of climbing the ladders, I dare ya. FlatZone and Pictochat are pretty hazardous too, perhaps even unavoidably so. All the stages that move automatically (Rumble Falls, Rainbow Cruise, etc.) also suck. But I guess if both players (or teams) agree to it then there isn't a problem. That's my feedback.

Last edited:
i meant they are equal in the sense that both players loose a life, besides bowswers is really all the fast and is easy to see coming. i'm just saying it can be dodged and shouldn't be band because its a part of the game therefore your tactics should include evasiveness toward cheap moves.

again banned stages shouldn't exist because either way both people have to agree to them anyway.

We need a new thread for 1v1 League Discussion. Since I didn't start this, it should be up to JonRyan.

@Real-o:

-Match Format: We are discussing a potential 1v1 League that JonRyan wants to start, not this thread's league (yeah, we need a new thread).

-Time: For not running away at the end of 3 minutes...Fair enough. It should at least be mentioned in the rules.

-Stock: For narrow victories like that in stock match, the video will show who lost the stock first at the bottom of the screen. It would just be a matter of pausing the footage.

-Video: Regrding the potential dispute over video, good call. They should agree on video or no video.

-The Pirate Ship: Yeah, I can understand that. Discussion should continue about the ban list before anything changes, though.

@JonRyan:

-Suicide-KOs: Eh, most can be avoided, but some might be too dominant even for experienced players. But you have a point. So yeah, we'll try it. If it gets out of hand, some kind of rule should be placed (such as cheap use results in stat-deduction of some kind?).

-Stock: Yeah, we can try it.

-Video: Real-o is a good canditate if he's willing. If not, I can give it a shot.

-Stages: I don't mind if all stages are open. It might even make things more fun with daring players. If you don't include banned stages, though, then they must agree on the stage beforehand, and one stage throughout, so that someone can't slip in a stage the other didn't agree to. Also, this pre-planning will make them responsible for its outcome.

Last edited:
did you read my post before you posted that ??

cause i went over that stuff.(not being rude actual question b/c idk how to reply.)

edit: not to mention that most of us won't be relying on suicide ko's because we all seem to follow the same honor system. i want all matches to have video's so we won't have to worry about cheap wins overall. like i said if suicide ko's are abused or spammed they wont count.

of course if you both feel that strong about it i'll eliminate them completely, you are helping me out in this so we all more or less have equal power.

Last edited:
Back